Knotless Ropes?

jwroblew

• Baller
Several club members are "stretching" ML knotless ropes right now for Nationals (including me). First, I have to say that I don't think these ropes need any pre-stretching as they feel fine right out of the box. Had to ski 15 and 22 off which I don't normally ever ski, but we want a consistant set of ropes for the event. The knotless design seems ok; you just have to get used to pulling the line out of the braid far enough to put the loop on the pylon (or take it off). If you do this a lot, you will soon learn to put the side you pull out on the same side of the pylon everytime to make things easier on you. They take a moment longer to change loops, but as pointed out above, they pretty much can't come off during the run.

• Baller
I guess I don't get what all the "buzz" is about the knotless design. By breaking loose the loops on the deluxe or pro ML mainlines, putting both colors over the pylon and snugging it up, you can secure the rope nicely. Over the past 10 years, we've averaged 1500 pulls per season (approx 15,000 total) and never had the rope come off the pylon. And, if you have a Malibu with the oversized cue ball on top of the pylon, you really shouldn't have an issue.

• Baller
@tfriess - I have no experience w/ US Gear but I have heard they make a nice product. Take a look at the 5 Regionals around the country, Nationals, Malibu Pro event, Masters, Big Dawg events, etc. They all use Masterline. I've used the same 3 ML ropes for the past 6 records we have hosted. They measure dead-on.

• Baller
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone notice a bungee cord like feeling with the knotless ropes? skied on one the other day that felt really really elastic. I think it was just this particular rope but was curious if anyone else has had that.

• Baller
@skier2788: In order to remove that "Bungee" effect from any New rope, you need to pre-stretch it before use. I hook one end to a strap around a tree and the other to a bumper hitch and stretch it for at least a 2 hour period. Even after that you may feel a slight bungee effect for the first two sets, It's always gone sfter that.

• Baller
I don't feel a bungee effect even on the first pass on a new ML knotless. However, since I'm "stretching" these for Nationals, I'm going out at 15 off instead of my usual 28 off start so I may just not be used to what 15 off feels like. I don't think there is much stretch to these ropes personally...

• Baller
Everyone I ski with (no matter how many times you show them) has trouble seperating the loops on a regular line and getting it back over the pylon correctly. I don't know why - they just can't get it. The knotless line helps.

• Baller
The knot less rope and the loop for shorten the role are 2 different features. Brenda (Intow) came out with the knot less design several years before ML or US gear. She also makes a smaller loop on her ropes that just fits over the pylon. This is very secure and very easy to shorten. She makes a slightly larger loop to accommodate the Malibu pylon.