My new Reflex binding just kicked my rear, any thoughts?

skiray

I finally decided to try a binding binding. I should have taken video. I didn't get up the first two attempts. The ski flopped to the left. (RFF skier) them, the ski was overturning 1, would not turn 2.... I typically run 22, 28 and a few at 32 at 34.2. Today I was a consistent 2, didn't matter the line length.

Any thoughts? I'm going to check the fin tonight. The binder was at same location 29.5". And appears to be in the middle of the factory plate. (side to side - not sure if the red guides actually impact alignment)

• Baller
I recently went to a reflex myself and it was the white cuff boot. I did have to the plate back one hole from where my rubber plates were to free up the ski. After that the ski was like normal. getting out of the water the first time makes you feel like a newbie again. It will only get better.

• Baller
I had the same initial experience when switching to a Reflex. I doubt there's anything wrong with your setup....its just a change in "feeling" that you probably need to adjust to. To be in a good skiing position, you need to have your front knee bent with your ankle flexed towards the balls of your feet. However, the Reflex (especially a new one) require more initial input to get that forward flex. So I discovered that as soon as a got up, I'd go ahead and flex and set my front foot before pulling out for the gates. As soon as I did that, my skiing came right back. I think because of the increased stiffness, I was afraid of pushing too hard forward on the boot and this prevented me from really having any front foot pressure in the turns. No front foot pressure = no turn!!

I switched this year and had problems due to the liner/binding not being "tight" enough on my foot. I ultimately had to use a different liner (RS-1) to fill the extra space and create the very solid contact I seem to need with the ski in order to ski consistently well. A liner switch is not unusual for this system......I guess a lot of the top skiers who use reflex use it with a different brand of liner.....often Goode. (I just happened to have an RS-1 liner laying around and it worked out well - though the tounge is a bit too short - still working to correct that issue)

I also have the reflex back 1 hole from my "other binding position" (I'm all the way back). Other wise I had way to much tip even though the fin is exactly where this ski is dial for me.

I'm sure you have notice that a Reflex is not necessarily stiffer than a stiff rubber system. At least not until it is properly (tightly) fit on you.

Keep working the problem (binding) until it is right. You should be able to tweek it so that you are at least near where you started.....though this can be frustrating.

Make sure every thing is tight.........that screws and the white adjusters are all making solid contact. Just be a bit careful.

JIII

Switched to Powershells about 7 yrs. ago. Took me around 4 to 5 free skis to figure them out. I think when you change equipment you also change how you're skiing. Maybe a little tenative. The day I went out and forgot I was on the new set-up was the day that it started to work. I have now had the same Powershells on 3 different skis.

• Baller
Going to hardshells will make you a newbie really fast. You will get it pretty soon and then love it. Try loosening the upper binding a little for the first few runs. My first run on hardshells I couldn't turn on my onside.

@skifreak I have yet to try my Reflex and I'm guessing the front toe pressure changes significantly once the strap tightens. What issues were you having before you went to the top hole? And did other issues show up after the change?

• Baller

@PatRe, give it some time. Up to now, I have seen people getting used to Reflex in one pass, most in a few sets, and a couple in a few months, but never anyone giving them up because of not getting used.

Which liner are you using?

@KcSwerver Where are my manners? I just saw your post. That's the sort of information I'm hoping to hear! Thanks!

@ral I'll most likely use, or at least start with, the Reflex (thin?) liner that came with it.

• Baller
Cuz Reflex has two liners, a thermoformable and a silver pre-shaped one. If you have the thermoformable (black), DO THERMOFORM IT before skiing. Go for the middle hole in the strap first. Be careful in not over-tightening the boot, but do not leave loose buckles. You do not want to fall and have your foot half out of the plastic shell...

So, I should have signed off, since it is after drunkthirty, but here goes: you guys are making me nutso! Cant the gd binding. Hardshells don't allow you to roll your ankle. You will drastically minimize the learning curve if you use some washers or whatever under one side of the plate to get the binding aligned with your shin. If you don't do this, and your shin is not aligned with the binding you'll use all your joints to get the ski flat. It can be done, but far from optimal. Some people are almost square, they learn hardshells quickest. Everybody else is out of line and needs cants. The crooked folks take much longer to learn without cants. Do it first, then all the other placement stuff. Ahem. Sorry for the rant. Signing off now. See the post from Jaime B.

• Baller

WhiteCuffBungee.png

Cutting the top of the cuff down helps taming the tendency to turn one way by removing pressure from too far above the ankle.

Two lower buckles tight, cuff buckle kind of loose, just less than snug. When it feels right, mark the straps so they are tightened the same amount each time, otherwise consistency wanes.

• Baller

ditto cut the cuff down, works much better. the blocks that hold the rear release adjust them so your heel is center on the plate, the white adjusters will not be even when you get the heel centered. im rff and my adjusters are right side 1/4 in left side all the way in to get the heel centered.

think short

Deano

First, thank you all for all your (much needed) help. At best, I'm a rookie regarding Relex. I had some hunches but you guys cleared things up. I took my first ride tonight. Wow! The ski is ultra sensitive! It's too early to further comment as I went back to an RTP. I couldn't get my foot in far enough since is too small... A new one is en route. Early signs are favorable! BTW, I set the release to about 4.5.

@ral I took your advice and thermoformed the liner before skiing. They are so much more comfortable after doing so. It feels like my foot, liner and shell (and ski) are one.

@gator1 I used hardshells many years ago and placed two spacers under the heel to help achieve toe pressure. I'm not sure how I could apply the cants but would like to learn more about it. RFF.

@teammalibu and Deanoski Great point! I centered it before adjusting the release.

@Gloersen Nice picture. I didn't cut the cuff as of yet. "...helps taming the tendency to turn one way..." could that be related to my off side aggressively overturning? (It was fine before).

@ShaneH I received your message regarding the strap. My off side turn suddenly gets deep and turns real hard. I don't move forward into the turn. Instead, I flex my ankle. The strap is in the center hole and I'm suspicious the end of travel puts sudden pressure on the front of the ski and causes the above. Any thoughts? I plan to go to top hole before the next ride.

@patre. Put your ski on the dock with fin hanging free. Get in your reflex and rtp. Stand in your neutral skiing position. Note the position of your front leg where it enters the cuff of the reflex. If your leg is centered side to side in the cuff you do not need cants. If , however, the cuff is biting into the right side of your calf/shin and not the left you need cants. Use some washers to jack up the left (arch) side of the plate until your calf is centered in the plate. Typically a 1/4 to 3/8 inch of washers on each mounting screw on the left edge of the plate between the plate and ski. Try it. If it skis better let me know and I'll type up a poor mans method for you to make a good set of cants.