Coefficient X SL vs. A2

PurdueSkier

• Baller

I am looking for a new ski. I would love to get out and demo a few, but that may not be a real option this late in the season in the Midwest. There just aren't a lot of shops around here. So I have been looking at reviews online trying to get insight on what might work best for me. I am currently on a 68" monza (I think a 2006 version), and I am very comfortable on the ski. I can consistently get into 32' off. I am 6'-5" and 198 lbs. I was really interested in the BOS review of the HO Coefficient X SL. I am not a 39 off skier and maybe I don't need a pro-level ski. I am looking for something that will allow me to easily ski 32, 35, and maybe one day 38' off, and hopefully will put up with my not so perfect or consistent form. So after skiing both, what would your recommendation be between a Co X SL and an A2. I guess for kicks lets throw a used A1 in there also, although I don't think that would be my top pick. Also, what length of Co X SL should I try? They only make 67 and 69. They don't make a 68. I am a little concerned about going to a longer ski, even though that is what is on the HO chart.

Any thoughts would be great and thanks

• Administrators

I have not ridden the COX in a year but from what I recall.

The COX gets wide super - super easy. The A2 is a smoother ski as long as you have enough weight on your front foot at your on side turn. The A2 needs you to manage the rope from the second wake to the ball more than the COX.

In short the COX might be more forgiving but long term I think the A2 is a better ski.

I skied really good on both. Badal ran deep 41 on a COX prototype . . ....

• Administrators

I have not ridden the COX in a year but from what I recall.

The COX gets wide super - super easy. The A2 is a smoother ski as long as you have enough weight on your front foot at your on side turn. The A2 needs you to manage the rope from the second wake to the ball more than the COX.

In short the COX might be more forgiving but long term I think the A2 is a better ski.

I skied really good on both. Badal ran deep 41 on a COX prototype . . ....

• Baller
The HO S-2 is just the evolved version of the CoX. The 67.5 would be perfect for your size and weight. I am 6'4" @225 on the 67.5 S-2 and it is the easiest, most forgiving ski I have ever been on. I have tuned it to be just as fast as my Nano and it turns better. The A-2 was designed for 36mph, while the S-2 was designed for 34mph.

• Baller
The HO S-2 is just the evolved version of the CoX. The 67.5 would be perfect for your size and weight. I am 6'4" @225 on the 67.5 S-2 and it is the easiest, most forgiving ski I have ever been on. I have tuned it to be just as fast as my Nano and it turns better. The A-2 was designed for 36mph, while the S-2 was designed for 34mph.

• Baller_
Spent weeks on the COxSL thanks to the local proshop not really pushing the ski so I could demo it over several weeks. JTH is right on when he uses the word wide. Crazy wide. BTW no changes to the ski since JTH rode it. I loved that ski and to be honest it is very much on the top of my to buy list. It was effortless. I would also say very early and stable if not pushed. I skied it into 38. Rarely missed 35s and could ski with my eyes closed at 32 and 28. I think if I had played more with the fin I could have made it a super short line ski. I had a tendency to over turn at short line but that may be bad habits. If I let tge ski do it's thing it was......well ....... magical. I'm 5'10" 180 and the 67 was perfect. I think with your hight a 69 would work. My local proshop doesn't have a demo S2s yet but it would have to a far far better ski for me to shell out another $500. Obviously if other skiers are taking it way past 38, it's capable. Must be the SL version though. 10 days they say and I'll get a shot at the S2.

• Baller_
Spent weeks on the COxSL thanks to the local proshop not really pushing the ski so I could demo it over several weeks. JTH is right on when he uses the word wide. Crazy wide. BTW no changes to the ski since JTH rode it. I loved that ski and to be honest it is very much on the top of my to buy list. It was effortless. I would also say very early and stable if not pushed. I skied it into 38. Rarely missed 35s and could ski with my eyes closed at 32 and 28. I think if I had played more with the fin I could have made it a super short line ski. I had a tendency to over turn at short line but that may be bad habits. If I let tge ski do it's thing it was......well ....... magical. I'm 5'10" 180 and the 67 was perfect. I think with your hight a 69 would work. My local proshop doesn't have a demo S2s yet but it would have to a far far better ski for me to shell out another $500. Obviously if other skiers are taking it way past 38, it's capable. Must be the SL version though. 10 days they say and I'll get a shot at the S2.

• Baller

TTT

Anyone been on the S2 and the CoFXsL to compare the 2? As far as I can tell, same rocker, different concave and shape, same core, with less carbon...

I'm on an A1, and its a great ski, but a lot of work for my out of shape A$$... I'm at 34mph, 22-28off make a few at -32 on a good day...

• Baller
I'm with Horton. The COX is an amazing ski. Big "schoolbus" turns at 28, starts coming around nicely at 32, hooks up great at 35 and hold on at 38. The A-2 is a smoother through all rope lengths alternative. BUT, In my mind, the COX is the most fun. I am all about fun. I love the lake!