Copyright Issues??

• Baller

Everyone knows that skiing videos are MUCH better with some editing, effects, and soundtracks. Well, I put my iPad to good use and put together a short video from the state tournament held in Georgia over the weekend. The video contained an audio track by a country artist. Not 30 minutes after posting the video to youtube, I received an email notifying me that "I may have content that is owned or licenesed by SME". The video remains posted on youtube. No big deal. Right?

Well, I later posted the SAME video to my Facebook page. Less than 24 hours after posting, the video was automatically removed from my page. I received an email stating, "We have removed your video. This vdieo may include copyrighted material that you do not have the right to share". etc etc

So what gives??? There are thousands of homemade videos out there with soundtracks added. Are they ALL in copyright infringement? Whats the potential harm here? I just don't get it.

• Baller

The copyright owner owns ALL the rights to the content they create. For most music sold/downloaded, the copyright owner allows you as the purchaser to listen to it in private non-commercial situations only. Anything beyond that and you need additional permissions from the holder of the copyright. The harm is facebook and youtube are making $$ off the content even if you aren't.

It's happened to me. I have taken several photos and been paid for those photos to be published in magazines like The Waterskier. Can you imagine how I felt when those same photos showed up on the IWSF website or this website without equivalent compensation or acknowledgement.

• Baller
I can understand that. Obviously, I payed to download the song. I also payed $1 via the video editor app to overlay the soundtrack to my video. I can see that youtube is making money. But I have a hard time considering my Facebook page to be commercial. Everything I post is limited to my friends. It was the easiest way to share with my friends and family the highlights from the tourney. But Facebook took that away. I guess I'm just going to send out a bunch of emails, or the link to the YouTube page.

Only the copyright owner has the right to make his/her work accessible to public. If you post it on Facebook you do just that, without authorization. So, if the owner chooses to object, he/she is entitled to do that. This is the essence.There are instances of "fair use" provided for by the law, but posting on Facebook is definitely not there!

• Baller

You are always going to have that problem if you use off the shelf music on Youtube, Facebook or Vimeo. Their software is designed to search all new posts for copyrighted content. There is a ton of great Free Creative Commons music out there for use in personal videos.

A hint would be to google how to use copyrighted music on Youtube and you will find out how others do this.

This has happened to me few times while making videos, i think it depends on the music group, for me most of my videos now, youtube recognizes the song and sends me an email, you have someone elses work, blah blah blah, nothing needs to be done blah blah blah, sometimes they take it off though, i have found too that if you put a song and youtube recognizes it, you may not be able to watch it with mobile, many people put the song name and artist, and declare its someone elses work, but i dont think it does anything