Goode Fire Mid first ride

ForrestGump

• Baller
Goode Mid Fire showed up last night. Pulled it out of the box, velcroed my bindings on, and went and skied. Didn't even check the fin. Ran right up to pb of 3 at 35 on first set. LOT of room for improvement. LOT bigger sweet spot than the Elite. Now I will say that I skied on a friends 9960 Mid twice over the previous two weeks. To be honest with you, I don't know that I could tell a difference between the non assymetric Fire and the Assymetric 9960. I certainly wouldn't pass up a FIRE, even though it's their base ski and $400 cheaper.

• Baller

Shane

Please tell me more on the Fire. I was on a 9900SL wide ride which is now broken. I am about to order a MID next week.

Do I really need to spend 400 more for the 9960SL? Will I miss the asymmetry? I will need a 66" I weigh 210 6' 3". Will the mid be enough ski for my weight or should I go with another wide ride. The wide comes around a little too fast for me and I was hoping the MID would be perfect.

Any suggestions would be great!

• Baller

After trying them both, I think the assymetry thing is nothing but a placebo. I cannot tell a difference between the 65 mid fire and the 65 mid 9960 which is assymetric. If you covered the top of both of them, I wouldn't be able to tell you which is which. Now, that said where the 9960 might have some benefit to you is that you can get 3 flexes, whereas the Fire is one flex.

One clarification on the numbers that were shipped. I measured with tips. Goode measures jaws. When measured with jaws, mine showed up as 6.795. Put it at 6.872, 2.495, and .720 dft and it really comes around nicely on both sides.

• Baller
F, no. Means being addicted to spending $1500 or more every year on a ski. Please allow me to whine for a moment - I'd like to be in the "club", but I have to keep me and two growing boys on appropriate water ski (multiple events) and snow ski (multiple conditions/events) every year. I am so screwed. Maybe I should be in the "one season old, used Goode club".

• Baller
Was just discussing that exact point with someone the other night. We can't afford to do both "the right way". Should pick one like most people and go whole hog, but love both too much. Oh, and one boy is also playing club and school volleyball and the other is a budding pole vaulter. Fun, fun, fun. Wouldn't trade this time with the kids, though, for anything.

• Baller

Skipped Nationals to take the kids to a water park in Texas and then spend 5 days at my parents in Oklahoma. Tubing in a river, hiking in the Wichita mountains, farm pond fishing with a bobber and worm, small town parade. Skied a few sets along the way but not a priority. Really enjoyed it and made me think seriously about slowing it all down a bit.

Sorry to get off topic.

I like Goode skis I ski on 9800 with hard shells. bought it new when it came out when I had a good job. can not afford a new one now so I only ski once or twice on the ski every other week and save it for tournaments and then I don't go to allot because it is the best ski I have ever had and I know that when I ware it out I might not be able to afford a new one. absolutely love the way it don't put me on my head if a little out of position across the wake. Goode customer service is also very nice and has been very good to me.

All very nice equipment and enjoy reading about how nice the new stuff is but dose it really need to be so expensive ? I mean jumpers get two ski for the price of one Goode ski. My Goodman jumpers don't break down and I paid as much if not more then a new Goode slalom.

guys and gals who are getting these ski's, you are really lucky and I hope you know this and appreciate it.

Happy skiing........................................

• Baller
My 9960 is skiing great after a full year +. They are expensive, but if you are getting a traditonal shape 9960SL or the new fire the price is comparable to most other skis. There are some breakage issues, but from some recent posts Goode seems to be doing a better job of addressing this.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have not looked at the web sight in a while and have read so much about Nano. I just thought the price was comparable but it is not. wow happy as if my request was granted.

So the 9960 is the next affordable goode...... how will that compare to the 9800? If I have missed the comparison please forgive me. I have been healing the last month.

Kind regards

Pole vaulting rocks! I'm 187 and recently switched from a 65 mid right to a 66 mid left. Bouy count is about the same, but the 66 seems to be easier on the body and less work. I'm not "good" enough to tell the difference between the right and left...

• Baller

I feel good in saying that if you like the 9800 you will like the 9900 even better. I had 2 9800's in the past. A regular and an SL the first year that they made them. I would take the 9900SL that I have now over either of those. I would really like to try a Fire and the SL side by side and with the same paint job.

BTW. Between the 9800SL and my current 9900 I rode almost everything out there. Over 3 seasons about the only ski I did not try was the Warp. I kept ski-it-again hot for a long time with cast offs until coming back to the black and orange. They just work.

• Baller

The turning point for me was when I watched the 2009 Big Dawg which was on webcast TV. In my circle there were very few Goodes. But on the webcast 70% were on a Goode, I couldn't believe it. I picked up a real nice 9900 on ski it again for $900. My bouy count went up 4 bouys, it was so damn fun. I was on cloud nine. As Scot said, they just work.

I think Shane is a smart man for saving the money and getting the fire. Dirt needs to pick one up, money back guarantee.

• Baller
The thing is, I have the money. Hell, I have the money for a nano. But in my mind, I think a good bit of the hype is just that.......hype. I don't put a lot of faith in the assymetric design. I seriously can't tell a difference between the 9960SL Mid and my Fire Mid. I rode that 9960 again the other day back to back with the Fire and they feel identical. I held out for the last year with JD and MIke Erb telling me it just skis better. And when I can jump on it my first set and equal my pb, then there is something to that. Normally, I don't take care of my skis. I leave em in the back of the truck day in and day out, uncovered. But this one I am taking better care of. Hopefully it takes care of me.

yea Black and orange works for me all right. Ok jump on it and ski PB lets talk about going past the pb. how many past a pb are we talking and how long until it was a full pass and half and two passes? why buy a nano then this sounds good and only question is what size? mid fat? should I tip?

personally I just feel good on the equipment I have and enjoy it but do want to go shorter..... something about counter rotation not sure if the ski can help me with that.

• Baller

Regarding the comparison of the 9800 series to the 9900's. That is a bit hard as I had the better part of 3 seasons on 4 different ski brands between the 98 and 99. (Plus a handful of rides on a lot of other skis) I would say possibly a bit more balanced in the turn and a little easier to angle. It is more of a refinement of the 9800 instead of a major change in feel ala the 9700 to 9800.

As for 34 vs 36. It doesn't matter. You might change ski size, flex, or bevel, but the design works at any speed. I ski a lot of 36 as well as 34 including 2 tourney's this year. Todd R. rode Goodes for years at 36 including a second place in a pro tour stop before going to the A2 this year. CP has had some pro tour issues, but others like Adam S. are ripping on it. I think there is a little bias among younger skiers characterizing the Goode as an "old guy" ski. That and the fact that they don't give out much if any free stuff likely lowers their numbers among the younger crowd.

I was on a Mid last year and a Nano Mid this year. In my mind, it is more than hype. Now last year's ski was too short for me, but I can feel this Nano is better in many ways. Mainly, my on-side is amazing. I have run more 38s than I ever have and I've only been skiing about month injury free. Is it worth $2k? Probably not, but I'm happy with it.

It may be a coincidence, but this ski is more durable than my last year's Mid. That Mid, every time I touched it, it left a mark. The Nano is not as durable as say a D3, but it is much better than last years.

• Baller
Dave, I was talking more about the difference between the Fire and the 9960. Is the 9960 worth the extra $400? I'd have a hard time saying yes considering they feel exactly the same to me, even though the fire is nuetral and the 9960 was foot forward specific.

wow I can't believe I am actually considering this but I have to ask.

I am noticing good things when I slalom. getting wide on the inside edge when I used to round the corner with speed. skiing back the handle nicely at 28 and most of the time at 32. extra intensity at 35 still gives me trouble but I can tell if I skied more it might go down. I have traditional 9800 168amp I am 175lbs 5'11" and shrinking.

which one should I try

9960 traditional mid wide? amp 166 178 188? /my pick178amp but I question that/

fire traditional mid wide? amp 166 178 188? /my pick178amp but I question that/

can anyone recommend AMP I am kind of in the middle. my skiing style is taking the gate from as high on the boat as possible. you know

I can honestly say that if I did not have this 9800 I would not slalom I love it that much. I have become much smoother on it.

personally from reading all of the posts and actually looking at the web sight this time ;) I am leaning to the 9960 as the better value. I suspect that being middle of the line it might be stronger or at least more beefy.

Hey Dirt are you still hanging out in dark ally's? you take care and thanks for what you do.