67.5 S2 numbers

Steven_Haines

• Baller
Thanks Ed, I've got a couple of the smaller ventrals and a home made large v id like to try after I get some rides on it. A while back you mentioned running the larger ventral in the down position. Are you still using it that way? And also, is your large ventral near the bottom of the ski or is it in the wing position? It's interesting to hear the variations of how the ventral is being used. With my other ski I liked it with 3 ventrals all running parallel to the bottom yet it felt very sluggish with a single and a wing set at 5-7°. I guess that's part of what intrigues me about this sport.

• Baller

Steve,

The rear ventral is in the standard rear wing position. However, you have to add a small hole between the stock holes because the Ventral is shorter in length. Yes, I still use all Ventrals Tips down.

I use my Sans Rival Carbon Fin since it was already drilled with this setup. The Red S-2 Fin is thin and should work fine. They are identical in shape but the Carbon Fin is slightly thinner and flexes a little more. The front Mini Ventral is parallel with the bottom of the ski, 5/8" down and 3" Fwd. The rear Large Ventral is adjustable for water temp as explained above.

Let me know how this works out for you. Also, I use the Powershell 5's at the 30" position..........ED

• Baller
That's a good idea Ed, I have a Horton special 106 that's been drilled for the ventrals. Knowing me I would have probably gone drill crazy on the stock fin. I used that carbon fin on my MPD and loved it but didn't feel the same about it on my Strada. I don't know how thick the carbon fin is compared to the red one but I'm guessing that its thicker. Itll be fun comparing the two!

• Baller
Im thinking that's what im looking for??? With my other ski it seemed like id lose ground by drifting down course at the finish of the turn. I think that was a product of never getting free of the boat/lack o speed. I'm really excited to try this ski because of its stepped bottom. From what ive heard and read (all on BOS, my bible) the step bottom skis require less effort to build cross course speed. I've really been trying to be lighter on the line so that I can co exist with ZO. Hopefully this ski is the answer (for a while). If I understand your posts correctly, it sounds like we're both trying to incorporate alpine movements to increase efficiency. Just sounds like you do it alot better than me!

• Baller

Steven,

You are correct about the stepped bottom having a very low coefficient of drag. It is not that the ski feels fast, it is that it is very efficient. It is also more forgiving than any ski I have ever been on. It is very easy with ZO to overpower the ski and end up down course.

i.e. Your right about the Alpine Movements but wrong about the better than you part. I still have a long way to go.....ED

• Baller_
Aaaaaah moment. Just realized why they call the other step bottom HO ski the Coefficient Xsl.....Duha. Loved testing that ski. Soooo easy to ride in terms of body effort. Bit of an overturner but worked that out with fin placement. Riding S2 soon and Fusion. Then its decision time before March.