Goode Powervest

Cam

• Baller

I have a work cycle where I am away from home for two weeks out of five, every time I come home my upper body muscles are in agony for a couple of days after my first day's skiing.

I was thinking about trying a Powervest to see if it would help me, also thought about the FM ski harness or making something myself.

Has anyone got any feedback on the above products as I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that won't help my problem.

Cam

• Baller
I bought the power vest 2 Summers ago following a back operation. The vest works very well in taking pressure off your upper body. I no longer use it on a regular basis, as it can be too restricting. Nevertheless, I'm happy to have it and tend to use it whenever I have aches and pains in my shoulders, elbow, back....etc. Having said that I think it is overpriced for the functions described above.

• Baller
Id have to agree with Mazda. The vest is WAY overpriced but it works extremely well for eliminating upper body strain. I bought mine after I hurt my lower back and couldn't be happier. I too have a funky work schedule where I'm gone for sometimes very long spells. I find that if I stay in reasonable physical condition I can go home and pretend that I'm still in my 20's. A buddy of mine just bought 2011 model off SIA for $300.00. Imo, that's closer to where a new one should be priced, but to be perfectly honest with you I probably would have paid more than $600.00 to be able to continue to ski. I don't know anything about the FM product but by looking at it I don't see where it would help that much. Another guy that posts here has made a copy of my PV without the vest part attached so you can use it with any vest. Personally I think that's genius! Once my PV wears out ill be cutting it apart and doing the same thing. Maybe Dan will chime in here. Good luck!!!

• Baller

The PV is unbelievable help in getting easy deep water starts, and pulling out at the end of the course. The timing of it, when inside of the course, is a different feel, that I have a hard time getting used to. It's just a different feeling, and if you get the vest loaded at the wrong time, you'll get quite a "ride"...

That said, certain aspects of the pv are brilliant (like the padded "wings"), and some could use some future improvements. I wish their belt would go around the outside of the vest plate, so that it would wench up to your body when you tighten your belt. The way they are now, you cannot tighten the belt too much, or, you may pull the washers right through the belt. Other than that, I've seen some skiers do very well with this vest. It's a personal preference thing, I suppose.