Opinion on Okeeheelee?

cwillygood

• Baller

okeeheelee is a great site, deep water, still, as long as a strom doesn't blow thru. I have always had great scores there. However I have skied in a few rain stroms too! Had my best performance in white caps! LOL !!! 3@39

• Baller
Webbdawg, the Main lake skis great, but I don't think Turnpike is much worst. It may be that Turnpike is narrower and a little tighter on the ends, but not short by any stretch. Also the crowds will be on the Main lake.

• Baller
We have a number of locals that prefer the turnpike lake. For me, I can't tell one lake from the other in terms of feel. If you get here soon enough before you ski, take a practice set on lake 5 (the practice lake) to get a feel for the water speed.

• Supporting Member

@cwillygood Just to give a different perspective: Although I haven't been there in several years, in the past I have found it very hard to ski there. Coming from Cochituate, the water at Okeeheelee feels slower than slow. And my style isn't very conducive to slow water -- I feel like I have to put in a monumental effort to get wide even on easier line lengths. I think I would need several practice sets and probably some setup changes to really feel comfortable there.

The good news is that your home site might be the slowest site around here, so your adjustment might be a little less than mine.

Or you might just love it like everyone else seems to! :-)

• Baller
As for water temp, I checked today when I got there (we have a pool thermometer on the main lake starting dock). 88 degrees. It has touched 90 a couple of times this Summer, but we have had a good rainy season (for a change) and it has kept the water in the mid to upper 80s all Summer. We are starting pulling practice tomorrow. All lakes have had the buoys changed out and surveyed to += .5" as of today. Come ski and enjoy!