HO A2 vs. Radar Strada/Vice

RideTheWood

• Baller

I'm trying to decide between the HO A2 and Radar Strada (actually the Vice, since I don't want to shell out the dough for the Strada; found a deal on an A2 making it comparable in price to Vice) and would appreciate opinions from folks who have skied both. I demo'd and liked both the A2 and Strada. The Strada was very different from what I'm accustomed to, but fun and super light – loved how it crossed the wake.

The A2 was more familiar to me – a carving turn, lots of control, but didn't feel as fast as the Strada, somewhat squirrely when flat. I'd need to figure out how to ski the Vice, but feel I'd dial it in, just felt different than my old skis.

I would like to have demo'd the Vice, but it wasn't available. Demo'd both with Vector boots, which were comfy and firm.

I'm 6'4" around 185 lbs., skiing mostly around 34mph, fresh water, not trying to be in the course (but skied it when I was a kid so know what I'm doing there). Know how to ski well, but will be out infrequently, looking for safe ski that's fun to ride on those lucky days I get out. I'm 52, strong, but not trying to compete.

So, I'm wondering who can compare the rides between A2 and the Vice and make suggestions/comment?

Wondering if I'd get used to the different feel of the Strada/Vice?

Will I experience much difference between a Vice and the Strada I demo'd?

Thanks for any help - looking to make the decision asap.

RideTheWood

• Baller
I have a 2012 strada and I have skied a vice and there isnt much difference. The vice is a little more manageable in the rough water compared to the strada. The vice has the same speeds as the strada just accelerates a little slower. The only draw back I would say is when you get into a bind on the course and need the quick acceleration its not as good as the strada. At your level I doubt you will feel a difference. I have not ridden the A2 but I had alot of time on the A1 and the A2 is just a slightly faster A1. That ski requires you to be more forward that the strada and skiing it requires more energy. If you are a tail rider the A1/A2 will not turn and the vice will still turn. The turn on the A1/A2 is more carvy feeling than the strada and does come back to the centerline very nice.

• Baller
Thanks - I found a good deal on a new A2, so plan to pull the trigger on it. Any comments on the Radar Vector boots? I found them very comfortable, so am planning to mount them rather than the double Attack boots the ski otherwise comes with.

@RideTheWood make sure you verify that the rear Vector's bolt patterns line up on the HO ski. If I remember correctly the FeatherLight Vectors only have the bolting pattern for Radar Skis, and the aluminum plate versions fit all ski bolt patterns. If you can get the feather lights your ski will feel much lighter.

From Radar's Site:

*Purchase Aluminum plated Vector Boots for Radar skis manufactured before 2011 or for other ski companies mounting hole patterns.

• Baller

@Joeprunc is correct, to mount Radar Vectors on a HO you need the aluminum plate version. I am tweeking a set on a Coeff-X now and after an initial adjustment period and some advice from this site like them quite a bit. They are SO comfortable.

One additional bit of advice on the Radar plates, I had to file the slotted holes on the front plate a little for width and length to get them on my ski. Nothing too radical but something I would definately do prior to mounting everything up. That way when you are dialing things in on the water you can easily get the full range of adjustment if needed.