Costa Rica vs Acapulco for Vacation

Not_The_Pug

• Baller

My wife is looking at both trips for next early spring for a vacation/water ski trip. I think she is leaning towards Costa Rica due to other activities in the area.

Can anyone that has been to both resort give some feed back on plus/minus of each?

We read Horton's review on Costa Rica, I think that got Steph leaning towards that one.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Baller

Kevin I can only comment on Acapulco, but it is top notch. Everything from the accomdations, food and skiing. The only real draw back is the villa is not walking distance to much. However the drivers will gladly take you to other attractions like the beach. I had a blast and can't wait to go back someday .

I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

• Baller

@jimbrake, we both like the beach. Her more relaxing and reading a book on the lounge chair. Me more surfing/body boarding or other activities, I don't sit still well, even on vacation.

I think she likes the idea of other things to do besides just skiing. So based on @horton review, she liked the idea of Costa Rica.

• Baller
I can only speak for Acapulco but it was awesome!! Went there in 2008, my wife and I still keep in contact with those that were there when we went. You will make great friends that last a lifetime. The food was awesome and the coaches great! You won't be disappointed. Gordon has now been promoting some of the other things to do around the area as well. We went to downtown Acapulco and swam with dolphins one evening too. Had a blast!!!

• Baller

Been to Acapulco a half dozen times years ago and Costa Rica once. I thought Acapulco was better in the old days when you drove north of town and skied out of Tres Marias on the river (can't remember the name of the river/lagoon). After skiing, you would stop by Aldegundo's island for some red snapper tacos and moonshine mezcal, then drive back to Acapulco and check out the town, go bungee jumping, etc. Nowdays, you are kind of stuck at the palapa all day (not a bad place to be stuck), but there is not as much interaction with "old Mexico". Coaching, food and accomodations are top notch.

Costa Rica is a much different experience. Skiing is only part of the overall vacation. We went white water rafting, zip lining, on a jungle cruise along the Nicaraguan border, etc, all in the afternoons after a morning of skiing. To round it out, after we were done with ski camp, we booked a place on the beach in Tamarindo and hung out and surfed for a few days before going home.

In a nutshell, you can't go wrong with either place. Acapulco is focused purely on skiing, and the coaching and accomodations are great. Costa Rica is way more beautiful, and there are a lot of other activities other than skiing. You'll have fun in either place.

• Baller
@igkya- I wish I could remember the mezcal...it led to all sorts of crazy stories that I can't tell here. It also lead to lots of crazy bungy jumping adventures, and one year (pre 911) I snuck several gallons back home in my ski bag. I felt like the guy in Midnight Express when I was coming back through customs. (If any customs inspectors are reading this, I am probably only kidding;). Or not...you decide.