Rear Toe Loopers....A potential fix.

skibug

• Baller

I am guessing there are others out there who have try this; but, I am posting it. I know there was a thread a while ago about rear toe plate foot security or lack there of.

I am a proud RTP guy; but, every once in a while I get my foot slipping out of the loop somewhat if I hit some rollers in the turn or whatever. I have not tried this yet; just got th stuff this evening. I am going to try it out tomorrow. I will report the results

http://static.cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/ee/47efbf3cf2e31a74c2463a59349108.jpghttp://static.cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/62/4b57321057ff59592825c175977d62.jpghttp://static.cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/95/38d438a8400d45b0337e75b19f52d7.jpg

• Baller

I ski toe loop to spare my weak link of a low back on hole shots. Once up my rear foot gets stuffed such that my toes hit the back of the front binding--callouses to prove it. I have to think w/the set up pictured, given a typical short set-up, that one would have to get up both feet in to have a chance at being ready.

If you are going to throw that thing on, why not make it a dbl binding set up?

• Baller
I get up with both feet in. One answer about the rear boot "freedom". I have tried a rear boot, just couldn't get use to it. I think I pivot my back foot while I ski. Not that I am anywhere close to the greats but I think that is why Mapple, Asher and the likes prefer it too

• Baller
i don't care so much that it is really tight to my heel, I just want it so if my foot slips a little bit on the footbed; that it stops it from coming out all the way. I think if you are a leg dragger you may be able to set it up a little looser or reach down and pull it up on your heel once you get up...depending on your set up time. Going out this afternoon to give it a whirl.

• Baller
Still trying to recover from a nasty knee injury, I still might need microfracture surgery, a good nine months to recover from that if the physio doesn,t work, cause, getting on the back of the ski and launched on the first wake, resulting in the ski going out in front, front foot slipped out of the binding, but the rear stayed in the loop, when the ski hit the water it done all sorts of nasty things to my knee, I have seen one person use a small plastic/bakerlite heel cup from a racing ski sucessfully, without injury, have never been able to source one, wish my foot had came out of the loop.

I think you could modify several types of rear boots for a rear heel cup set-up, if you can tolerate the binding horsehoe raised around your footbed... Just remove the overlay/wrap(s) and cut down the heel piece to an acceptable height. I have seen a couple such solutions- that seem to work pretty well.

• Baller
Heel strap was a non-factor today. While I tested the strap position on land, it was different when I was up skiing in that it was way too loose. This sort of surprised me. I repositioned the heel strap to the middle hole of the toe strap hold down bar to tighten things up. The move of the heel strap makes it a completely positive engagement on the heel as opposed to some amount of play or slippage. I tested it again on dry land; but, this time I jammed my foot as far forward as I could go and I had to pull on the heel strap, firmly, to get it around my heel. I will test it again tomorrow and report back.

• Baller

I'm a rear toe user and I have stuck a insole in the loop, first reason was to raise my foot so I was more level with my front foot as the Radar Rail boot (white one) at the time was way higher. Then the insole helped me keep my heel in the same position each time I skied.

I like the idea of Dusty guessing similar to what reflex produce.

• Baller

Skibug...Can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow for you!!

Generally, I don't have slippage issues unless giant hard wake!

I also tried a rear boot for 2 solid months last summer...no dice for me either!

I do however feel this would possibly give me some added security.

Where do I get one and how much are they...I'll put it on MS's CC:) Thx

• Baller

Update....new configuration was great, just what I wanted. You will probably need to get up with two feet in; but, you may be able to slide the heel strap up once you get up. I jammed my toe in and then reached down and pulled the strap up while sitting in the water. I did not take any OTF; so, I can't comment on safety from the aspect. I did take a semi rough fall to the side out of 2 ball and my back foot came half way out, meaning the heel strap slipped down off the back of my ankle and I could have pulled my foot out. I had reach down and tug on it again to get it back on.

They are actually kite board heel straps (Dakine). $20 for a pair. Bought them here:

http://kiteboarding.com/

http://static.cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/f1/df84c1166de3105d21de5fa310293a.jpghttp://static.cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/17/807af0d04966d817225e8451529cfd.jpg

• Baller
I've skied RTP for my entire lifetime. My old toe loop was so loose it was like it wasn't even there. Didn't seem to matter, my foot stays put. My new one is tighter, and I like it better, but again, I've never really had an issue with my foot coming out. If it does come out, I was in trouble anyway and it is time to launch myself out of the ski!

• Baller
I've skied RTP for my entire lifetime. My old toe loop was so loose it was like it wasn't even there. Didn't seem to matter, my foot stays put. My new one is tighter, and I like it better, but again, I've never really had an issue with my foot coming out. If it does come out, I was in trouble anyway and it is time to launch myself out of the ski!

• Baller
Every once in a great while my foot will slip. It is due to getting off edge too soon, trying not to pull too long, and hitting the hard abupt wake of our MC 197 TT flat with the ski. It can pitch me forward a little bit and cause my back foot to slip a little bit.

• Baller
Every once in a great while my foot will slip. It is due to getting off edge too soon, trying not to pull too long, and hitting the hard abupt wake of our MC 197 TT flat with the ski. It can pitch me forward a little bit and cause my back foot to slip a little bit.

• Baller
Bump of this thread in light of the current talk on binding spacing and rear heal lift. So far, this set up has been beneficial for me. I have had a few, what I will call catastropic (epic), yard sales without issue. Knock on wood (my head)! I have come out of this strap when I needed to; everytime I have released from my FM E-series front.

• Baller

Don't Do It ! just find a rtp that is a better fit or modify one to fit better, trust me, I think you are looking at potential injury here, just wait for your first nasty fall, my guess is that you will wish you had thrown that stuff in the bin.

Just my opinion, I hope you make me look a fool and prove me wrong, I so want to be wrong, I do not wish injury on anybody.

• Baller
@ stevie boy - I can appreciate your comments and I am not saying injury won't happen; but, as stated, I have had a few nasty falls (OTF, yard sales) and have come out of it without any issue. That being said, nothing is absolute. I am not pushing or recommending this to anyone, just updating my experience to date, as some have inquired.