Oz events

Horton

• Baller

Best skiers head to Stoney Park

24 Feb, 2012 04:00 AM

SOME of the best waterskiers from around the world will compete just minutes from Port Macquarie this weekend.

Stoney Park will host the MasterCraft-Headzone Australian Open at its two man-made lakes tomorrow and Sunday in what promises to be an event of high class.

Competitors from all over the world will battle it out in three different categories – slalom, trick and jump.

Both men and women will take each other on in what will be a true battle of the sexes.

Two competitors who will be out to take down the overseas raiders are Sydney brother and sister pairing of Jason and Katelyn Miller.

Jason will be competing in all three disciplines while Katelyn will line-up in the trick event.

“It’s going to be a pretty cool event and there’s a lot of people coming from all around the world,” Jason said.

“I just want to go out and ski my best and see what happens.”

“I’ve been here [stoney Park] before and it’s always been nice. The conditions are good and there’s always good scores out here.”

But it won’t be easy out there on the water as Jason told the Port News.

“The standard is pretty high. Only the best skiers from around the world are coming out and skiing,” he said.

“It will take a lot to make a final and a lot to win it.”

“They’re only taking about 20 skiers for each event so you have to have a good ranking on the world list to get into the tournament.”

It will be a great learning curve for Katelyn who has only been skiing for four years.

“It will be pretty exciting. I’ve been invited to this tournament for trick,” she said.

“I’ve just got to stand on my runs. I’ve been going really well in practice and hopefully I’ll go well in the tournament.”

“I just want to do a personal best and have a good time.”

The $22,000 event runs from 8.30am tomorrow, starting with the trick category.

All finals begin at 1.20pm of Sunday afternoon.

http://www.portnews.com.au/news/local/sport/waterskiing/best-skiers-head-to-stoney-park/2465770.aspx

• Baller

Karina Nowlan beats the boys

A WOMAN made the men look like boys at the MasterCraft-Headzone Australian Open waterskiing event yesterday.

Karina Nowlan beat her male rivals in the slalom to be crowned champion.

But it wasn’t a huge shock, such is her ability – which was fully tested after limited preparation.

“To compete against the guys and win was something that I didn’t really expect,” Nowlan said. “Trying to make the finals was my goal because I’ve only been skiing for a week-and-a-half [since arriving from North America].

“I’d like to think that the guys and girls are pretty similar and the competition is really high.”

Click on the photo to see more weekend action from Stoney Park.

Nowlan, who now lives in Vancouver, said she simply stuck to her strengths and was not fazed by the class of the male competitors.

“I just thought about keeping the line tight and making the movements that I’m comfortable with,” she said. “Being back out on the water was really exciting and the whole battle of the sexes thing was fun.”

Event organiser Anissa Manton said the two days of waterskiing saw action of the highest quality.

“It was fantastic. The skiers skied personal bests and the crowd participation was great,” Manton said. “The conditions were so perfect and because of that it was definitely world standard.”

Stoney Park will host the event next year and the organisers are already working on plans to make the competition better.

“We’ll have it here next year and it will be our third time having it and we’re looking at making it bigger and better,” Manton said.

Full results in Wednesday’s Port News.

http://www.portnews.com.au/news/local/sport/waterskiing/karina-nowlan-beats-the-boys/2467741.aspx

• Baller
The fact that Karina has only been skiing for 9 days is how I understood it during the webcast is pretty amazing. She beat all the guys. She said she has been doing cross training that living in Canada is hard to start out the season on the water.

• Baller
BallOfScores will be streaming a live feed from the LCQ as well. Not sure the new version 3.0 will make it out in time for Moomba like I wanted it to be. I am having to deal with some stuff with apple with some new policies they have implemented before they will release it.