How is the score calculated for Overall

kfennell

I guess that the scores are something to do with your relationship to the current WR or yearly best score or something, but I don't know where to go from there. Does anyone have a chart or document that can help me understand overall scores?

Thanks

• Baller
@kfennell In each age group, there is a record score, and a median score in each event. The record score is equal to 1500 NOPS the median score is worth 500 NOPS. Go to usa waterski home page and and click the 3-event tab. On the left go to the scoring section and you can download the current year NOPS excell calculator. It will change each year.

Thanks, that makes it easy. Looking at ~ 592 overall based on practice scores. Puts me solidly in 38th out of 44 baased on practice scores. Better start working on jump and trick more. They definately have it set up to not reward terrible jumps!

• Supporting Member

I don't really care about overall, but the mathemetician in me can't help asking: Is it just linear in between the median and record? I'm guessing it's not, for several reasons, not least of which is that negative scores would then be possible, which seem quite undesirable.

I'm thinking I'd probably fit it to a sigmoid (aka S curve) so that no score would ever go below zero. But a sigmoid also would level off at extremely high scores, which perhaps is undesirable as well? Or maybe that's exactly what you want for overall: skiers reach a point where improving in a specialization is not worth it compared to more breadth??

Anyhow, a pointer to the math would save everybody else having to read my babbling...

• Baller
@kfennell if you are going to work on one thing you should work on jump as it is much more heavily weighted than tricks in the overall scores. At Regionals last week my son tied another skier in slalom, my son beat the other skier in tricks by 880 points and the other boy beat my son by 28 feet in jump and my son finished behind in overall by 50 NOPS points.

It is definately skewed differently between the different events and how hard it is to get more points in each. For example to get 100 more overall points from the average score in M2 you would need the following:

Slalom 5 balls

Trick 540!!! points

Jump 13 feet

As such I will make the most improvement the fastest by jumping where if I practiced all day every day until nationals 2013 I would be lucky to add 200 points to my overall score from trick. Currently slaloming ~2@-22, trick 230 and jump 35 :) you can tell which ones I just started doing this month

• Supporting Member

Thanks @klindy! Wow, that rule 5.03 is pretty bizarre. My initial impression of the fact that the exponent changes from year to year to best fit some fairly arbitrary points is: That is batty.

Large exponents get very out of control outside of the fit range, and can even take on really weird shapes inside the fit range.

Oh wait, I said I wasn't going to babble about this after I got the link. Darn!

I made some graphs of the scores for M2 and how they convert to overall. So it looks like scores above average in Slalom, below average in trick, and any score in jump are the most effective ways to earn points. I think this will hold true for all divisions unless the averages for slalom is less then half the record, or tricks if the average is over half. The graphs are in order of jump, slalom and trick.

Further details, the closer the slalom median is to the record, the more important it is to be above it, and the lower the median trick is compared to the record the more important it is to be at it, and less important it is to be above it.

I also just realized that the reason that the jump score line is straight is that the median is so close to half the record, so I checked some other divisions and most of them are pretty close to being a straight line, younger divisions are more like trick where you want to be right at the average for max rate of return, and MM is more like slalom where small improvements above the average is important.

• Baller

@shaneH Did you make that last comment as the guy standing on shore looking for a crash? If I am not mistaken, kfennell recently posted that he was just STARTING to jump. I am not sure that even Jimmy can take a beginner to 135/150 in a year. And if they do, they most likely won't be jumping for long before they do crash and tear up a knee.

Beginner to 135/150 in a year. If it was that easy, they would call it wakeboarding