60 slalom skiers at MA State Championship

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

I wasn't actually able to attend, but this is an interesting sign of the growth of the sport.

It wasn't long ago that half that would have been typical.

And it's a lot of kids and up-and-coming skiers, not just the Olde Guarde.

Chef23, rayn, cwillygood, and perhaps others may be able to say more.

But at least here in the northeast, the "dying sport" theory is patently false.

• Baller
It was a great crowd with lots of kids. @cwillygood had a PB and skied great in both rounds. I would say there were at least a half a dozen kids for whom it was their first tournament plus another 4 or so who were skiing in their second. It was a two round tournament and even with some scratches in the second round there were at least 110 pulls for the day.

• Baller
Here in the SCR we had 75 junior skiers at the regional Junior Development tournament a couple of weeks ago st San Marcos River Ranch. And those numbers don't include several top juniors that were injured or chose to go elsewhere in on a quest for records (congrats! Ruth). Junior skiing is alive and well in the SCR.

• Baller
I'd say we are experiencing something similar in the western region - at least in Northern California. Junior Development participation is very good. Looking at the number in a typical Class C you see the "wave" of old dudes (which includes me) that moved through Mens 3, into Mens 4 and which is now starting to grow Mens 5, a lull in Mens 1 and 2, but quite a few B/G 1s, 2s, and 3s. Need to figure out ways to continue to bring in kids and families from outside the sport that might be interested in boating and water sports, but don't know about or currently have access to 3-event or at least slalom.

• Supporting Member

So here's a borderline serious question: How much of the current growth in the sport is driven by the zillions of hits on BoS? Or is the relationship entirely the opposite (i.e. that the growing sport drives more traffic to BoS).

I am sorta thinking that the availability of information on this site helps bring a lot of people from hackers to slalomers to tournament slalomers, but maybe that's pure nonsense.

• Baller
Wow, is Horton paying you? I always talk about less skiers in Colorado, but really I think it is just spread out between more sites now. We have 5 on the western slope, and 2-3 more on the other side(Denver, Windsor)

• Baller
@Drago - I think there are less skiers overall than the '70s - '90s, but that there is somewhat of a small resurgence. Probably driven mostly by all the Mens 3, 4, and 5 being old enough to bring their kids into the sport. Way less three eventers for sure. This website can't hurt, that's for sure, but I wonder how many people it's reaching that are not already involved. I hope some small percentage at least.

• Supporting Member

@kmenard join awsa as an active member and you'll get a tournament guide. Also can find the schedule online on usawaterski.org.

State championship has been held in Oakham for at least 20 years, and maybe 50 for all I know! Its just a regular tournament and in fact often the best MA slalom skiers in some divisions aren't even there.

This region has a full tournament calendar with something within 3 hrs pretty much every weekend.

• Baller

@kmenard on the USA Water Ski web site you can find a schedule of all events. Here is a link that I use but I don't know if the selection of Eastern Region comes through.

http://www.usawaterski.org/rankings/View-TournamentsHQ.asp

There is a drop down where you can select just the Eastern Region.

There are also three INT events coming up in New England over the next six weeks or so:

http://www.intleague.com/newengland/event-schedule/

It twas a great tournament for sure!!! @Chef23 was skiing at 8 at night in the rain!!! we certainly found the maximum amount of skiers we could pull in one day i think around 110 pulls

there is tons of kids which is great, lots of them from Avon and some more out of MA and NH

on the lines of the juniors the EASTERN region all star team is looking pretty good this year, we are hoping to at least not get last haha