Reflex R Type

Nando

• Baller
Anyone skiing with a Reflex R Type rear boot? It looks kind of appealing- a little more flexibility than a standard rear binding but much more secure than a strap. I've been on double boots for years and can't see going back to a toe strap, but this looks interesting. Going to try a hard shell system and I think it's either this or Jaeger's E boots. Tried some Stradas on and they felt pretty good, too. Advice?

• Baller

Love the R style. I was on Powershells for years until I broke my ankle. Went to Strada's for a season, but really wanted something stiffer. I had wanted to go to Reflex for the release, but had not pulled the trigger b/c I didn't want to go back to a rubber rear. When the R style came out I jumped on it. I really like it and have no plans on even trying anything else.

As an aside, I have had several releases where I believe the Reflex release saved my ankle. (vs. my old Powershells)

• Baller

Of course there is no way to answer that.

In "my" case the fall that has gotten me in the past is a big unload into my toe side with the tip biting and and a big OTF. In THAT situation the majority of the pull comes on your front ankle. The "both in" systems release more from back foot pull and aren't as sensitive to this type of fall. I have had a grade III ankle sprain and a broken ankle from this over the years on powershells.

Maybe the type of binding you choose should depend on your most common type of fall??? As always, no system is all bad or perfectly safe. Plenty of power shell users have no problems and guys have torn stuff up in Reflex. You mileage may vary. Just giving my experience.

• Baller

I Have the r style as well and really like it. What I like best is the reflex front boot. It's comfortable, feet never cramp and I have had a number of OTFs where I thought this is going to hurt and then I hear a loud click and I find my self in the water looking for my ski pain free. So far no injuries and I'm on my third or fourth year. A number of people have been hurt with the reflex boot on this board, Horton is one of them.... I think he might have been a dealer at one time... Could be wrong on that.

Here is what I don't like. I got mine used. I think it was one of the first attempts at the R style and it uses three bolts drilled into the reflex carbon plate. The guy I got it from had the back boot 1.5" from the front and severely rotated. Every time I want to adjust I have to drill new holes. I'm not that kinda guy. I would rather buy something already drilled. But cuz I like the system so much I'm forced to drill and tinker. Really, I can't imagine using anything else other then maybe the Radar Strada boots. Hope that helps

• Baller
Now I see the Reflex R rear boot on Seth's web site. But, are they still being made? I did not see them on the Reflex web site. If you were buying new, would you consider the 2012 system, 2 boots with the white cuff?

• Baller
@zman actually they have GREAT customer service. Recently needed to replace the foam backing on the back of my carbon plate. They sent it to me no charge. Always willing to answer questions and have good selection.

• Baller
@bhs You read my mind! I skied a couple days with Seth this spring and had also thought he would be great to consult with about the Reflex. And, purchase from him if that is the way I go. Maybe even go try a few set ups with him next spring after I get my ski legs under me again.

• Baller

@Horton John, do you have any info from your experience with Reflex? If so, would that be even fair comparison to what the current Reflex designs are?

I'm looking for protection from stuffing the tip on my off-side (to go along with me correcting that stupid tendency).

• Baller

@Zman Horton busted his ankle in a reflex some years back.

As for the RStyle I think it is a good mix if you want hard shell rear control with a more RTP feel. I personally ride a reflex front and RTP and lace the set up. I would like to try the RStyle at some point. I know people that love it.

• Baller

@MattP Thanks for the info. Maybe this spring I run over to Seth's place and try the Reflex double boot set up and the single boot with R Style rear and see what I like best.

Still would be curious if John thought the boot was a factor - or just one of those situations that happen.

I really like the idea of my front foot being able to release if it needs to.

• Baller
@bhs Thanks. I will be focusing on the Radar Strada boots and the Reflex options as next season approaches. Would love to also hear from @Horton regarding his thoughts comparing the two, performanca and particularly the safety.

• Administrators

@Zman @MattP that is not exactly true. I was hurt in a binding similar to Reflex. I do not think there were any parts on the binding that actually came from Reflex.

The pros love the reflex system. As an old guy with a really bad ankle I use something else.

• Baller
I have been using the reflex front and r-style back for the last year. Before that skied with double goode PS for many years. Needed a couple months to adapt as it feels harder than PS, but after many hard falls and OTFs I am very happy with them. I would like to say also that the double PS in my opinion is a fine and safe system, at least for me, the problem is the dual lock, you never know how it will release.

• Baller

@Horton @Alberto Thanks for the info guys.

I even think my old Animals would have given me better odds of not having the ATR. But, the new one I was using when it happened just seemed to really lock on my front heal, which seemed sort of odd for a rubber boot. So, I have not ruled them out altogether. I skied safe in Animals for about 10 years, including earlier years where OTF's and stuffing the tip was a little more common occurence.

• Baller_
Zman, what Animal are you specifically referring to (I think year should detail the specifics of the binding) as I use Animals and am considering updating to the newer overlay to stiffen the sides of the binding and also thinking of the Reflex as an alternative. Thanks.

• Baller
Yea, I was planning on buying a new boot and liner for my older 404 setup. From Reflex, I would have had to flip the rear tab to get it to work. With Masterline, the boots don't have the tab on them yet so it will will be set up from ML to work on the older 404 release and it was much less than Reflex.

• Baller

Can you pivot the rear R style boot?

When I switched to a Reflex a number of years ago, I was told (by Remi I think), that it was not a good idea to have the Silveretta release on the back foot also, due to the dangers of a 1 in 1 out type of fall, so I still ski on a rubber back boot. Very interested in the R style though.

• Baller

@DW I believe the Animal front boot I was using that hugged my heal very tight is a 2010 model.

Before that I was using the old red, white and black Animal boot, a 2005 model. The older boot would always give some. In an OTF I almost always came right out. In the very few times I did not, my foot at least came part way out.

• Baller

@teammalibu - Hey Mike, please keep me posted on how your like the R Style set up. I have always used a double boot to keep my rear heal from angling off the side of the ski. Wondering if the R Style will hold my rear foot straight.

Have you ever used the Radar Strada or RS-1 boots?

• Baller

@Marco, a second to @MattP, the plate definitely has some pivot adjustment, the binding itself I am not sure.

I am on my second season with the Reflex front/r-style rear. Happy with them both, very comfortable and confident on releases.

On the r-style I 86'd the stock liner, I bought the short silver liner, punched holes, and laced a bungee. I got the idea from someone that had one advertised on SIA. I crank the bungee, but run r-style buckles loose, obtaining the snugness and comfort of a hard shell and the release characteristics of a toe loop.

Won't lie, first time trying to get up on them I fell...true story. Took a 2 sets to get used them fore and aft.

Myles

• Baller
I am on the reflex with the r-style rear boot. went from older animals. i have had several nasty falls and no problems. absolutely love the set up and trust it completely. seth did the set up for me. the way mine is done, you cant angle the rear plate, dont know if you could with another plate. call seth he would be happy to talk about it, and recommend something else if it isnt right for you. no better customer service around.