Terry Winter at quarter speed

Horton

• Administrators

OK Ballers,

What do you think? If this video gets a lot of play I am thinking about trying to do the same thing with other pro skiers.

• Baller

I thought it was great. At 1/4 speed, it is a lot easier to see what is going on than at full speed. I'd love to see other pros at 1/4 speed.

I was surprised how TW never got much wider than the buoy line at all lengths, finished well downcourse from the ball, built great angle from the finish of the turn to the whitewash, and was early and waiting on the next buoy. A lot easier to see when slowed down.

Way cool!

• Baller

I get to watch him ski from time to time. When he is on, it looks perfect. When I see it I feel a mix of being inspired and wanting to quit at the same time. I almost prefer to watch this video to see him make adjustments. I wish I could think that fast on the water and adjust like he can.

KB

• Baller

The one distinct thing I notice (and have before with TW) is that on his off side, he pulls his off hand and shoulder way back (good for countering on off side); but, then he comes in way over the top when he comes back to the handle. On his good side his hand goes to his hip and the reach back to the handle is short and acroos the body, not over the top.

The reason I comment on this is because I am always trying to keep my off arm down (not letting it flail around) and reach from the hip, both sides. My question is; is it alright to adopt this technique as long as you do it with rythm and purpose? I am thinking it would be easier to adopt (adapt) this technique versus always having to think about putting my hand in my pocket.

• Administrators

@Wish This is one of my ideas for next year. If it really adds value to the site and I can get it done with out spending a $1,000,000.00 I am going to try to do it as much as possible.

@wtrskii3156 No idea. Ryan did that.

Awesome video! Love that I can actually study his form at this speed. Would be great to see other skiers styles.

New to the ski scene and not to get off topic, but I don't know the difference between "west coast" slalom and other slalom styles. Is Terry Winter "west coast"?

Love it! @shaneH I am convinced that what you are talking about is the secret to skiing shortline. I'm not exactly sure how to execute it but the pros get so much work done between white water and center of the wake and they start the edge change process earlier than everybody else.

• Administrators

@Kelvin no idea. I actually paid Ryan Sawyer to do this. BOS is growing up when I am hiring out work.

@Dirt Now that you mention it - I may see if I can do the same with Greg B. Wish the Brown Bros were not so far north.

• Administrators

@Kelvin I am not paying much and only when I have to. WS

SCR? T$, Chad, Ward, Jones, Leach, KFennell, Butterfield, the list goes on.

I would pay the most for Kfennell but it would have to be 1/8th speed.

• Baller
Terry has a great description of where he's trying to build speed and accomplish edge change on the home page of his website. He's one of my favorite skiers to watch. I skied with him last year and tried to again last week but he wasn't available the day I was in Sacramento. It makes perfect sense, but not so easy to accomplish. I've studied a lot of his video and agree he skis better, but this is one of the best videos I've seen of him.

• Baller
Great vid. Of the 700 or so views in the last day or so, I probably was responsible for at least 25 or so myself...lol. That's the right be speed to see the details like edge changes and handle control, head position etc. It makes me want to get back out on the water and ski better. How about Karina Nowlan? Great form for 34mph.

• Baller
Great vid. Of the 700 or so views in the last day or so, I probably was responsible for at least 25 or so myself...lol. That's the right be speed to see the details like edge changes and handle control, head position etc. It makes me want to get back out on the water and ski better. How about Karina Nowlan? Great form for 34mph.

Such a useful tool to use when thinking and preparing for next season. it really allows you to better understand all of the terms and techniques we're supposed to use. his counter-rotation is amazing. Definitely would pay for a library of male and female pros to study and compare.

Such a useful tool to use when thinking and preparing for next season. it really allows you to better understand all of the terms and techniques we're supposed to use. his counter-rotation is amazing. Definitely would pay for a library of male and female pros to study and compare.

• Elite Skier
I always rode a 65” X7. I have a ton of new videos on my website since this video was done. I have almost every line length and at every speed if you want to watch 32 or 34 mph with rope shortening. I am also trying to refine the technique that I’m using, so hopefully it’s a little better than this video.