Grand Valley State University Going to Nationals

boarditup

Grand Valley State University from Allendale, MI, will be attending Nationals for the first time since the founding of the team just 7-years ago. The have accomplished this without a large dollar sponsor but with the support of the local water skiing community here in Western Michigan. They have put in countless hours on the water zipping past my house whenever there was daylight. If you don't have a home team in the competition, please lend your support to this upstart team and wish them success.

http://www.gvsu.edu/studentlife/stuey/organization.htm?organizationId=2920C1F7-D644-C4E5-C15CBE072B7159A3

• Baller

I think it is an interesting year for midwest waterskiing in general, mad props to GVSU.

Also note, in midwest collegiate skiing,

Wisconsin Lacross, Purdue, Miami Ohio, Cincy and IA State Cyclones, all went Division I, and wild cards MI for div II,

I think we should all note that collegiate skiing has HUGE strides to make in the northern states, the more exposure we can get for some of these schools, particularly in WI, MI, IN, IL, and IA the more the sport stands to grow.

Imagine if you could mobilize a Chicago ski industry like they have in the southern states.

Everyone buy those Collegiate Team T-Shirts and wear them. You will get the "________ has a ski team? My son is going there, he skis!" all the time.

• Baller
@bracemaker very true. It's the move from the hacker club sport to the one that really starts to have a system, recruits and gets competitive. In Iowa it has really made a difference for Iowa State to have access to a quality private site. If the U of Iowa could get same, I believe it would help greatly.

• Baller

@bracemaker they now have a 197 and train both on the IA River but also at Eagle Lake in Waterloo (where I skied on the cheap in residency). They went to Nat's last year.

Bottom line they need a real site in/near Iowa City. Despite all of this, my best friends to this date are from the Iowa ski team...part of the collegiate experience. Again...how do you know this stuff about the IA team, where are you now etc? Send me a PM.