2012 Season/Rankings

501Brandon

It was mentioned that the 2012 Ski season is here and if I understand correctly any event after "Nationals" is counted toward 2012? Looking at the rankings list I am curious if you just run slalom and dont trick or jump does it affect your ranking or are they seperate? I have not participated in any C class events yet but have made the decision to start skiing AWSA events since the other league doesnt really push much slalom anymore (at least around here). I have also noticed that there seem to be more "Record" events than regular events, does this mean that the general attitude will be more serious and guys are less approachable trying to concentrate or "get in the zone"? Best I can tell being 40 I would be Mens 3? I know there are a lot of questions embedded here, sorry... I am also sure these answers are in the rule book somewhere. Thanks again guys for sharing all your knowledge and experience.

• Baller

You are mens 3, top tourney speed 34 mph. 2012 season began after nationals and is here. Need 3 tourney scores to not have a % penalty applied to your buoy count. If ski 3 good scores right after nationals, might be ranked pretty high before other high-end skiers start making their way through some tourneys. End of ski year ranking is more honest assessment of where one is really at compared to others.

For example, I was 13th last fall with an average of 3@ 38, but same buoy count has me at #65 or so after the year is through in M3.

As far as record or class C...I think just about everyone is pretty friendly and wants nothing more than to see each person ski to or beyond their potential. The more personal bests the better. Driver's love to pull PB's, too.

It's especially fun to go with friends, cuz someone is bound to ski well. I've tanked a few over the years but if a buddy skis a PB it's still reason to celebrate. Sometimes magic happens like my bro, his son, and I all getting a PB at same tourney.

For me, very helpful to go without a score expectation. Sure, it's in my head, but if I'm running some 38's in practice and think I have to run 38 I generally over pressure and ski like dung. Better for me to go in with the idea that if I can run 35's and get SHOTS at 38, I'm happy. The deeper I go on 38 is just gravy if it happens and icing if I get out of the pass.

Thanks Bogan and 6ball... I found the rule book but either I am not understanding it or it jumps around alot... I saw on some lists that there were "levels" as well... My question today is if you show up as a new skier and ski Mens 3 would I be ranked any different than the guys that have been skiing these events for multiple years? I would like to attempt to qualify for regionals next year but am told I have to meet an "EP"? and in the same sentence I couldnt be told what the EP was but was likely to be a few buoys at 35' off... I am mainly trying to get my target down so I have a focal point. I will still go regardless if its out of reach or not just curious of what I would need to be at for a shot at regionals...

• Baller

Klondike, go ski in some tournaments. The EP ranking doesn't exist anymore it goes by the levels. The first year after I started skiing in tournaments I qualified for regionals (just barely I was the first skier off the dock) in Mens 3. At that time your average needed to be a few at 28 off to qualify for regionals. Skiers that have been skiing for multiple years don't have any advantage. Scores roll off your ranking after a year so multiple years of scores don't help.

Go ski some tournaments and have some fun. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have them. Everyone I have met has been great.

• Baller

I would say don't go with the goal of regionals perse. Go to have some fun. Try not to think of it as a tourney, but a chance to take 3 rounds practice on a great site behind a great boat.

You will meet great people, some who are likely to become friends...and in general all will pull for you.

Absolutely recommend going to the 3 rounders. Even if you screw up you got to ski three times...how cool is that?

Go to enough of them to eliminate any percentage penalty (3), and see where your scores shake out.

Check this out.

Last year my bro and I go to skiwatch in FL for 6 rounds (we live in MN). He skied there the year before and met some great people. We end up staying in one of the residents homes...arriving on Thursday. We skied Thurs and Fri, the tourney Sat and Sun, skied Monday a.m. and then on the plane home.

We shipped some ribs down there and cooked for a group on Thurs, went to a big fish fry and beer on Fri w/a lot of the skiers including pro skier Jodi Fisher who stopped by. One of the residents spouses skied her first tourney, and everyone was cheering for her...she was so excited.

Really pumped to go back there in a month. This is the kind of thing that can happen.

Bring a cooler w/snacks, sammies, fruit, drinks...it's a long day in the sun. Coffee thermos is not a bad idea, either as well as a shade structure, ground blanket and a comfy outdoor chair or two.

Get involved. Go out and change handles on the dock...no judges rating required and you will meet lots of skiers on the starting dock. Offer to help w/any set-up and tear down...the folks putting on the tourney appreciate it and you will get to know them as well.

• Baller
Allow me to correct some semi inaccuracies stated above. A skier's ranking is based on a running 12 month period, so the "2012 season" scores starting after Nationals is incorrect. The ranking is based on your best 3 scores (from 3 different tournaments). If you have only 1 score you face a 10% penalty, if only 2 scores, a 5% penalty. (I'm only referring to class C, if the tournaments are E,L,R it's different) Levels, as referred to, for example Level 9 is "elite or open" level 8 is nationals qualified, level 7 is regional qualified (for most regions) and has no bearing on local tournaments. Go to www.usawaterski.org, then click on "3 event" then click "Ranking Lists". Select "water skiing AWSA". Select your division (M3) and either look a "All" for national ranking or pick a region or state. Then click "display rankings". Also click on FAQ/Tips for more info. As relates to the rules, if you have specific questions, post 'em. I or someone else can help clarify them for you.

• Baller

Regional qualification depends on the region. Each region sets their own rules on how to qualify. For example, in the SCR, level 5 is the general qualification, but you can also qualify by placing in the top 5 in your state championship tournament.

Also, the exact cut-off buoy count/ranking for qualification isn't known until 3 weeks prior to the regional/national tournament (its based on the top so many percent of all skiers in that class). You can get an idea where it will be by looking at prior year ranking lists (i.e. 2011 Season, etc).

• Baller
Let's take a hypothetical situation and assume that the cut-off as referred to by Kelvin is today for regional/national qualifications. By looking at the ranking list COA (cut-off-average), qualification for nationals is 93.67 or 3.67 buoys at 35 off. This is level 8. To qualify for regional entry varies by region as Kelvin stated, but for the Southern Region it is level 7 and level 5 (per Kelvin) for SCR. These respectively are 87.4 (3.4 at 32 off) and 72.45 (.45 at 28 off). This will give you an idea of where you stand. Again take a look at the ranking list as I mentioned on my previous post.

• Baller

Hi Leon, help me understand the ski year concept as I apparently have it wrong. I thought a ski year was nationals to nationals as opposed to calendar year. I ran 3 tourneys shortly after nationals last year (2011) so no penalty. I understand this would still qualify me for 2012 nationals though my scores were not 2012 scores. Are my scores simply good for 12 months from when I ran them?

Further, how is my high rank explained right after running those scores...having a better score d/t lack of a penalty that was clearly applied to some skiers better than I...who later would be rightly ranked above me once their penalty gone?

THX

• Baller

In the system you can select rankings for 1) the previous 12 months or 2) a specific ski year. For the ski year rankings, those are from nationals to nationals. The previous 12 months scores look back over the last 12 months and scores roll off the system weekly. For nationals qualification, the cut-off is 3 weeks before nationals and uses the previous 12 months scores on that date. So, for 2012 Nationals qualification, scores from approximately Mid-July 2011 thru Mid-July 2012 will count for the ranking list. If you don't qualify that way, there are last chance qualifiers by beating the cutoff score in a record tournament during the 3 week period between the cutoff date and the start of nationals.

Hope this helps.

• Baller
Ski year was used when the "Rating" system (ie. Masters, EP) was used. When the switch was made "Rankings" it became a rolling 12 months average. Ski year (ie. Nationals to Nationals) is now only pertinent as to changing divisions. Your age as of Jan 1 determines what division you ski in for that ski year. Yes, you've go it as to penalty. If you skied 3 tournaments you had no penalty whereas another skier who only skied 1 would suffer a 10% penalty. For instance if he ran a full pass at 32 off (90) his average after penalty would reflect 81. All this assuming class "C" if "E" or higher the penalties are cut in half.