How Important is a mirror?

Horton

• Administrators

This is a link to the new mirror. From what I have heard once you drive with this thing you have to have it. The word is that you can see clearly balls on both side so the course.

http://www.skiboatmirror.com/

• Baller
Cipa Extreme in my boat for last 4 years. About the same with a couple lines. I don't look in the mirror when I am driving slalom anyway. Hype!! Regular mirrors are fine. If you can afford it great. Otherwise about as practical as a Cadilaak 4 wheeler.

• Administrators
The super duper mount is a chunk of change but the mirror is designed to work with most current stock hardware... or so I am told.

• Baller
I use the mirror a lot while driving b/c I ski w/just one other guy most of the time and we are coaching each other. With that, the path in practice is pretty good but not a tourney caliber path unless we have a spotter/coach...and that's all right...it's practice.

• Administrators

@danbirch for most boats the cost is more like $110 because you will not need the custom bracket.

As for watching while you drive.... please do not do it when I am skiing unless you are really good. But if I have to glance while driving up I want to see what I am looking for.

• Baller

Works great! I've tested it at 28 off and it has a great ball to ball view. I'm sure you'll be able to see at shorter lines as well. The black U shaped bar is from my stock Mastercraft mirror. I bought mine from Silverspraysports.com

I watch my boat path forward and in the mirror to make sure I'm centered.

• Baller
Agreed with Thager, regular mirror gets you a wide enough view for boat path....unless you are way off. IMHO, I don't want anyone sneaking a peek while I am at the ball; I want them to feel me through the course, keep the boat straight by putting it in the right place based on my load, and work with me to keep a tight line.

• Baller
I'm with ya, Bulldog. If I'm pulling serious short line it's all about the boat path, but other than that enough glances to help coach and enough to know that if my guy is screaming around 6 that I should back off out the end gates in practice and save him a big hit.

Exactly what Richard said. Plus, many of the great drivers give you quality feedback on how the skier feels without looking. This can be more valuable than visual coaching depending on the coach/driver options.

KB

• Administrators

I do not promote driving and watching but I think it is pretty nice to see what is back there. Heck just for tooling at idle between passes I like to keep an eye on my skier.

Of should ZO be out.... I can eye ball trick speed from a mirror. (too many years at a ski school I guess)

• Administrators

I mirror showed up at my front door today. (Funny since I do not own a boat :-)

I plan to bolt onto a boat this week end and take some pics if there is sun out.

Two things:

Freak'n pretty

Big

See http://www.skiboatmirror.com/

• Baller_

Yea Funny thing, I had one of these show up at the shop.... I knew it was coming for evaluation and feed back.

First impression from touchy feel-y is that it is rather well made, a lot of thought went into it and it will fit most all if not all windshield extrusions. Going to mount it on the 200 today and give it a look.

• Baller
I've been using the mirror for over a week. You have total view from side to side even pulling 38 off. Actually the shorter the rope the better the view. It's great for practice when you only have one person in the boat. The mirror quality and hardware is awesome. When you adjust the mirrror it stays put, it won't move out of adjustment like other mirrors. I have it on my 2012 Nautique 200 with the boats factory bracket and extension.

• Administrators

I did not get to mount it up last weekend but this photo showed up in my in-box....

http://static.cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/14/2683bd663ad13f6f270d2c0b920604.jpg