Skiing 35 or 36 mph to help with 34 mph?

Horton

• Administrators

I am not sure about this but I guess I am supposed to ski at Soaked. I am sort of trying to get out of it but we will see. The deal is the boat speed will be 56.5K or 57k. Thinking that I would have to ski at 57k (almost 36mph) and go off the dock at 32 off I gave it a try this weekend.

That first try at 32 off 36 miles an hour was pretty bad. I would have run it except I was laughing too hard. Totally out of control. By the end of one ride my 32s were clean and I almost ran a 35 for my last pass. My second ride was at 35mph (ish) behind a Perfect Pass boat. I ran a ton or 32s and 35s that felt great that set. That boat is extra magic so I am not sure it counts.

What is the point of all this? Skiing at 36 made me realize some things I was doing wrong that are not so obvious at 34. In my case it was hips and shoulders from second wake out. I also made me work on being taller coming into the ball.

I think it is a good way to shine the light on things that I could improve on. 34 mph allows so many mistakes that it is easy to get complacent about some skills.

• Baller
I think this relates to going from 34 to 32. @LeonL went to 32 about a month ago, and he had run 1 35 at 34, I have seen him run 3 or 4 35`s at 32. One of them was the worst pass I have ever seen anyone do hands down and he ran it. His knees were all outta place, he was riding the tail, and alot of other stuff the boat driver and myself were cracking up through pretty much the whole pass and when he somehow got around 6 ball and the exit gates. I wanna say that he ran it again making it back to back 35`s. The point of me telling that, is that you can get away with SO much more at 32 then you can at 34. I know that the same is true from 36 to 34. I have run 32 one time at 36 but I can run it every time at 34. Amazing how much diffrence 2 mph can make.

• Baller

On subject. I practice at 35 mph as well.

Off subject. What is the deal with both open men and MM skiing 35 mph at Soaked? I mean why would a 34 guy go (except for fun of course) and ski against pros in a situation where they are skiiing under harder conditons (faster speed) and the pros are skiing under easier condtions (lower speed). If you just went and skied against them at 36 at least it would be their norm. On a four bouy at 35 the open guys are going to put up silly numbers.

Not trying to start a debate about 41 being "easier" to run at 35 vs. 34. I'm talkin real world here.

• Baller
Skiing a faster speed certainly helps point out problems, but I've found that slower speeds help in fixing them. The only catch with the slower speeds is that you have to have a mission, 100%, of what you're working on while at that speed. For example, I might run 32 mph but be thinking of being patient in the turn and getting stacked on the off-side. 32 gives me time to think about that and execute so that when I bump it up to 34 on the next pass the muscle memory is somewhat there.

• Baller
My guess about the 35mph may be that the set up is short. It will be 4 balls due to the short lake and maybe they feel that they can't get boat to speed. Just I guess. I DO NOT know this for a fact.

• Administrators

@Mr. Jones I think that since the speed is a little slower adding in some other skiers could spice it up. Todd R and Greg G and Chad S could be skiing with Will and Nate.

I will be out first round so I just do not want to look like a total ass.

• Baller

Love you John, and no disrespect to the 34 mph guys you mentioned, but guys who run 41 at 36 are going to crush guys who run mid/deep 41 at 34 if both are at 35. They (open guys) might have some adustment issues if skiing 34, but 35 is just going to feel easy.

Someone asked Nate at Cedar Ridge if he had ever dropped to try 34 for fun. He had. I will not tell what he told us he ran, but it is in another world.