Ski Nautique help??

Wish

• Baller_
1997 GT-40 800hrs. Went to ski tonight, boat picked me up out of the water, turned for the course, heard the boat rev out and driver put it in neutral. Tranny slipped. Was able to idle back to dock (20yrds away) opened the hood and the bilge was full of red tranny fluid. Tranny was empty. Any ideas of what where why and how much $$$ I'm looking at for repairs?? So much for getting that new ski :-(

• Baller

You are still skiing? I shoveled four inches of snow off my driveway today. Sorry to hear about your tranny troubles. I hope it's an easy fix. My tranny is leaking a little bit and was a little pink at the end of this season -

I'm hoping it's no big deal. Anyway. Good luck!

• Baller_
4 inches of snow. Wow! I do not miss that. Originally from MN but moved to FL. Hoping to go to the mechanic with some knowledge of possibilities. I hate going in and feeling stupid not know what it could be. Unfortunately @Jody Seal is to far way but ill take any thoughts he has. Not seeing the lemonaid out of this lemon. My daughter said everything happens for a reason. She skies and shes smart. Apreciate any and all thoughts.

• Baller_

850 215 1996

George of course they charged $900! That is how these big dealerships stay in business. Reality is it only takes about 60 min to R&I a transmission in a direct drive and about an hour up on the bench for a seal replacement. Add an extra hour and parts if the drive plate needs changed.

• Baller_

New Airport is 30 min, old Airport! I can throw a pebble on the runway from my shop.

X

Shane you pretty much hit it on the head. Even replacing a Transmission in a Direct Drive should only be about 3 hours and an hour or less to water test depending on how close the water is!

• Baller_
@Sully. Was wondering if u were gona chime in with that statement. Not only will that be fixed but I'm getting other over due stuff done to it as well. Just like anyone else in this tough economy, do I take my meds or get my boat fixed? Boat it is!! Medication for ones mental state is highly over rated anyway. Beer is cheaper.

• Baller
I would put in a brand new transmission. Change the fluid every 100 engine hours. I have 1585 hours on my boat and no tranny problems. I am still on the original tranny on my 1994 ski Nautique. That is a big repair, the off season is the time to do it.

• Baller_
This is a tranny cooling hose. This is the crack in the hose fitting. This is what can fill your bilge with tranny fluid and make the tranny slip. Find a hose making shop that makes hydrolic and other industrial hoses and have two new hoses made. For a little under $30, a wrench and 5 minutes to swap hoses, the problem is solved. Recommend replacing both. Oddly enough, both upper and lower were cracked. Thank you @Jody Seal for your advice on this thread and by phone (please make a satellite shop in Orlando) . Thanks to the others that posted. All great info for any GT-40 user to bookmark.

Old Thread, first post for me. 95' ski natuique gt40 transmission slipping bad suddenly. Found fluid very low. I have had a small leak at the back seal for a couple years. I have tightened bolts but it's to the point the seal will have to be replaced. Anyway, I refilled fluid and it still slips. It can take a few seconds to get into fwd or rvs but even after getting boat on plane at say 2000 rpm and then gassing it, it will slip. Sounds like new clutches needed. Anything else I should get done while it's out or any other tips? Fluid clean and I replaced it 25hrs ago. Cooling good. Thank you! John Winter Haven, FL