Do RTM skis break down after time?

rawly

• Baller
I'm thinking about buying a used Razor that has been skied frequently and hard(-38) for 2 seasons. They were advertised as a ski that will last. Is that a true statement ? What are your experiences? Thanks in advance

• Baller
I am still on an '07 Fischer, and it hasn't lost any life at all. I thought I might notice some performance decline after skiing an Elite for part of the summer, but when I went back to the Fish, it felt as lively as the brand new Elite. I believe the RTM skis last longer if properly cared for (kept out of the sun, minimizing temperatur extremes, etc). FWIW, I 'm 190 lbs, ski approx 200 sets per year at 34 mph, from -28 to mid -38.

• Baller
My 07 Fisher definately went away after 4 years. I'm 225+, -28 to occasional forays into -38, about 120 sets/yr @ 34. Just didn't want to come off the ball. Compared flex to a buddy's (same, 68 orange, bought about same time) and his was way stiffer. Mine went noodle but still looked brand new. But got a good 4 years out of it. Miss that ski.

• Baller
Mine was a Yellow. Maybe a slightly softer ski is less apt to break down, although thats counter-intuitive. @BRY- Was there any differences in the way you and your buddy skied or took care of your skis? With RTM, I would think that the consistency in fabrication would make the skis behave very similar over the same time/usage period.

• Baller
@Marco I'm a good 30lbs heavier than he is and I ski more (not that I ski that much). He goes 36 also but similar line lenghts. Care pretty much the same, always in bag, no sun and so forth. Both skis looked like new when mine was done, his still does.

• Baller
I skied with Austin Abel this summer. He reps Razors. He said that the RTM skis do eventually lose flex, they just lose it much slower than other skis. He said that flex testing his Razor when new and then after tons of sets it only lost about 10% of the flex that other skis lost in the same amount of time and sets. So he felt you could definitely go longer on an RTM Carbon Fiber ski, but they do eventually lose some flex.

• Baller
I bought a new Razor this year because my Fischer #01 was getting soft. Huge difference between the two skis flexes now and my Fish was very stiff when I got it from @Razorskier1. Of course it already had a million sets on it already but it lasted two seasons for me. No question in my mind. An RTM ski will last longer!

• Baller
My wife has been on an Elite (that we bought used) for 2 full seasons (22-35). I talked to Drew Ross about the ski at a tournament last month asking if he thought it might be getting tired. He felt that the ski should be fine to ride for a good while longer before worrying about it dying. (Good news for our family ski budget as I just purchased a N1)

• Baller
@Horton -- you just say that because you are always on a new ski! Seriously, I punished that Fish before selling it to @thagar, so if he got two more seasons that's pretty darned good. I don't know what the right point is for replacing my Razor. I've got two full seasons on it now. Was figuring somewhere around 5 seasons purely because of cost.

• Baller

@rawly- No need to buy a new handle. Just get a roll of X-treme tape and wrap it around the yoke about 6" below and 3" above the Y. That tape is amazing stuff and works really well. My handle lasted all summer with it, and I've been on the Fischer/Elite the entire time.

Brenda sells it for $10 per roll. Her website is http://www.jlbmfg.com/

• Administrators
@Razorskier1 yes the RTM skis last a long time but most skis last a year or two depending on how hard you ski. I once killed a ski in 20 sets. Ok that was a badly built ski but you get my point.

• Baller
Think they are.The razor owners I ski with have had handle issues.May also be attributed to the fact that the ski doesn't plane as quickly as most skis on starts .Masterline makes a nice handle that is called The Carbon Handle that is supposed to last longer.Check them out,that's the one I'm getting,doesn't sound necessary for you though.

• Baller

Anyone interested in a Razor A68" ?

It has the standard inserts as well as inserts for HO EXO system see-http://ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/5739

Ski is a 2011 with 60-70 sets on it tops! (low sets because of roof job on my house and a nagging knee injury, wich goes way back-has nothing to do with waterskiing, jfyi)

• Baller
I'd love to know someone local who could flex test my Razor. Two full seasons now (plus the fall of the season before). I put on a lot of sets and the ski suffers through temps as low as freezing and as warm as 90s (never sits in direct sunlight though). It would be nice to have an idea of how much you take out of a ski over time.

• Baller
Picked up the used Razor. Ski worked as well as the lower hour one that I demoed. Awesome ski. Don't understand the lack of hype for the Razor. Ski turns sharp, rockets across course,yet it is forgiving and will get you back into the pass that you totally just messed up.Thanks for the feedback guys

• Baller
@Rawly -- I picked up a used one for my wife too. Skis great for her. I'd say it made her immediately a pass better than she was on her Sixam 2 Point. Not sure why there aren't more guys on them except that they don't have the marketing muscle and distribution behind them like the bigger brand skis. I agree with everything you said.

• Baller
Razorskie1,I am Razorskier 6 at Ski West Village.Half of the serious slalom skiers at our lake are on Razors. It started with Hortons test ski,and grew from there.If any of you ballers are thinking about a new ski,you should take the Razor for a test ride.

• Baller
I had my Yellow Fischer for 4 years. Flexed when I bought it and flexed when I sold it. It lost 2lbs on each of the last two flex points towards the tail. I actually think it skied better than when it was new, but the point is that the flex did degrade slightly.