Leading VS Trailing arm

501Brandon

I thought I knew what it was but I am confused again having read a few different threads... Passing thru the gate the lead arm would be my right and the trailing arm would be my left? I am just getting comfortable at 28' off and ran my first 32' yesterday and want more! What I contribute my success to on the 32' pass was I made an effort to NOT stare at the buoy... It wasnt pretty but I ran it, the 35 attempt ended just around 1 with a ton of slack... Reading alot of the advice in other posts makes tons of sense except where I am now which is a little confused with Lead/Trail...

• Administrators
Ditto. Going to 1/3/5 your trailing arm is your left. The more power you can transfer to your trailing arm (without bicep excretion [Exertion]) the better . Many skiers think about squeezing the left hand or pulling the left shoulder back. Do not over exaggerate this. This is simply a subtle way to adjust your alignment with the boat and get the load on the arm that will not be letting go.

OK thanks! I thought I understood it correctly... Ultimatley this should "square" my shoulders to the boat creating a more leveraged position?

Its simply amazing how many body adjustments even so very slight can make such an huge difference... Thanks for the input fellas!

• Baller
I have really concentrated on this aspect of skiing for the last 2 months or so. I think that it has made the biggest difference in my consistancy. I usually try and concentrate on two things as I ski; and this has been one of them. Also, I found it important to think about it right from the start; from the pull out at the gates and transfering pressure from right arm to left at the turn in for the gates. For another aspect on what to think about; i try to drive my trailing arm elbow into my hip bone. If I can feel my elbow on my hip, I know I am in good position.