Slack at 32 Off

Garn

• Baller

I run 28 off about every 4th attempt. But when I try 32 off, I have a ton of slack in the rope at the end of the turn. My understanding tells me I am either pulling too long or I am riding a flat ski into the buoy. But I don't think I'm riding a flat ski. And as for pulling, I feel as if I'm pulling what I need to get to the buoy. Any suggestions? And no, I don't have any video. I'm running at 34 mph.

Thanks,

Garn

• Supporting Member

For the most part, you're thinking about the right stuff, but need to take one more step back in your analysis. Here's some thoughts:

32 off is much harder than -28, so you'll most likely have to get to more like 60% success at -28 before you can go anywhere at -32. But -15 and -22 are where you're going to be able to make changes and learn new things that eventually carry over to the challenge passes.

Slack is usually caused back in the portion from the turn-in to roughly the centerline. This is where you must establish angle and generate speed, both of which happen mainly through efficient leverage ("stacked") position. If this phase ends and you haven't got the right angle with enough speed, then you'll HAVE to keep pulling to get out to the buoy, and that will mean carrying too much speed at the end of the turn.

If you DO have enough speed and angle, and you are balanced on the ski, then your ski will carry out to the buoy line, and you'll have plenty of space to decelerate to the proper speed to turn back into a tight line.

As usual, a symptom occurs about 2 "stages" after the actual cause. And it's pretty darn untuitive that to avoid excess speed you need to generate MORE speed! It's just that you have to do it earlier.

Note that there was a very similar thread recently and most of those comments apply.

• Baller
@garn, how many are you getting @ 28 when you do not run it? Are you running 100% of your 22's? Are you getting a ton of slack @ 1 at 32, or are you running more than 1? Are you LFF or RFF?

• Baller

When I don't make 28, I normally get pretty close. I'm pretty consistant running my 22's. I'm on an 67" A1 and I weight 190 and I'm a right foot forward skier. My personal best is 3 @ 32. But normally I can't get past 2 ball at 32. I get the slack right from the beginning.

Thank you all for your help.

Garn

• Baller

@Garn,

As pointed out, probably you have something to correct starting @ 22. If you are getting pretty close on the rest of the 28's, and you are just getting 25% of them, you are probably muscling it down instead of running it properly.

Video would be fundamental to help you more. Can you get some? Even phone video would be useful.

• Baller

First advice I would give is that he gate should be passed between the buoys :-).

Jokes apart, with that gate 32 off would be out of the question.

1) Pullout. Needs to be progressive, not regressive. In the video, leading with the shoulder,

2) Turn in (or whatever people like to call it). Surprise: needs to be progressive as well. In the video, rope is loaded while starting it, resulting in the boat winning (as it always does) and a flat ski even before the first wake (and this is the onside).

In the rest, interestingly enough, many of the basics look correct, although the progressive thing is present. Overloading at the buoy will always result in arms away from the body and position loss.

On another note, I can barely see the turn buoys...

Any 22 off video?

• Baller

Thanks for posting those Scot. I appreciate it and everyone's help. I do want to add a disclaimer that I do look a bit better then that now. That 28 off video was the very first time I every ran it. I can't but help notice the difference in Scot's "relaxing" 28 off video and my not-so-relaxing 28 off. It sometimes gets frustrating when I watch someone like you Scot run a pass with what appears to be literally zero effort while for me it is so difficult and requires so much effort. Bottom line - you make it look easy.

Ral, I'm not sure what you mean by a "regressive" pullout.

Now, on my turn-in for the gates, I start my turn-in when the left entrance gate and the 1 ball line up. I try not to suddenly load the line.

I really do appreciate all your help.

Garn

• Baller

A "regressive" pullout means you are pulling stronger when you start the pullout and releasing it soon afterwards.

In your 22 off video, you are turning in with your shoulders and loading suddenly the line (you might have changed it since then). This leads to you having less angle than what it would be desirable at the gate (the boat pulls you up). This has less impact @ 22 off, but it will be very difficult for you to run 32 with no angle at the gate.

Your are not completing your reach, it does not look like you are really extending your arm. In your offside turn, you are also very quick at getting back to the handle (very obvious in 3), so you are not allowing the ski to turn, and end up leading with your shoulders.

I have similar 'issues' at -32. Sometimes even -22... From the first video I saw at least one thing that may assist your pull out, and two things that I do, that I am working on like every pass. Prior the pull out I move left, up onto the flat outside the trough. It initiates the pull-out smoother than fighting up out of a hole first. On my off-side turn, I try to stay open and extend, then ski back to handle low. Add trailing arm pressure through the wakes and release the ski outwards with handle low to the on-side turn. I definitely agree with the others about slack at one caused by pulling past wakes with slow/no edge change. Especially at -32 and shorter arcs, it only adds down-course speed/slack, not width.