What do you think? (potential boat)

Taelan28

http://www.passo.co.kr/home/main/popup.php?on_path=boat&on_page=goods_image&idx=14477&no=1

Click the blue tiles on the right for other pictures.

Its $9000, 200hp and made in 1999. It looks like a Korean brand based on the windshield. Look beautiful compared to some of the other stuff out there.

Thoughts? Comments? What should I be looking for (or to avoid) when buying a boat?

• Baller

I thought I saw a center pylon so you could slalom effectively. The Vdrive is not optimal but not as toxic as OB thinks. If you wakeboard a fair amount that is a worthwhile tradeoff. I am with OB on the color. I have a share of a black boat and it is a pain. Any boat color - as long as it's white. Speed control is critical but probably an aftermarket item you should be able (and absolutely need) to retrofit.

That boat looked reasonably good. A buddy of mine had a very tough time importing a MC to Thailand so this might be your most reasonable option for a quality ride. If you are running 38 off, import a true ski boat. If not, this boat should be able to get you started that direction. It's way better than my first boat (tri hull IO) that I trained extensively and effectively behind.

The two best days in a boat owner's life; the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it. Good luck!

Eric

http://www.passo.co.kr/home/main/popup.php?on_path=boat&on_page=goods_image&idx=17293&no=1

http://www.passo.co.kr/home/main/popup.php?on_path=boat&on_page=goods_image&idx=18264&no=2

http://www.passo.co.kr/home/main/popup.php?on_path=boat&on_page=goods_image&idx=17181&no=3

http://www.passo.co.kr/home/main/popup.php?on_path=boat&on_page=goods_image&idx=15571&no=4

If you plan on learning to ski the course, aim for a boat more like these. Some of them might be over your budget but I'm not sure. They might not look as cool, and lack a nice stereo; but they will make up for it when you ski behind them.

If you plan to just continue free-skiing, that black boat will be fine.

Yes there are MCs, Nautiques and other boats here, they just want a 3-4 years savings for them.

Yes Travnews those boats are out of my price range. The last one you posted was actually the one at my local lake, they charge $30 a ride behind that one. It is way too high at $16k, and it looks like its been mauled by the sun. Im sure if I bought it I could strike a deal like $15/set with the driver, and I could get winter storage at their location.

I initially didnt want a wake board tower but I figured if the price is similar why the hell not? I'd wake board if I had unlimited time on a lake to do so. Wake boarding is more accessible and popular so I would be accomodating friends. I did notice that it is missing a pylon for a ski rope.

Im also was ok with an outboard on a cheap cheap boat, just like the boats I was skiing behind all last summer, but i've changed my mind. If I got a cheap outboard I'd want to upgrade within a year or two, and selling it may not be possible.

38off will no happen any time soon. Speed control is irrelevant to me. I cannot feel the difference, for I have I been in a situation to feel the difference, but I've been ina cheap ski boat pulling someone turning softer than me and the boat rocks like a cradle and slows down significantly.

I/O drive vs V drive?

200hp I/O feeling like a 70hp outboard?

Black boats are bad? Can you explain your nautical racism?

Steering yoke vs steering wheel?

Ill look into it more.

If your looking to improve your course skiing, I think you'd be better off with a slalom boat with perfect-pass. I would trade aesthetics and interior condition for ski-ability every time. Skiing behind a wakeboard boat will add years to your ability to progress. Same thing with speed control. Good Luck.

• Baller

@Taelan28 A V-Drive should have a rudder while and I/O will have an external unit which the prop is mounted on. This whole unit w/the prop turns to steer the boat.

Judging from most of the pictures, I'd guess that boat is a V-drive, or maybe even direct. That steering yoke is a little odd. You and Michael Knight might be the only dudes with one. Good luck in your search.

OB I'll take your advice into consideration, but yet the price has to be right.

Why does a yoke matter vs a wheel? You're going straight! a 140hp outboard pulled me alright so I figure why not an inboard 200?

Judging from pictures alone the black boat is an all around winner in price and features.

I've also got a lot of research to do so I may not get a boat this year. I need to find the right truck to pull it. I need to learn about car insurance for foreigners. Im not too concerned about a boating license, but I might as well look into it. I should know the laws about pulling a trailer on the freeway. I can go out this weekend and next, drain my bank account and have what I want but I'd still have some hurdles to jump.

My criteria right now is:

Inboard V-drive

Clean or cleanable

Wakeboard rack

Trailer included

Just for reference this is the kind of boat I skid behind all last summer.

http://www.passo.co.kr/home/main/popup.php?on_path=boat&on_page=goods_image&idx=17896&no=1

Its a 2011 and selling for $17000

If your curious and want to search the site the exchange rate is 100=$1000 1000=$10,000. So 900=$9000 and 1700=$1700... just add a 0 and you get the dollar amount.

I personally think that black boat is a direct-drive, because the motor enclosure is right behind the drivers seat. But even if I am right, if the hull was designed for wakeboarding it will probably throw big wakes. Length and weight will also change the wake.

@taelan28

If you have plans on skiing in the course, speed control will be a must. Black is frowned upon because it is so hard to keep clean, and it gets hotter than hell. Don't look for a v-drive, you want a direct-drive. With a v-drive the prop is under the boat with the motor in the back of the boat. A direct-drive the prop is underneath and the motor is located in the center of the boat.

I'll say it once again, if you plan on free-skiing only the black boat will be fine. If you want to learn the course take some time to look for a boat in your price range that will fit the needs of the course, i.e. speed control, and it's a ski boat not a wakeboard boat. You'll be happier in the long run. Take your time, if you rush a boat purchase there is a good chance you will have regrets.

I agree with OB.

What exactly is direct drive? is it anither word for I/O? V drive for boards and direct for skis right? ill search and youtube it up after work.

Oh just read yours trav thx for clarifying direct vs V. I think you re right too. The black boat will be just fine. Ill give the guy a call tonite and maybe see it this weekend or the next.

OB i like that comment "the land of not quite right"

blak boats hot and dirty...just like my dream girl.

I think that black boat is fine for free-skiing.

I would recommend you go pay $30 or whatever it is, and see if you have any interest in learning the course. This website has so many members because people are obsessed with skiing in the course, not because they are recreational open-water skiers. Not that there is anything wrong with free-skiing, but to me the challenge of the course is why I am obsessed with the sport. Go attempt the course and then decide if the wakeboard boat will work, because if you get into the course you will kick yourself in the butt for buying a wakeboard boat.

I avoided trying the course for value reasons. I figured I got much more turns per outting if I didnt do the course. I also just wanted to ski at the beginning of the summer, go out and pull hard and not think about buoys in fact I didnt even bother learning how to use one hand because it would take time to develope rythm and muscle memory, so I stuck to two.

A few months ago someone recommended I try the course and learn what its really like to ski to develope rythm and conistency on both sides. I'd like to do the course as means to just improve over all form, because when I looked at some video of me skiing, i didnt look nearly as cool as I thought I did. I could see myself chasing balls, if I had consistent cheap access to a course, and $30 for 24 bouys is not acceptable to me (but buying a boat is ironically.)

Access is another thing. The closest lake with the ski club probably wouldnt be too happy if I showed up 4 days a week throwing waves at their customers. Even if they werent too busy these private ski clubs probably wouldnt be too happy with some foreigner strolling by blasting through their course. I could move cities in a year further south where there are more lakes and traffic isnt as bad and set up my own course, but now thats soooo many hurdles.

I dont know much about boat maintenance either, (one more thing to look up) so its entirely possible for me to wreck the engine because of improper winterization, failure to check coolant, wrong oil etc etc. Whats good about a Korean made boat is that the parts are nearby. I have a Korean made motorcycle, its small, old and common, but you know what? ANYTHING can happen to that motorcycle and the mechanic can make a phone call and the part can be to the shop in 30 minutes time or 24hrs time. I've seen it happen its pretty cool. If my 15 year old Mastercraft or Ski Nautique breaks down then what? Sure I may find a mechanic that knows how to fix it, but how long for the part? What about the cost of the part and shipping too?

Every point you guys made has been good for my thought and its made me better realize what I want, what I need, and whats necessary given the geographical and life situation.

• Baller
I'd keep paying to ski the outboard in the pic for now, save some cash for a nice ski boat down the road. Looks like an outboard flightcraft in the pic. If so, has a baby small wake and plenty fine for the free skiing you do.

That, Brent, is an issue. "Hey do you want to come with me to a late 2-3 hours away and give me $30 for gas money to enjoy a day on the lake tubing, waterskiing, and wake boarding?" Its wouldnt quite be worded like that, but getting someone to come out would be difficult since not many people like riding in a car for two hours. I could talk it up all I want I probably wouldnt get a friend to come with me more than twice--granted I havent really tried. It would take some relationship building. Thats also reason to get a wakeboard rack.

"Hey do you want to go waterskiing and tubing?"

"Sure how about wakeboarding?"

"Yea I could pull you"

"Hey where's the wake board rack? I cant ride behind this thing, it doesnt feel right, lame."

The rugby house in college had monster parties with 100+ people, but it took a few months to get there as the first two months of college no one really showed up to it besides a circle of friends. So buying a boat and rounding up friends to drive, and drive for, would take time.

That being said just going to a lake for a cruise and chill out in the sun is GODDAMN AWESOME TO ME! best therapy out there. I want to relax in a boat on an empty lake as much as I want to ski; shoot, even if I dont exercise and dont ski at all for the summer I'd be happy letting the boat depreciate in value if I could just sit in the middle of a big glassy lake on a sunny summer day a few times. I take my motorcycle out and explore I'd do the same with a boat. Point at a map and say I wanted to see "this" lake today. Aaaaah yeeaah.

I've brought up the idea of doing this as a weekend business catering to foreigners. $100/person, 4-5 people (I wouldnt be making much money), anywhere in the country for a day on the lake, food and gas and car transportation would be paid for. Some people said it wasnt a bad idea and they might do it, but when I said alcohol would no be provided they soured on the idea. *Edit: What am I stupid? Just raise the price to $120 and make profit on it. Its my time and energy bringing the booze from the store to them, why shouldnt they pay for it? Jeez, havent I learned anything from my dad?*

A girlfriend would say yes most of the time. The one I got now would say yes. I'd have no problems with an inexperienced woman/person driving a boat.

Hmm let me think about this more. How many friends could I get in a month to go to a lake or river 2-3 hours away and chip in for gas? Btw, gas is $7.40 here.

Access to a slalom course is nearby but its the lake I frequent. They usually run 2-3 boats non stop in the summer and even though I gave them A TON of cash last summer, making waves during their business hours, or using their course for free probably wouldnt fly. Using the boat during the week is impossible if I cant use the nearby lake. I'd need to move to a different city--maybe thats the dagger in the heart of this idea.

Just called the guy on the boat. He had no idea what i was talking about for a minute because he sold it so long ago. Thats ok though. If there's one thing I've learned about internet buying its that if you see it once you'll see it again.

Just a quick note on paying per set: I'm 26, and the only reason I'm able to ski on a fairly regular basis is because of clubs and club owned boats.

I don't know what it would cost for you to ski with the people that have access to a slalom course, but whatever they charge it would take quite some time for it to equal the annual cost of ownership for a boat. And when your paying per set, if your life situation changes, you don't have to worry about selling the boat, all you have to do is stop going.

• Baller
By the way, good luck on your boat search! You need to make a decision if your a wakeboarder or waterskier though in that price range. The thing about an older Tourney boat is that they are a very simple machine. There's not much to them! I understand you concern on repairs, but a small block Chevy is about the most indestructible motor on the planet. All you need to do is simple maintenance and it will last you forever. Just remember, Chrome don't get you home!

• Administrators
@Taelan28 Downs syndrome is not a joke and that is not welcome here. Your welcome here will end if you do not learn to filter your own comments.