Ski Photos that just make you happy

Horton

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@elr that is a cool pic. My son doesn't have the reverse toe stuff yet. He does basic TB, TF, TSS (sometimes gets pulled) and is working on TB, TF. His TF is better than his TB which I find strange because I am the reverse.

• Baller
@Chef23 - Thank you and your son is looking really strong. The picture really does make me smile. We've been blessed by his natural ability (all from his mom) and exceptional coaching. We have also worked trick alot waiting for him to get stronger. TF is normally more difficult than TB so that could be a sign of something special for your son. RTB is a very hard gateway trick that normally takes a lot of water time and good coaching. My son is working hard on his next gateway trick - wrap in TO - and finally got a few that would have scored last week! (Amazing what bribery and exceptional coaching will do.)

• Baller

A good friend of mine took this one of me 2 weeks ago. It is special for a couple of reasons, 1st its the best pic ever of me and I've been skiing over 45 years.

2nd, it reminds me of a poster I used to have in my room where George Athans is rounding a ball and he's parallel to the water and has the handle above his high shoulder. Wish I still had that poster, It was for Sea-Gliders water skis I think,

What a tremendous sport.

GWhttp://ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/utility/thumbnail/2419/~cf/FileUpload/61/7894be8b84696de6c5f0082d3f5df4.jpg

• Baller

@GaryWilkinson - I actually just google-images'd that. Your description made me think "I'm sure I know the photo he's talking about". Anyhow, the one I posted was the highest resolution I could find, unfortunately.

It also made me appreciate the way we older folks have grown and stayed in the sport. When I was a teenager in the 80s I was @ the Canadian Nationals and George did a quick demo slalom for the news cameras. He didn't compete, just the demo. I think he was skiing 35 off at 34mph. At the time, (it seemed) there were very few older guys competing, and they were all very amateur-ish. We young guys were watching George thinking 'wow, he's so old and still skiis amazing' - he was probably 35 years old at the time. Fast forward 25-30 years and Drew Ross (who was probably with us on the dock back then, watching 'old' George's demo) ran 3 @ 41 at the Canadian Nationals a week or two ago - at 41 or 42 years of age, and I can youtube Kris Lapoint running -39 earlier this at 59 years of age. Fantastic.

• Baller
@andjules - In Gordon Rathbun's e-mails he continually states how great skiing is because of the facts you just mentioned. What other sport does what skiing does? Most other sports (of course there are exceptions) the pro's are done after 3 years on average. In skiing, people will get BETTER with time. Which makes it all the better for hacks like myself!

• Baller

@Wish, she just likes to do crazy stuff, like Warrior Dash, etc. She skied on 2 skis one year, just to go.

@triplett was there too. I pulled him at 36 first pass, then he dropped to 34 mph on the turnaround, it wasn't due to water conditions! Driving was no joy ride. Hot chili and margaritas immediately after!!

• Baller
September 7, 2007, Waterloo, IA. Fall tournament with brother Dave and son Mitch also skiing. We all skied PB's that day, and I ran 38 off for the first time in my life -- and it was in a tournament. My wife, Susan, had the camera and these are the pictures of all six turns in sequence. One of my favorite moments skiing ever!

• Baller

@Texas6 -- to say they fall more -- yes. To say they have gotten automatic or easy -- nope. But I run one or two tournament 38s a year most years and probably 20+ in practice each season. Driver was Barry Madden. Great guy who I knew for years -- he was really pumped too. Usually had a heater hanging out of his mouth while he was driving.

@Horton -- absolutely was one of those cool moments that I'll never forget -- my first ever 38! Funny thing was I had NEVER looked at a 39 gate before in my life and somehow managed to get 2.

Funny story -- in 2005, two years before this, I bought Barry's MC 197 TT that I still drive today.