When should you be wider than the bouy?

rq0013

• Baller

I lately have been re-thinking my skiing (ice and snow still here) and where I hit my widest point. I have always tried to be wider than the bouy as early as possible. I have been watching and noticed some pros getting wide at the bouy and not really before at -32 and -35. So they are skiing a more direct path, taking less angle out of the bouy. I say this because I have only ran -32 at 36mph about 10x and those times it seems like a followed this theory. I was wondering what others thought.

I also see more 34mph skiers ski more like this and less 36mph skiers using this technique.

• Baller

He is skiing perfectly on time.

The interesting thing, is that when asking him of his goals (while in the course) he said he "tries to get to the buoy line as fast as he can get there"....

Is it possible that a person perceives he is at the buoy line once he knows his ski will make that buoy, but not when the ski is ACTUALLY at the buoy line?

Also, when watching Scott (from the boat), he appears to be so early he is just waiting on the ball....different perceptions and angles can be deceiving!

• Baller

Horton, "...you should not try to be narrow and late." That made me laugh.

As the line gets really short, max width has to come closer to the buoy. I'm still trying to figure this out at 38...I tend to get width too early and create problems there.

• Baller
The angle is not deceiving, it is at the ball line. You can only try to figure it out (when he gets to the ball line) by time. If he breaks the ball line by 1/4 second, then he would be getting there about 10' early (assuming he's going 34 mph at that moment).