Fin settings for a beginner

Cam

• Baller

Cam,

As long as you are close to the factory recommended numbers you should be fine. As a beginner you will have enough technique issues that feeling a few 1/1000's of fin difference is very unlikely. Now a fin that is massively out of norm can definitely make a difference and also make it more difficult to progress. Again, go with close to factory numbers.

Another area is the wing. I have seen a lot of new skiers working on the course at below maximum speed with a wing on their ski that has 9 degrees of angle or more. Unless you are at maximum speed and cutting the rope take it off.

Good luck

• Supporting Member

Some other things to focus on are body position, what position your body is in, and where you body parts are relative to each other, the rope and the boat. Oh, and also body position.

Ok, I realize I'm not very funny. But seriously getting you body position right, especially right behind the boat, is the foundation of everything else. As a beginner in the course, body position is much more important than running more buoys, because if you advance very much with poor body position, you will eventually get completely stuck and have to unlearn pretty much everything.

And ditto on the fin at factory with no wing.

• Baller

Before it gets too technical the reason I posted is because I found an old photo of a friend who decided to take her fin off to clean her ski and didn't put the fin back correctly, she had 4 sets on the ski and nobody including herself noticed any difference in her skiing.

Thanks for the comments above, she is now running the course but not on that ski.

Hopefully the picture is attached below and she doesn't kill me for posting it.