Achellies surgery

T8skier

29 days post op (7/24) and in a boot for a week now. I take my boot off as much as I can and I'm doing similar ROM exercises that you guys seem to be doing No PT but doing the exercises on my own. Still pretty swollen. Decent side to side and circular motion movement. My foot goes down pretty good, but very tight moving upward and doctor told me to stay within that range for now and don't push it. Glad to see you are beginning your weight bearing. Anything similar on this one?

I have to wait to week six to begin weight bearing. I have started to place a small percentage of weight on it however, very small. I did have that burning pulling sensation in the wound but mostly gone now. Not much change in the swelling however. How is your swelling progressing? Looks like I'll be 2 weeks behind you guys on weight bearing. I'm anxious to start that part and be able to get around the house without crutches.

I think it is good having all the post here. If it's an indicator of the popularity of this thread look at the amount of views to our thread. It's ranks right up there. I know in the past I would look at injury threads to see if there was something in there that would help me prevent a future injury

I had allot of trouble sleeping with the boot the first night and it's getting easier. A few days ago I went on the Bledsoe website to see that they have a smaller boot made for sleeping. So i called my surgeon and they said I can come in Friday and they will fix me up with a sleeping splint. So I'll let you know how that is when I get it. I figure to be in the boot for almost 6 more weeks so it may make a difference.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I hit 3 ball last year at 38 when I was rocking the pass but edge changed a little too soon. Screwed my medial ankle but also my achilles took a hit...thankfully didn't rupture but the pain in the achilles long outlasted the medial ankle. This year our turn balls are 1/2 full of water and what a difference. Maybe not as good as bubble buoys but a number of us have drilled our "water" balls and had little to no ski disruption. We still fell due to being late etc but no ski hop followed by ski dig/injury. Will never go back.

Went to doc today (38 days post op). I went early because things have felt different the last two days and I couldn't wait until my scheduled Monday appointment. The feeling of tape pulling has went away and I feel less tightness. He said that was a good thing. Start pt in the morning. In two weeks I will get a brace that I can wear with my shoe. If the brace works I will go back to work Oct 1.

I tried sleeping with boot one night and was done with that. I use two ace bandages wrap them loose enought to restrict my foot from flexing. Sleeping ok now.

• Baller

@T8skier @MikeT I expect to start walking some without the crutches, but with the boot sometime this coming week. If all goes well (it will) I expect to have a couple right shoes fitted with a heel lift and start some walking in shoes. Within this period the PT folks expect to have me start exercising the upper parts of the injured leg to help prepare it for the transition back to walking again.

Keep up with your progress - but don't push to hard!

@T8skier - I don't like sleeping with the boot either - but, be careful without it. I toss and turn too much and would risk stress on the tendon if I tried to sleep without. Also, I stumbled a bit the other night walking up concrete stairs at a Chicago restaurant. I was so glad I had my boot on or it could have been scary for my repaired tendon as I planted that foot to prevent falling.

• Baller

Hey guys, you can add 1 more to the list.

My wife ruptured hers last Sat., complete tear. Surgury w/in 3 hours and so the process begins. She is not a happy camper but will be diligent w/the PT. Mike T and I discussed on e-mail. Mike, good to hear your out of your cast but I was looking forward to taking a pix of the two of you at the score table on the 8th. You with the left up and her w/the right on pillows.

She did it going around 2 ball. Didn't hit the ball but just kind of layed it over and skipped a couple of times on her side. Her back (left) foot came out leaving the front to fend for itself.

Stoker dbl boots, pretty snug but not as much as some.

I've just changed to Connely Stealth with the plate. Have had a couple of bad falls out the front this year while getting used to the new set-up but the plate release left no impression of torque or injury to my knees or ankles. Have hit a few balls and still no stress. The front hard cuff seems to prevent knee forward ankle jam before the heal of the plate releases. I've released from the toe as well hard enough to break the tab off and still no problem. (Obviously, I suck but still like to try)!

Keep the thread going! Good read for those in the same boat.

PS. We WILL be going to new balls of some kind by next year.

• Baller

@BobS - really sorry to hear about you wife, def a tough break.

To all my fellow "achilles injured" - yesterday, at 5 weeks and 5 days since my surgery my physical therapist had me make one lap around the facility with my walking boot and no crutches. This is the first time I have walked since my injury (which was one week before surgery). And, it felt great! A little awkward at first with the boot making my right leg longer - but darn good to be walking again. They told me to continue to use the crutches most of the time, but tomorrow they expect me to walk in without them. Today I did a few chores around the house, and did some more walking without the crutches. A couple more weeks, maybe next week, I could give up the boot next.

Yesterday we also started some upper leg exercises to get the leg ready to be walking again. And, already my calf muscle has regained a little of what was lost to atrophy. Progress!

@MikeT @Garn @T8skier - how are you guys coming along? Best wishes.

PT going well. Ankle is feeling looser when I move it around. Started walking with a shoe indoors only Monday. Very tight. No where close to a normal gate, but nice to be in a shoe. We worked on balancing on one foot. The first time I tried I could not do it for 2 secs. I can stand for a minute on a good try.

BobS wife just get thru the first month. Things get better after that!

• Baller

I second what @T8skier advised @BobS wife. First couple days after surgery are the worse; mostly just aggravation and discomfort for a few weeks after that - then things start getting much better after that. It is a long road - but as winter passes by, we'll all be well on our way to recovery.

And, I'm moving south - so hope to be back on the water early spring.

• Baller

Saw my Dr for 1st time in 3 weeks today. He gave me some heel lifts to put in my shoe and I no longer have to wear the walking boot! I'll sleep good tonight without that thing on!

At rehab we started with some light resistance work with the right foot as well. Probaly only a few more weeks with the PT sessions then I am on my own to continue to get ready for next spring.

Hope the rest of you are progressing well!

• Baller

Been what, 3 months for me now. I've been out of a boot and everything for quite sometime. Now its just PT and home exersize. I have really good range of motion but zero strength. So that's what I'm working on - biulding back my strength. It also surprised me how my balance on that leg was completely gone. I've had to work to regain my balance. For me there is nothing new to really report. It is just slow but continual progress one day at a time. I go back to my doctor next week for the first time in six weeks. Maybe he will say I can start running again. But for now there is no running or jumping.

Garn

Very glad to hear everyone is progressing well. I met up with Claudia who tore her achilles two weeks ago at a NH tournament. It always helps to compare how things are going. Haven't had much to report over the last 3 weeks. I've been in a boot and have been able to do ROM exercises. I'm 49 days post op. My MD told me I can start to walk with two crutches and go to one in 2-3 days. In about one and half days my PT gave me permission to use just one crutch. I feel strong walking in the boot. I'm walking slowly around the house without any crutches. I focus on walking on the heel first. I'm starting to work with a PT tomorrow. Still dealing with swelling but that sounds like the norm. Looking forward to get his evaluation and PT protocol

I can now start sleeping without the boot as well. I did try walking with a crutch and no boot very very slowly to see what it felt like. Since my foot is swollen it feels somewhat weird stepping on the swollen foot, but I can still weight on it. I will post more often now to keep everyone up on my PT progress.

@garn. I can't bend my ankle yet how long did it take to be able to take a normal step. you said your leg is still very weak, but you say you think you could still be strong enough to go running?

Hope you all are still progressing

MikeT

• Baller

I went to doc Thursday. Post Op 8 weeks. He said ROM and swelling was good and no more PT was needed. I had him give me another two weeks. I think the doctors goal is to get two shoes on and don't hurt the tendon.

My goal is to be 100% as soon as possible.

I walk with a limp still. Rode my bike 5 miles. Very easy. My goal is to be able to do a calf raise. Not even close yet.

@MikeT. Start doing circles, point toe bring toe back to you as often as you can.

I never went to a single crutch.

• Baller
"Interesting" is one word for it... I've been very disappointed that many, many doctors view their goal as getting you to "mostly OK." They don't seem to get that many of us want to do everything we can to truly get back to 100%, and we're willing to work at it to get there. I have found, however, that sometimes explicity stating that can adjust their attitude.

• Baller

I don't know if I could go running. I think I could if it doesn't hurt it. I'll find out Friday. My strength is coming back slowly. But it is coming back. As far as a normal step, that is all relative to how you describe a "normal" step. I still have to force myself to walk "normal" without limping. It's easier to limp but that does me no good. When I hit the end of my range-of-motion, its like hitting a wall. So I still have a ways to go there as well.

Garn

Unfortunately when you have an injury you have to find a doctor that is available to repair you and do the research yourself for rehab.

There are two schools of thought on Achilles injurys.

1. Don't do anything and keep cast on for at least 4 weeks. Then continue doing very little.

2. Get cast off quick get on feet as soon as possible to stop loss of motion and atrophy.

Doc decided on plan 1. I went with plan 2 after I got cast off after 4 weeks.

Was able to ride my bike for 30 min at a 16mph pace. Not great but, felt good to be moving.

• Baller

Interesting discussion. Glad to hear of all the progress by everyone!

My surgery was Jul 19th. On Sept 4 (6 weeks, 5 days post-op) my Doc had me ditch the boot completely and start walking in shoes with a small heel lift. I had been off crutches a week or so. I continue to do rehab. I have full range of motion side to side and extending my foot down. Raising my foot (dorsiflex) I can do 7-8 degrees versus 12 degrees in the uninjured leg. So, I feel pretty good about the progress. My Dr's plan has always been the more agressive apporach - I was in a cast only 5 days, after 7 days in a splint.

The first few days walking without the boot, my lower leg would swell some, and my heel gets a lil sore. But, that is to be expected. After a little elevation and ice, all feels pretty good again. Like some of the others, I have been working out some on a stationary bike, along with all the ROM drills and exercising the upper legs and hips (to get used to walking again).

I will do a couple more weeks of rehab with part of the plan during this time to train me to continue the rehab on my own, which at this point should be pretty easy to do. Plus, I am in the process of moving south and starting a new job on Oct 1. Looking forward to an earlier spring and getting back on the horse!

• Baller
I had the procedure about 4 yrs ago. Be patient and continue rehab even when you might think you feel fine. Its very important to keep it up to prevent scar tissue and adhesions to form. If you don't you may very well find after initial improvement, months later you start going downhill in your recovery. Keep up with your PT and in a year or so you should feel like it never happenned.

• Baller

@BobS I do not recall any numbness. How is your wife comomg along?

Make sure she wiggles her toes frequently throughout the day. My Doctor emphasized this, particularly early on. It helps keep the circulation going, and with the leg elevated and with frequent ice packs (20 minute intervals) does wonders to keep swelling down and maintain feeling.

• Baller

@BobS FYI I am now 9 weeks post-op and walking with a little gimp and I go back to work in a week. The first 4 weeks are the biggest PITA, but things start looking up after that. My PT has been excellent - doing lots of leg exercises with lots of emphasis on doing one leg drills. At this point I already feel as if my balance and stability is almost right there with the uninjured leg.

Keep her positive and stay in touch with the doctor if anything doesn't feel right.

• Baller

If you are injured skiing in a tournament then you should file a medical claim with USA Waterski. It should pay any out of pocket for the co-pay or meeting your deductible.

If you were injured skiing behind your own boat then file a claim with your boat insurance company. You will find the Medical coverage is usually up to $5,000 and included on most policies. My Boat US policy covers $5,000 for non-family and $25,000 for family medical. Boat US is fantastic.

When I had my surgery, doctor told me the might be some numbness in areas from the nerves that may be cut. I never had numbness. He told me if I did the feeling would come back.

I walk with a limp and can not lift my heal off the ground. Not strong enough yet. I was able to ride my bike 1 miles yesterday. Felt good.

I'm 9 weeks post op. I have been walking without crutches with the boot for 2 weeks. Great to be free of crutches. I take the boot off at home and walk without it. The swelling is starting to come down now that I have been walking on it more. Range of motion while walking is very limited and I've noticed just a little improvement there. I've got to say that my wound is still experiencing that raw wound burn feel off and on. Mostly off but still there. Next week at 10 weeks and two days I'm to see the surgeon and should get permission to go into a sneaker. My PT told me to order heel lifts which I've done.

For PT I'm doing rubber band work with foot motions in all four directions, heel toe raises, easy calf raises with the good leg doing most of the work, walking on a treadmill and some bike work. I can balance pretty well on one foot. It's hard to believe it's been 9 weeks now. It's clear that it's going to take a while more to feel strong to walk good and be confident that you are past the point of re-injuring yourself by just stepping on something or walking in a rut. I plan on using some type of ankle brace in the beginning if it looks like it will help and fit good in the sneaker.

@bobs I didn't experience any numbness either and remember Claudia telling me that at the tournament. How is she doing? It's about a month now?

My Best to everyone!

• Baller

Well, I am going back to work next week. Going back to work also includes a transfer to south Georgia. So, I will be leaving the good care I had from my surgeon and physical therapist.

Like the others, I have been working diligently with my PT sessions and some additional workouts in between. At 10 weeks post-op I now have normal ROM in all 4 directions, can walk down stairs with an almost normal step, and can walk slowly with little noticeable limp. So, I can say I have been very fortunate that my surgery went well, my healing went well, and my rehab has gone very well.

I had my final session with PT today. Over the last couple sessions I was able to do multiple 60 second sets standing on a BOSU ball with one leg, with each leg. And several other balance/stability exercises. It still is not as easy to do some of these with the healing leg, but getting closer all the time. To keep the progress going, and to continue developing leg strength and overall physical conditioning I will join a health club in south Georgia.

Now I look forward to the rest of the "off-season" to get back in shape and look forward to the March time frame to get back on the water!

As for avoiding a similar injury I am leaning toward trying out either the new Strada double boots or the new Reflex hardshell front boot/binding with the R-Style rear. I am also open to any comments or recommendations here.

To all the others with the ATR - I'm sorry you have experienced this PITA injury and I wish you all the best in your recovery and for getting back on the water! I'll continue to check in here occassionly to monitor everyone's progress.

I am 11 weeks post op and I have been walking around without the boot at home for 5 weeks. Last week surgeon said I can start going out without the boot. I'm fitted with a millimeter heel lift for my sneakers. My PT is going to have me remove one mil per week. Doing PT everyday mostly calf raises and assorted calf related exercises. Going to gym for cycling, treadmill and weight training. Calf/Achilles strength is real weak and my range of motion is improving very slowly. I can walk without a limp if I walk slowly and really concentrate. Getting better with single leg balancing. Swelling is slowly going away in most of the foot, but still prominent around the incision. I still feel that raw wound feeling at times. Outside incision is almost closed up. During calf raises the good leg does most of the work. Can't really push off with bad foot when walking or climbing stairs. How are the rest of you guys progressing in the strength department?

MikeT, To give yourself a gauge of progress, with a scale and your ball of injured foot put pressure on scale until your anle gives or it hurts. Read the weight. That is the weight you can support. Example: I weight 175. I can support 60 lbs on injured foot. Last week it was 50lbs. I'm 14 weeks post op.

If I could loose 115lbs I would be 100 %, instead I'm 30%.

Interesting. So if I understand you I place my foot on the scale with basically half on and half off the front of the scale and I see how much weight I can hold? If done correctly I could hold about 80lbs and I weigh 190. Am I doing it correctly.

• Baller

Glad to see the progress guys! Though I am back to work, as with you guys I still have a long way to go. In fact, after two weeks back to work, I feel like its 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Though I was feeling very good walking when I was at home, being up and about all day without the opportunity to get horizontal once in a while and ice the ankle, I'm feeling sore by days end. Guess that is just to be expected.

I'll have to try the scale trick. Like Mike said, when I to calf raises I have to really concentrate to have the injured leg almost do its share.

I need to get my butt to the gym!

• Baller

How fortunate am I to have found this site with your discussions!!! I'm 58 and have been an avid skier for 40 years. And I plan on skiing until my heart stops. I tweaked my achilles during a run in late August. I took it easy and iced it as prescribed by the orthopedic for several weeks. Just when it was feeling much better, I stepped wrong the first week of October and I felt, and heard, that infamous "achilles snap". I had corrective surgery Oct 11 and got the stitches out just yesterday. The Dr put me in a boot and I'm starting PT next week. I'll continue reading the forums on Ballofspray as I try and figure out the best course of rehab for me. Every time you talk to a Dr you understand the statement that Dr's "practice" medicine....haha. So, I know it's up to me to drive my own rehab. Thanks for all your comments on this post. If you guys don't mind, I'll share my rehab here and will continue to appreciate anything you guys share.

Kerr Lake Lover in Wake Forest, NC (otherwise known as Larry)

• Baller

Larry - so sorry to hear your bad news, we really hate to welcome "new members" to our club.

It sounds like you have a good Dr in that he is pushing you along on an agggressive program and getting you to PT early. Mine did as well and I think it was beneficial. Follow the program your Dr and PT give and don't overdo it. I just past 3 months post surgery and my limp is usually only a lil noticeable. I feel pretty good and now need to keep up the PT exercises and start on my off season exercises to be ready for spring. Good luck with everything and hang in there. In a couple months you should be feeling much better!

Larry,

See if your doctor will get you a aircast Cyro cuff to ice your ankle. Insurance might cover it. If insurance doesn't cover it you can find them on eBay. I bought the one that has a motor that pumps water in/out.

If you can keep swelling down it will help a lot! I still use mine after 3 months when I finish biking or rehab. Worth the money I think.

Progress will be slow, so when you think you are not progressing think back 2 weeks ago and remember how hard it was just to balance on one foot.

Look at my past post about using a scale to find your weight you ankle can take. I found that useful to let me know you are getting stronger.

Good luck.

Jon Tate.

• Baller

Thanks Zman and T8skier!!! I'll check into the scale to monitor my progress. I guess I'm fortunate, but my swelling is very minimal. The PT informed me that while my Dr got me started PT early, he is still conservative. I'm ok with that, but in my discussion with the PT, the only thing I felt that might be more conservative than I'd like is wearing this nasty boot for 5-8 more weeks (mainly having to be taxi'd around by my wife). He was impressed with my range of motion already and gave me the basic ROM activities. IT FELT SO GOOD TO MOVE MY FOOT! He warned me not to push the ROM activities too much because I could very easily pull the achilles repair apart....right now it is all about letting the tissue heal and grow back together. More to come. Thanks again!

Larry Matthews

• Baller

@kerrlakelover - that boot was a big PITA, but at the same time a great tool to start walking again. The worse part was trying to sleep in that clunker. If you have the same issue, have the doc prescribe some anti-anxiety pills (I will have to check for the name). I only used mine a few times when I really need a night where I could sleep all the way through - and boy did I!

I think one of the guys in our lil club here had his Dr. prescribe a smaller boot just for sleeping.

• Baller
Two Tylenol PMs work pretty well for me T8skier :-). 3 weeks and 3 days since surgery now. Been doing my ROM since Monday and I really feel that I'm making progress with little to no pain still. I can certainly tell that my ROM is improving. Side to side and poing toes down were not much of a challenge. Of course, the biggest challenge is pulling my toes/foot up and stretching the achilles. It's not really painful, but I can for sure tell when it's stretched to the max. Back to the therapists tomorrow morning and we will see how he thinks I've progressed.

I am at the end of my first post op week. Will get boot and lots of exercise beginning in a week. Surgeon wants me walking on boot with 10% weight at that point. Will take rehab very seriously. I hope to be able to do some light snow skiing by feb or march.

Tuna, Lake Placid.

• Baller
@tuna - You should be able to be skiing by March, as long as you are not a telemarker. Downhill ski boots work much like a cast with regards to an achllies injury. A few years back, I ruptured my achilles, had surgery in the middle of October, and started skiing in the middle of February. Although I did stay out of the bumps, I skied lots of steeps and powder.

• Baller

@Marco - based on my experience and how I feel now being 3-1/2 months post-op, I could be snow skiing in a couple weeks and feel pretty comfortable. That might be a good way to get my "ski legs" under me again before getting back to waterskiing in the spring.

Question - I saw on another thread that you have been on the Reflex front for a while now, I guess sonce your ATR recovery? Do you feel this boot set up is one of your best bets against a similar injury - AND, good for your skiing too?

My second choice I am leaning towards is a pair of Strada boots.

Zman

• Baller

@Zman - Glad to hear you'll be ready to ski soon. Don't over do it at first. By the middle of the season you should be back in full action.

As far as the Reflex, that was the binding I was wearing when I ruptured my Achilles, but no binding would have helped me in this instance. I hit 2 ball at the apex of my turn at -38, and the ski ski went airborne and when it hit the water, still on edge, it stopped cold and that is when the injury occurred. I wouild have had to release straight down through the bottom of the ski to prevent the injury, and obviously, no binding will do that. I do feel comfortable skiing with the Reflex, but as is often stated here, no binding system is 100% safe.

Dear Marco and Zman: Yes I ruptured the achilles while skiing on Lake Placid 10/28, and had the repair surgery on 10/30. I had been skiing in Florida with my friend and instructor Lucky Lowe for 2 weeks before the accident. Great experience, with no problems in 80 degree water). Got home and one of my friends who really needed to ski asked me if I wanted to go. So I got in the cold Lake Placid water (50), with a dry suit, burried the tip, went over the front head first. The binding released but not soon enough. I get the stitches out on Monday (11/12), and then the boot. I appreciate the supportive comments. I am 68 and started water skiing when I was 50, and love it. The tendons are probably not what they were when I was 30! Anyway, I have been thru a quad tendon repair that probably started with snow skiing so I know it is a lengthy battle to recovery. The other leg is now perfect...so I know I will get there. Thanks for the comments....I appreciate it. Tuna, Lake Placid, NY

@tuna I'm sorry to hear about your rupture. stay focused on your rehab and it will come along slow but sure. You have an aggressive surgeon. some of us were in a cast for 6 weeks then a boot. I know someone who was weight bearing after 12 days. My PT says it's great to start early but your achilles is very vunerable for a about 6-8 weeks. he showed me MRI pictures of an achilles tear at many stages up to 6 months and it was very revealing to see it from that level. it showed graphically that it does take 6-8 weeks to get past the re-tear danger zone. I wish I could have started PT earlier but I feel I got a good healing period nonetheless. so good luck to you

@zman I'm 7-10 days behind you and I'm wondering how your strenght is? What excercises do you do the most? For me I'm walking better but still not with full ROM to take a full step at normal speed. I can get full ROM while walking slowly. Still seems to be very weak. I'm doing lots of toe raises with both legs and on one leg with help, but can't begin to come close to lifting off with one leg. Can you give me some detail of how much you can do with toe raises?

@kerrylakelover- if you haven't solved your sleeping with the boot problem, my surgeon made up a sleeping splint for me which was just a casted shape of the bottom half of my leg and foot from the calf down to the foot. I would place it on the back of my leg and foot and then apply it with an ace bandage. It was so much more comfortable to sleep with instead of the boot

• Baller

@MikeT Unfortunately I have been exercising the ankle a little less since being busy with my move and new job. (I'll see if I can come up with a few more lame excuses, lol). But, good news is that most days I walk pretty good - like you, better when walking a comfortable pace, not as good if I walk too fast. I have been using stretch bands some for resistance, extending the foot downward and sideways. And, I do some toe raises as well. Not yet able to raise full body weight with just the injured leg. So, instead I will do toe raises with both then lower my weight with all weight on the injured leg. I can resist enough to lower myself slowly but can not hold the raised position (and maybe shouldn't yet).

I need to go back and read the post by T8skier about using a scale to measure progress.

Sounds like we may be pretty close with our progress.

Some of the PT exercises I thought were good included standing on one leg with about 8 red solo cups, lower your body by squatting on the one leg and bending over to set one cup at a time on the floor. Stand straight up after each cup and repeat. After all 8 are on the floor out in front of you, pick each one up the same way you set them down and one at a time. If you have a Bosu ball, stand on one foot on the Bosu (round side up) for 60 seconds, three sets on each foot.

Another good one to help with ROM, step backwards up 2 or 3 steps leading each step with the same leg, then back down leading with same leg for each step. 3 sets of 10. Then repeat leading with the other leg. You can also do sets sets with each leg going up steps forward. Be sure to step as normally as possible. You should feel some stretch but not significant pain. These should not be too difficult by now, but maybe not 100% "normal".

Today I can put a max of 90 lbs on the scale. Been riding my bike 20 miles 2/3 days a week.

Still limp. I can walk normal for a short period, tendon gets sore so I go back to the Memphis strut.

It's funny how we discuss or injury like a new born. We all know exactly how long since surgery. My 4 month post op is Wednesday. My goal is to be able to get my heal off ground at 6 months mark.