Skis for Kids

DanEla

My 8 year-old daughter (60 pounds) is in need of a ski upgrade -- she's currently on her combo slalom and just starting to get into the course @ 18 mph. Any thoughts on the following options? (listed from highest to lowest price)

1) 2008 D3 RCX 64"

2) 2011 Connelly V 65"

3) 2010 HO Couture 65"

4) 2009 HO Revolt 63.5" (Monza mold)

Any other suggestions would be welcome also.

• Baller
I was waiting for someone with more knowlledge than me to chip in but any of those skis would work right now. I might lean toward the D3 depending on the price delta because it will grow with your daughter for a long time.

Thanks all for the input. I really like the sounds of the 62" A1. The only thing I'm worried about is the possibility of it not having enough surface area for her right now because she's still under 20 mph (60 lbs). My theory is to oversize the length while she is skiing slow and then upgrade to a shorter ski when she's skiing faster. I am hesitant to go with a wide ski because the increased jolt at the wake may give her "wake phobia" but I'm really just guessing about that. However, I would like to go with the 62" right off the bat if my surface area concerns are unfounded. Any other thoughts about the length/width issue for slow boat speeds?

• Baller
Dan, the Jr A1 has a more volume than other 62" skis. It will be plenty big. You are right about a wide ski bouncing more; way more. The other thing is that she will progress faster than you think and get the boat speed up. If you get one, I have some good setup numbers to start with.

What are yawl using for binders? My girl (11 years old & 60 lbs) started skiing this year on a 67" theory with old Obrien Targa bindings in adult size large. I'm thinking she may need something smaller :) I've a Grifter to put her on but need bindings for it.

@ctsmith I'm thinking of going with Wileys double boot CBO midwraps. They come in XXS (size 4-6) according to their website. I think Wileys are a nice combination of safety, performance, and price. I hear great things about D3 and Radar boots also.

• Baller
Wiley's makes Jr bindings. Get them. The horseshoe is narrower than the adult bindings. As the kid grows, you can simply move the horseshoes apart with the holes provided. I did have to do some modifications to get the rear foot close enough to the front.

• Baller
I've got a new slalomer in the family (nephew) and will probably start with a ski the kids can share as his sister and my two boys will be right behind him. Is 62' the right size for an 8 year old? I think he's 70 lbs. Not many options under 60"