what ski was Todd riding at Nationals

disland

• Baller
I noticed the same thing; but, figure as much to what @ShaneH said. Wasn't Kyle Tate on a Radar for the BD? Home Page article (from Goode) would lead you to believe he was on a Goode. I heard he jumped back on the Goode for the Nationals round.

• Baller
Spoke to Dave at Nationals about the one size fits all. The ski was originally designed for Nick Parsons 6'4" 205lbs. Not necessarily as a one size fits all, but smaller/lighter skiers started trying the ski and liking it. Skiers like Chad Scott and finally Regina are all using the same size ski.

• Supporting Member
BTW, this means the Nano One owns both the men's and women's records at 34. It's gonna be tough for it to grab the men's 36 record just because out of the handful of skiers who are good enough, not many are on one. As always, the skier is more important than the ski. But that doesn't mean the ski is unimportant!

• Baller

@Horton, yes; and I understand it is a result of the design. @Kelvin mentioned that the one size fits all thing was more by accident than plan; I guess that is where I have trouble understanding. The way I understand conventional design; it has alwasys been a matter of surface area based on weight. Short but wide or longer and thinner. Now based on this design; maybe it is just binding placement and fin adjustments.

Either way, I would love to try one. I am trying to convince a number of skier at our club to pitch in and buy one. We can all pass it around and try it out. If I can get 10 people to buy in; we are down to $200 a piece for a community ski.

• Baller

Keep in mind there are "TWO" sizes for the Nano 1, 65.25 and 66.75. Both were at Nationals and should fit a very large range of skiers.

NANO ONE factory settings :

65.25"

Binding placement: 28.75" (+- 1/8) from the tail of the ski to the rear of the front boot.

Fin: .705", 2.491", 6.770"

Wing: 9 degrees

66.75"

Binding placement: 29.75" (+- 1/8) from the tail of the ski to the rear of the front boot.

Fin: .720", 2.491", 6.770"

Wing: 9 degrees

• Baller
Andy Mapple won the French BD. Not sure where your getting your info on graphics, wins or broken skis but your missinformed. The video Dave Goode made after the Canadian BD shows Todd and the same or simillar white top Nano. There were a lot of prototypes going around some the black top D Miller, Regina and some white, C Scott and Todd.

• Administrators

@aussiemc as @BHS said Andy won the French event. I think Todd won in Canada. (If I am wrong I will be corrected quickly)

At Todd's level he may have a few skis that are "almost" the same. Or he may have had a earlier R&D version and then a production version. Different graphic does not really mean older ski. I do not know if Todd is helping Goode with R&D but if he is I would guess he has had a number of similar skis. The N1 has only been on sale for a couple of weeks but Goode has been working on it for... 9 months (?) There is really no way to know.

• Baller
It's funny, when this whole BIg Dawg thing got started I felt like all the skiers were "us". You know, older dudes with jobs skiing 34mph and paying for their own stuff. I don't think it's that way any more and I don't have a problem with it. So I think the only thing you can say for certain about Todd's ski is that he is on a Goode. Same applies to the rest of the top 16 skiers as well.

• Baller

Getting off topic, but in response to @bhs...

The level of the BD is defiantly going up. Guys were saying that sweet 16 was the hardest cut ever. Partly because guys are skiing better, partly because we now have guys like Andy and Todd in the field. I expect to see Rogers soon too. I think this is good for the series and for the sport. Going forward I expect you will have most of the usual suspects make the final and there will be a few spots left for the more regular joes to get in when they ski well, like me this time around.

Almost all (if not all) have real jobs. Only some (not all) of the guys in the sweet 16 get skis for free and usually after providing a lot of design input and representing the company.

• Baller

@bishop8590 let me say I really like the BD! It was great to watch the webcast and I only hope for more.

Should have been clear, yeah I know everyone has a job but I think the list of skiers getting demo/proto or free skis is pretty big and the only thing you can say about their skis is, they are made by the brand printed on the sk. Who knows if it is a current year S2 or N1?

Todd R, Chet, Badal, KP, Andy M, C Scott, M Brown, Ben F and Dave Miller all seem to have some relationship with a ski company. I only bring it up as its been said before, it's hard to make a statement about what they may be skiing on because something is always in development.

• Baller
Just looked at the top 16 and I think we could add Seth and Harrold to the list. So that's 11 of the 16 who have a strong relationship with a ski company. It should increase based on the popularity of the series.

• Baller

Tate and Favret did not ski on the new Nano1 because they were not offered the opportunity.

Ben has won the BD 2 or 3 times. Final 4 I think every time. Kyle was last year winner. Surprised Goode would not make sure those two skier had the latest and best equipment.

@bhs, I hear what you're saying. Im into the Big Dawg too. Love the Series, and the Format, and the skill level is huge. I don't think it could get much better or more entertaining!! If there is a very small disappointment, it's not only the skiers special relationship with ski manufacturers, but to the entire water ski industry in some regard. Mapple, Seth, Chet, Todd, etc work IN the industry. That, as well as the obvious, most of the top finishers are (were) Pro Skiers. All legit and within the rules, but I like the idea of a nobody, back yard built skier as well. Regular skiers like the rest of us, that work up to 12 hours a day behind a desk that never had an Open Rating before. For lack of better words, "Regular Joes".

• Baller
@matthewbrown This is confusing to me. I've read that Andy is 6'1", and this picture sure makes Todd look taller than Andy. I see that Todd has Tennis Shoes on, and Andy is barefoot, but it is quite interesting how much taller he looks than Andy....

• Baller
Although Todd would bump his head on things that Andy would walk under, they look to be about the same height from their feet to their shoulders, so their effective heights are a lot more similar than their ages or resumes.

Todd R is and was on a Nano 1, But it's one of the earlier ones that looks like last years white Nanos.

@jtwhit I understand what you're saying about the top finishers but that's not always the case. There's a lot of great skiers in the Big Dawg field that can win that aren't as "connected" in the industry and do have real jobs.

Still by far the best event around.