RIP Dana Reed

ForrestGump

• Baller
Dana Reed, the founder of Pro Slalom Event's LLC and organizer of events such as the Malibu Open, passed away last night. Dana had been suffering from the effects of Mesothelioma, I believe, and had spent a good bit of the last year in and out of the hospital sometimes for months at a time. I know that a lot of pro and elite skiers were close to Dana. He will be greatly missed by all.

I will miss Dana. He was an awesome driver and teacher. He came to one of our record tournaments 2 days early and taught me how to set the boats up for maximum slalom performance. He them spent the next day helping our drivers learn to drive a good path and give the skier a great pull. He was a great person and will be missed.

Johnny Seiler

• Baller

Tear it up, use it all up...every last drop like there is no tomorrow, don't waste a minute without moving forward, don't slow down. You will never know when the time comes when you can't or won't be able to do the afore mentioned; it may be tomorrow.

Dana was a close friend of our Club/ Lake owners Ed and Clay Neill; so he (and his two or three dogs) were frequent visitors at Little Mountain Lake #2. He was always willing to offer up advice and converse about skiing as well as many other subjects. He will be missed.

• Baller

I got to know Dana over the last year doing the webcast for the Malibu Open and putting together the Katy Ski Jam. He was a truly class act giving it all to the sport and asking nothing in return. Prayers for Dana and his family.

Here is the video of the WaterSki Magazine Awards Dinner from last week where Dana was named the Ambassador of the year. Dana's presentation starts at 8:00.

http://new.livestream.com/EGL/BigDawgTexas/videos/2460119

• Baller
This is tough to hear, but glad he is not suffering anymore. This man was a great asset to our sport and person who would help anyone of us anytime. I was grateful for his help when we hosted 2 Big Dawg tournaments. He would always take my calls and give advice. He was a class act and our sport will suffer his loss for a long time. Pushing pro skiing forward and back into the limelight was his passion. We should all do what we can to help keep his vision moving forward.

• Administrators

Dana Brett Reed, 56 of Hickory died Monday, August 13, 2012 at his residence. Born November 18, 1955 he was the son of Robert Henry Reed of Hickory and Mary Ann Frye Oliver of Hickory.

Dana was a member of the Hickory Choral Society for 15 years. He was the owner and operator of Reed’s Cleaning Service and Pro Slalom Events, which planned events for Pro Ski tournaments.

In addition to his wife of 33 years, Deborah Lillian Medford Reed of the home; his parents, Robert Reed and wife Gerri of Hickory and mother, Mary Oliver of Hickory; a daughter, Jessica Reed of Charleston, SC; a son, Brett Reed of Newton; two brothers, Robert Reed, Jr. of Pecosa, VA and Kyle Reed of Morganton survive him.

A Celebration of Dana’s Life will be 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at Corinth Reformed United Church of Christ in Hickory. The Rev. Bob Thompson will officiate.

The family will receive friends immediately following the ceremony at the church.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to The Hickory Choral Society, 243 3rd Ave. NE Suite 2N Hickory, NC 28601.

Please sign the online guestbook at www.JenkinsFuneralHome.net. The Reed family has entrusted arrangements to Jenkins Funeral Home in Newton.