2012 Reflex Boot w/White Cuff

ski4xtc

• Baller

Has anyone tried the new 2012 Reflex Boot with the white cuff? What differences did you notice from previous Reflex Boots? How about the single carbon plates verses the alloy? Anyone switched to the aluminum buckles? How were they to install?

I have an older Reflex with the older 400 series release. It is in pretty good condition except for the buckles. Instead of replacing the old buckles with the same, I would like to have the aluminum buckles. Not sure why they do not come standard with those. Anyway, thinking about upgrading to new boot, buckles, plate and release but would like to hear some input before I spend the big bucks. Thanks in advance for your comments.

• Baller
@Mr. Jones - I have been using it since November/2011 with the strap all loose, about 1 month ago I took it back to the center hole, I did noticed some difference, but really cant tell yet if it is better of worse. Next time I ski I will restrict even more the movement to get a better feeling and will inform you.

• Baller

Interesting. I did not realize the strap was adjustable. I like the idea of the strap to save your achilles in an OTF fall, (Hopefully pulling the release free instead of my tendon doing the same job) but I don't think I want a sudden increase in tip pressure if I push a bit too much forward in the turn.

FWIW CP was still using his old style boot with the top cut down at The Ridge. Haven't seen many pics of any other pros on the white either.

• Baller
I have only skied on the white cuff twice. There is nothing progressive about it. The cuff itself provides no tip pressure till the strap comes tight. Seems like a strap on the regular cuff with the boot tabs intact would provide both a progressive tip load and the safety of the strap in protecting the achilles. Did you guys stick with the white cuff and if not why not? Thanks

• Baller

Just ordered another white cuff yesterday as a back up or more commonly when i forget my other one when traveling. I have been very happy with the one i got last year and have had no issues with it other than forgeting to bring it with me from time to time.

They say when you get old the memory is the second thing to go!!

Damn what was the first thing again???

• Baller

@ktm300 - I concur. What you describe (all or nothing) is most noticeable with the thin Reflex liner. Using a thicker Intuition liner, the fore & aft movement is dampened a bit and tip pressure more gradually engaged. I cannot use the strap in either the short or middle position due to too much tip too early; only the lengthiest (loosest) position is suitable.

With a bit of trouble (pita actually) one can drill out the rivets from the heel block, then attach a bungee behind the strap and inside the shell using large washers and small diameter stainless machine bolts to remount the heel block being careful to secure it back tightly and then clean up the ends, cover with silicone to protect the shin, etc. This provides a progressive engagement of tip (or at least the sensation of such) until the strap is fully taught.

WhiteCuffBungee.png

• Baller
Thx @Gloersen. I got a lot of miles out of my FM before trying the Reflex so I am looking to get the boot exactly the way I want it and then set it and forget it. Sounds like maybe the regular shell is the way to go for me and if I want I can add a safety strap. (never needed one with my FM which has Silveretta release)

• Baller
Does anyone know if I can purchase just the white cuff, and back strap? I have the reflex boot and would like to upgrade it to the white chuff with brake strap. I currently use this set up, I would like to put another boot together for back up.