PCM GT-40 issues

Justin_C

• Baller

My problem is that my engine is bogging down when I get up to speed. After talking to a mechanic and doing some research online, I see it is a common problem and the easiest fix may be a fuel filter. Another option was to have the injectors cleaned. My question is more, would this contribute to the engine running what would seem to be abnormally high rpms? I was running it at around 32-36mph and then rpms were up at ~4000. If this doesn't sound like the fuel problem, what could it be? Or is there a simple adjustment that can be made?

Thanks

change the fuel filter and make sure the electrical connector on top of the pump is tight. take the drain plug out of the filter housing and use a screw driver to keep filter from spinning while you spin housing back on. the other issue that happens is the check ball on the outlet on the tank will get stuck. you will be able to tell if when you go to siphon the bad gas out of the tank, Then buy good gas, I had to do all these things but in over 1700hrs I never touched the injectors

Plug wires Cap and Rotor, vacuum leak, fuel filter(delivery) when injectors go bad they go bad, but a couple cans of injector cleaner wouldn't hurt. Having them cleaned professionally would probably cost more than buying some on ebay. Are they the light blue ones, if so they are 24lb injectors.

We get lots of weeds on our prop and stargazer will run at 4k rpms to pull the right speed, so anything weird like that can cause the boat to run at a higher rpm to achieve the same speed

spuddering is usually loss of spark power, engine timing, loss of fuel delivery, or a vacuum leak.

Good Luck

• Baller

I would not go to the effort of draining the tank before changing the filter.

What boat make & model? If you are draining the tank, make sure and remove the anti-siphon valve from out-line on fuel tank and de-gunk it with carb & choke cleaner.

• Baller
Listen to JayG80. You would be surprised at how many fueling issues can be caused by a stuck anti siphon valve. I saw a brand new PCM Ex343 that would bog down this year. When the anti siphon valve was pulled, you immediately heard the woosh from the tank purging.

• Baller
Thank you for all your suggestions. The boat is running again... well was running again... other issues this time. We replaced the fuel filter, cleaned out and incredibly clogged anti-siphon tube (not the valve but the screen at the end of the tube; in fact the fuel that was in the tube wouldn't even drain out the screen filter when we took it off), and cleaned out the flame arrestor. Now to deal with a hole in the oil pan...