PS 197 with towers

501Brandon

Do anyone know off the top of your head the weight of the MC tower with bimini and mirror when added to the boat? I might start shopping soon and have a tower on my LXI and love the fact I can get things off the floor yet I am curious of how it would ski without the added weight... My next ride will be a PS 197 at some point!

• Baller
I have slalomed and tricked behind both the PS190 and 197. The 197 had the mini tower. The extra weight made it a slightly better trick boat. The slalom wake was just as flat, but the 197 with the tower had a slightly harder wake. The 190 without the tower had a softer slalom wake, and the trick was was a little softer. The difference between the two is marginal. I am not sure if Master Craft still does the mini tower and full tower for the pro stars. I have never skied behind a Malibu so I can't compare..

• Baller

2007-2008. The difference between the two is so marginal. The tower actually makes the trick wakes better, but has almost no effect on the slalom wake. I am used to a 1994 Ski Nautque and I keep everything on the stock settings. I have never messed with the rudder or the prop. I would still get it without the tower since it gets in the way most of the time. It is useful for kneeboarding though. I keep a boat for decades, and I am not sure how good the Ilmor engines are since they are so new and have not been tested over time.

Jason, if your boat has the same hull as the 1993, then you will like the new Master Crafts. It has the same soft wake, except they have flattened out the rooster tail. When I practice for tournaments I try not to ski on the same boat two days in a row so I don't get used to skiing on only one boat.

@shaneh the whole ilmor program has been great for MasterCraft. The engineers like them better, the dealers like them better, and most of the owners seem to like them better.

@GAJ0004 ilmor has a much better engine program than either PCM or Indmar imo. Due to their racing, and offshore background they have far more engineering resources when compared to the other inboard mfg. The MV8's have been going into a lot of very high end non water sports boats since they were introduced and have had great success.

• Baller

I did not know the Ilmor was involved in boat racing. I like PCM. Mine has been very good. I will have to take a closer look at them. I am probably going to have to replace my boat in a few years. I am closing in on 2000 hours and it may need a major overhaul by then. I have about 1600 hours on mine now. I had compression check run, and the mechanic said the numbers were good for a boat of it's age. I would like to get an SN 200, but that may be more than I can afford, and the nearest dealer is 4 hours away. I would probably end up going with a master craft today if I had to replace my boat. There are two master craft dealers within an hour's drive of where I live and where I ski.

• Members
@GAJ0004 I always considered myself a Mastercraft guy; still have my 96 PS 190 but have you skied or driven the late model SN196? I made 4 trips to FL. This winter & finally spent some time driving & skiing the 196. It's quite the slalom tug & you can probably get in one under 30K

• Baller

I have slalomed behind the 2002-2009 Ski Nautique 196.. Loved it! I still have not had a chance to trick behind one. It is not the slalom wakes that you have to sell me on. The 3 boats I have tried (carbon pro, PS190/197, and the SN200) all feel very similar. The only two considerations left are the trick wakes, and the boat's reliability and ease of maintenance. Based on my experience and observations of other boat owners on my lake I have found PCM to be more reliable than Indmar. Each of the 4 boats has features I like. If I could design my own boat. I would design a SN200 closed bow with the dash from a 1994-1996 Ski Nautique. I like having the speedometers in my line of sight since I also barefoot and pull barefooters. I also like having the cruise control display in my line of sight. I would like to have the boat as light weight as the Carbon Pro. I like the transom saver on the master craft teak platform. I still like the teak platform. The other considerations I have is to make sure the boat will fit in the garage, and that it will fit on my boat lift. If I were to demo a new boat I would bring my trick ski along. That is the most important test(all of them already pass the slalom test as far as I am concerned).

• Baller
@GAJ0004, depends on how important barefooting is to you. The barefoot wake on the 197 and 196 is not so good, would be tough to get adequate speed from the SN 200. The Malibu Response had a pretty decent barefoot wake and the Sportster was better...have not footed a LXi. All have pretty nice slalom wakes. Can't comment on trick. All depends on what is important to you outside the slalom realm in terms of space/trick/barefoot/handling, near as I can tell.

@GAJ0004 Ilmor has been involved with the high performance offshore industry for a few years now. The engines are based off of the Viper V-10 block, and they have developed their own drive as well. Several of the customers at the company I'm currently working for are huge fans of the Ilmor package.

The version in the picture is their 710hp variant.

• Baller

We just got our 2012 PS 197 in at the school this week with the Ilmor. I will say this engine is way more powerful than our 2011 with the MCX. It has power out of the hole and solid in the course. Having experience with the MCX (indmar) and the PCM Excalibur (nautique), I would say overall this is the better motor. The engine seems better engineered as well.

To discuss the tower on the PS 197, our 2011 has a tower and I will say it is way better in wind and for handling. The 2012 has the standard bimini and today happened to be windy so it was definitely lifting the boat a little bit, making it a little loose. I would for sure do the tower, adds weight and looks great. Puts the bimini higher which is nice and is was more versatile.

• Baller
The PS 197 is a good barefoot boat. The problem I have with the industry as a whole is the boats keep getting bigger. I prefer them to stay between 19-20 feet. The dealers near my lake sell Carbon Pros, Malibus and Master Crafts. I only barefoot recreationally, no good enough to compete. My 1994 Ski Nautique is still my favorite boat to trick behind. It has a flat turbulent free table, and hard defined wake crests. The PS197 is pretty good, but the wakes are a little softer than mine. Only 3 changes to the carbon pro. I would like to see a speedometer for driving manually, a snap down carpet, and a full removable back seat. If my boat's engine were to die, I would replace it with a PCM ex343.

@Triplett thanks! I have been curious about what some opinions are with everyday use. I am guessing the towers are 150-200 lbs with a bimini only? If it changes the wake in a negative way I wouldnt consider it. I really do like the bimini being up a little more and do know it appears a lot easier to sell a direct drive these days with a tower on it. I know @ShaneH would probably turn around and leave if he were skiing with us since I have a tower and wedge on my LXI... Altough I am baffled at the wedge statement as my wedge is clearly out of the water when the boat is on plane...

Was talking with a tower company yesterday that made the original zero flex mc tower. They said weight of a tower alone is around 40-50lbs. Bimini i'm guessing is 15-20 at most. So your not adding much weight with the aircraft alum towers.

• Baller
I have an X-7 which is basically a 197 with a tower and ballast sack.I don't notice the difference when I go behind a 197.My P.B. seems to be the same behind different boats and cruise controls.Check with Wolfie on this sight.He might be selling a clean X-7 for cheap.