How to determine length (D3 Nomad RCX) for a 15 off'r hoping to move up to at least into -28

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

I have skied for years on a 66" Duvall 900s. Mostly freeskiing, but would run a course if I could. Last 10 years have been occasional free skiing. Never seriously. Getting back into it now. I purchased a used 68" D3 Nomad RCX. From the charts I can find, (see here: http://www.hotwater.cc/index.php?id=146009) it looks like the right length for me at lower speeds, but if and when I get up to 34, it looks like I am on the bubble or the ski is a bit long. I am 185 or so pounds, and if anything, will drop a little weight in summer with cycling. I grew up on salt, and cold water in the PNW, and am used to my ski feeling like it is riding high and fast on the water.

As far as where I am in skiing, I have always freeskied at a fast speed, as close to 36 as the boat would take me (old outboard). I would slow the boat during my pull though. Now that I hope to get into the course, (and will be behind a comp boat), I suppose I will be dropping my speed and working the -15 off up to speed, and etc.

What do you guys think about length for me?

• Baller

FYI - I hover around 181 (+/- 5 lbs), 5'7". My max speed is 34. I have the Nomad RCX 67". Even when I would do drills at 32, I had no issue riding the 67" ski. It was fine at -22 and -28. I am currently riding a 67 2011 Radar Strada.

So, I think either will work, but that the 67" will be more appropriate at -22+. If you are on the high side of your typical weight and expect to drop down to 180, then the 67 will be better at short line.

• Baller

Thanks guys. @ToddL, I crack 190 during winter, alpine ski season, and get down into the mid 180s in the summer the last couple years. I am going to try to drop that range to 185 in the winter and 180 and under during the summer, or even a bit lower. We'll see how that goes. But @Marco was having success on a 67" at 190.

Well, I have the 68". I will ski it for now and keep my eye open for a 67" with inserts for D3 bindings. There is a 67" on ski-it-again right now, but drilled for HO. Once I find a 67", I can try both and keep the one I like best.

Any of you guys have a 67" RCX in your ski closet gathering dust?