Spring starting speed?

A_B

• Baller

What is the concensus on first rides for the year (north of Florida/Texas) for starting at speed or slower?

I have done both, and while it takes longer to get "used" to the speed after starting slow, I "think" I have skied more consistent later when getting more balls at slower speeds.

What say the Ballers?

• Baller
I have been skiing at 34 this winter (usually ski at 36) and have been working on my shorter line lengths. It's given me a lot of practice at my hardest passes while allowing me to focus solely on technique. I'm hoping it will pay off this summer. So far I've sped up to 35mph and everything is feeling great.

• Baller
I start @ 32 vs 34 I'll do six pass sets but first 3-4 passes are drills, kind of settles me in just riding the ski. If I did what Nate Smith does it would go something like this; Go out -22 @34 total rodeo but I'll run it. Go to -28, LFF skier, get a good 1 ball get to 2 in decent shape, jump on the handle early, get a little foward, then you guessed it, OTF. Probably get hurt & spend the rest of the season heckling Nate @ tourneys.

• Supporting Member

Open water for almost a month, since it's too cold to drop frequently. During this time, I do almost exclusively my in-season opener, 34/-28 (with maybe one stretch of -32 thrown in when I start feeling strong-ish).

First day in the course, I dial back to -22. Sometimes I only do this for one pass, but those buoys come up FAST at first. I prefer to start with something I have a decent chance to run.

Then lots and lots of -28 passes to build up a base and settle into rhythm. There will be plenty of time to go on down the rope later in the season. The most valuable thing I can do early is build endurance to be able to train more passes in mid-season.

• Baller_
I pretty much agree with Than, except I may go to -32 free skiing sooner than he does, and I try to free ski a lot of -35, -38 and -39 (although -39 and I aren't well acquainted in the course; we don't often see one another and when we do it isn't usually very good for either of us. Come to think of it, I didn't get along very well with -38 last year, either). I never slow the boat down until I start working on -38 in the course, although there always are exceptions to every rule.

Lpskier

• Baller
I take one pass free skiing and then into the course at my tournament opener and right up the rope to my hardest pass. Im usually one a bouy or two off of previous season average. I think it's just a matter of finding what works for you.

• Administrators
I generally think longer line is a better way to start easy than slower boat. If your normal starting pass is 22 or 15 disregard and slow the boat. My first few rides this year went out at my normal opener and stayed there.