Misconceptions: Light on the Line

Horton

• Baller
Chris Rossi wrote in one of his articles, something to the effect of --once you establish the trailing arm connection, think of the rope as fishing line, breaks easily--I was wondering if Brooks had any thoughts on that, or anyone who runs 38 and 39 all the time.

• Baller

"The key to being light is staying connected throughout the pass"....that one statement says it all.

The "connection" starts with the stance prior to initiation of the edge-out and emphasized at the apex of the edge-out; sets the tone for the remainder of the pass.

• Industry Professional

glad you guys liked it! More on the way. @9400 Rossi definitely knows his stuff and I think it is a great analogy. Think about or actually get a fishing line and hold a side in each hand. If you pull your hands away from each other really fast it is going to pull back in but if you take that same line and pull your hands away progressively and not jerky it won't have that same rebound affect. interesting to think about for sure

• Baller
Hey, I just thought of a great training tool - the breakable ski line. Have any of you ever seen the articulated golf shaft on a practice club? If you swing too hard, the joint breaks loose and you can't hit the ball. If you swing super smooth, the joint stays intact and you can still hit the ball and make great contact. The breakable ski line would do the same thing. If you crank your turn and lose your speed, the resulting increased load will break the line, hit the observer in the face with one end of the rope and you'll hit yourself right in the sternum with your fists and handle. That and you'll be in the water. Boy will you learn your lesson! Maintain your speed, ski back to the handle nice and smooth, minimal need for acceleration and the rope stays together and you're off to 2 ball! Send $50 now and I'll send you your totally-ready-to-snap-at-any-time-rope. Instant results guaranteed!

• Baller
10 years ago the way I skied every line was breakable. Did two ropes on one day...one used and one new with no shock tube. Poor shirtless driver looked like he was caned. When we were younger (Razor1, myself, and our brothers), we would keep track of who broke the most ropes and handles. The handles typically hung in our bedrooms as a "trophy". I guess we didn't learn proper technique...

• Baller
@6balls. I'm with ya, man. I was the same way. That's why I wrote that. I broke two handles in one tournament ride, broke ropes all the time. I've gotten better a little better at maintaining speed. Actually, I think my current rope is ready to go, so I really am using my patented training method.