Recovery Seems So Slow

Stevie Boy

• Baller
Slow Slow, recovery from micro fracture surgery, working so hard in the gym and with physio, it,s getting to that time of year, normally on the water in the next 3-4 weeks, Hey Dudes it,s not happening, trying to stay positive, so so hard, starting to lose the faith, any ideas on how to motivate myself.

• Baller
All I can say is crush your physio work until you know that you are 100%. That is at least 2 weeks longer than you will want to wait. If I've learned anything in the past 6 years with injury its to NOT come back before you are 100%. This sport is too fast and too powerful to not be 100%. I've tried to come back from 2 injuries where I felt like I was 85-90% back. Felt the pressure t get back on the water. Got on the water and re-injured myself. Then spent the rest of the year trying to get back and ski through it. Don't make my mistakes. Crush the gym. Take all of your frustration out there. Crush the cardio. Keep moving and find ways to challenge yourself. When you do get back on the water, it will all come back...

• Baller

Surgery was 9th December, and involved large areas of exposed bone. on the patella and the tibia.

Chris thanks for your input, nice to know that the Pro,s are not immortal and deal with the same issues that other water skiers deal with, always liked your skiing style, would like to see you get into the groove this year and take some scalps.

Best Regards

• Baller

I went back to the water a few weeks ago after a titanium plate and spinal fusion @ C6-C7. I am not fully recovered yet, but in my case doc cleared me because I only need to avoid a neck twisting fall.

So skiing longer line lenghts and slower speed (32).

In my case, the wait seemed short. I am grateful to be back.

• Baller

Stevie,

You need to be patient. Your surgery is kinda different. It is really going to be based on feel once the surgeon releases you. Avoid pain in the gym or on the water. I hope you are working with a PT in your rehab. You can do certain exercises for the quad in certain ranges of motion that will load the patella-femoral joint less. I have my wife doing this now during her ACL rehab as her patella surface is pretty shot. Be patient, avoid pain, work smart.

Good luck to ya.

• Baller
By the way, are you taking any supplements? My brother, who is a knee surgeon, says statistics have not proved any benefiits, but I take some and they seen to work. I take a knee complex (glucosamine/chonditrine/msm, a canadian brand thanks to a Brent Mc scolarship...) and I started collagen 1 month ago.

Broke left clavical (snow mobiling, dumb sport) and had surgery on 1/25/12. It will be 6 weeks this week which comes with a doctors appointment. I feel like its been forever. Ice is starting to break and I want to get on my @chrisrossi inspired new Strada. But I'll take Chris's advice once again and slow down the up coming rehab.

Stevie if its any help your doing well on recovery it could be MUCH worse. Jan 18th 2011 I tore both patellas completly could not walk for 7 weeks, after did pt until mid summer 2011. Since I hit the gym 2 to 3 times per week every week after much training with a pro that studied our sport. Now 1 year and 2 months I can say Im better than I was. It was hell for months now the pt-work out is my life. JUST DO IT MAN skiers are tuff !