New mirror from Protomet short review http://www.skiboatmirror.com/

Horton

• Administrators

There has been talk here on the forum for a few weeks about the new mirror from Protomet http://www.skiboatmirror.com/

http://static.cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/51/b535b89074338e5707bad156755abe.jpg

This is a waterski forum so how excited can we be about a boat mirror? I took the mirror to the lake today and put it on my friend Charlie's 196. It is "pretty" and well made. The mounting bracket is a marvel of modern CNC work but the question is do we really care? and Is it worth the money to upgrade your mirror?

There were four of us on the dock. The first two people that drove both commented that they found themselves staring in the mirror while they were driving. It was different enough that it was distracting. After a few passes it was not distracting, it was just better.

The short answer to all the questions is yes we were all very impressed. When in the course I personally do not look in the mirror much if at all. But when idling around between passes I like to always know where my skier is. This mirror gives the widest and clearest vision of what is behind me that I've ever seen.

If you spent $40-$60,000 on your boat I would say a few hundred dollars for superior mirror should be an easy choice.

If you don't have a third person to ski with and you watch your ski partner in the mirror, this is the best thing going.

• Administrators
FYI the field of view in the above picture is a little off because I am further back in the boat + what ever my camera lens / focal length does.

• Baller_
John, I'd be interested to know at what line length does the mirror start to loose the skier. 32, 35, 38...... or man I sware I can see in front of the boat!! Looks a hell of alot better than my double mirror set up.

• Baller

That's pretty cool...looking at that wake and boat path so clearly is killing me here in MN! Looks especially good with that windshield frame...wishing mine wasn't black.

John, do you have to loosen anything to fold it down/forward or is it a smooth friction movement? We cover the 196 at "the swamp" so we push the mirror down and cover when we leave...pop it up when we return to ski. Thanks.

• Baller_
The pivot assembly is one of the cool factors of the system. However it sits rather tall on the windshield extrusion. I wound up utilizing the clamp mount that came with my 200. Maybe they will re-design the pivot assembly to work with the clamp on the 200 and set it back somewhat like the OEM mirror mount. Also the mirror looks far better on the boat then the one it came with, and is far more functional.

• Administrators
The one I installed last last weekend replaced the kind of mirror east tx skier has. I like the new one better but I do like that style second best.

Chuck, the walk through issue was a pain on my old boat with that mirror. I haven't used it in a while even with the closed bow. Not sure why. I put it up for sale last week, but every time I see it, I think about reinstalling it. I have a friend who uses one on his 91 SN and wouldn't have anything else. Those new ones look sweet, but I can't rationalize the price on my budget.

@east Texas

When I had that mirror, I had it for about a year before the heat got to the adhesive. I really liked the full view with out the wide angle distortion on the Cipa extreme or other factory mirrors. The fish eye distortion kinda makes me dizzy. This new mirror is very wide angle but no distortion what so ever.

• Baller

@Horton Well there was more in that email than just stuff about your iPod, but whatever its not important.

Note to everyone if you want @Horton to read an email you send him put in the subject line: I would not open this at work! and keep the body of the message to one line two max.

• Baller
UPS just delivered my new mirror from PTM Edge. I can't wait to put it on our boat. I set the mirror outside to take a photo to send to my boat partner and it was like everything was in high definition. They have clearly put some thought into both the mirror and bracket. At first, I was a little hesitant to buy an additional mirror but I can clearly see this is a no brainier. I wonder what it would take to get the boat manufactures to put these mirrors on from the start?

• Baller
Have used the mirror several times now. The wide field of view and clarity is incredible. I notice it not only in the course but also at the ends of the lake when the skier is pulling out. It takes little adjustment between when I drive the boat and when my boat partner drives the boat who is significantly taller than me. My boat partner skis at -15 off and I have been able to catch a couple of things with his skiing with just a quick glance. In the last few weeks I have been driving our boat with it and a CC200 without it. You do not fully realize how good the mirror is until you go back and drive another boat without the Protomet. It was definitely a great purchase. I would sure like to see the boat manufacturers go with these mirrors from the start.

• Baller

@scotchipman, I was able to mount the mirror with the RTS-100 bracket on the Malibu. Here is the link: ptmedge.com/store/#ecwid:category=1946203&mode=product&product=8366583

It took just a small modification to get it to fit the TXI mirror bracket. The only small hitch we found was to not over tighten the allen screws on the bracket or you cannot lower the mirror to put the cover on tight. Other than that, it works great for the Malibu with the existing hardware. I do not have a good photo of the RTS-100 bracket on the TXI but here is the idea. I will try to post a better photo next week.

• Baller
@davemac, the mirror brackets were install directly at Malibu. This is clearly a better position for the mirror. If a passenger is sitting in the middle seat, their head is not in the middle of the mirror. With the old windshield it was tricky to install the brackets this way. With the new windshield, I have heard it is not as difficult. We have had a lot of wind lately so I have been actually loosing the wing nuts and taking the mirror off when the cover has been on.

• Baller

Anyone got a photo of the mirror attached to a Malibu or Nautique type bar mount, folded down? To use the mirror mount on my '05 RLXI I have to cut the bar in half to get it to mount. Not too big an issue, but if it won't fold down enough or rotate in such a manner that I can get the snap down cover on the boat over it I'm pretty much SOL.

Ed

• Baller

@EdObermieir Hey EZ Ed, If you can wait a couple weeks til I'm out of storage, I'll have your answers and photos. Have the mirror now, and RTS-100 mount on the way. I'll be sure to drop you an email. I have no tower and an Evolution cover, so I have the same concerns about folding down the mirror to accommodate the cover.

Dave

• Baller

@easttxskier , Thanks, and Yes, I confirmed that the mirror mates fine w/ the Cipa Extreme windshield mount...like the one in the attached photo.

However, that CIPA mount does not mate well w/ the "bulbous" frame of my boat's windshield (03Rlxi). Thus, I'll be using the PTMEdge RTS-100 mount.

@davemac, fortunately for me, the CIPA mount mates perfectly with my old SN's square windshield frame. I have my Extreme for sale without the mount. If someone wants to buy the mirror, can I refer them to you to sell them the mount? Might help us both recoup some of the coin dropped on the PTM mirror. :)

• Baller
No, I'm gonna keep it. Early and Late season (when my boat is in storage)...I ski behind buddy's SN. The mount will allow me to easily transfer the mirror to his boat. The wider visual range is great...and adds safety if no observer is present.

Just heard a rumor that CIPA will have a competing mirror or two for less money in the next six months or so.

Somebody was nice enough to mention that in the ad I had placed for my CIPA extreme. I, of course, decried it as a ridiculous rumor and that the extreme was the top of the line mirror from CIPA being sold at a steal of a price. ;)

• Baller

East skier, did the CIPA mount work? When I purchased my new mirror they told me the CIPA extreme mirror mount would work just need to to be drilled a tinny bit in order to work. I have not installed mine yet just checking to see how yours went on.