2010 Prophacy

jsta281

• Baller
Hello, first post here, a member from planetnautique suggested I post this question here. I am looking for a "new" ski. I have been skiing the connelly concept. I have never skied the course but I intend on doing so now that I have my own boat, but will always be more of an open water skier. I like to ski fast 34-36 and I try to imulate or imitate course like turns and cuts across the wake. Anyway I have an opportunity to buy a very nice 2010 Prophacy in my size. Asking for opinions on the ski.

• Baller
The Prophecy is a good ski just not the most forgiving on earth. How good the deal actually is would have a lot to do with a "buy" recommendation. Shooting from the hip, I have to agree with @Horton. You could probably find a great deal on a reasonably priced, more forgiving ski on ski-it-again. Potentially a Radar Senate or Vice in the 300-400 range used

• Administrators

There is not a short answer. One is a Honda Civic. It gets the job done and is easy to drive. The other is a crazy rally car that would be terrible to drive around town.

• Baller
Short answer: The more advanced ski requires you to be in better position at precisely the right time in order to ski well on it and stay dry. The more foregiving ski allows you to be out of position and still correct without ending up wet. Both skis are capable of allowing you to ski at a high level. The very shortest ropes may be a bit restricted on the Senate vs the Prophecy, but only the VERY high end of the slalom course.

• Baller

Fair enough, I do understand that explaining something like that is difficult or impossible. Horton is there a thread on here where folks have listed what ski they are riding along with their relevant skill level?

I know I don't know what the heck I am in for if I buy the Prophacy and take it to task learning how to ski the course but I am also not concerned to ride something that "forces" me to do it right. It is doubtful I will ever enter a ski competition, so that 1/2 a buoy or extra foot off the rope will not really ruin my day if it is too much ski for me to learn on.

• Administrators

@jsta281

We are talking about the single most radical ski you could buy. Almost anything else from the major factories would be way better.

To be clear we are talking about the prophecy with a smooth tunnel? Or with step tunnel? The newer one with the step tunnel is not nearly as crazy and would be OK for you. The first generation prophecy is the radical one.

I had the 2009 Prophecy (all black carbon top) with smooth tunnel and would not recommend it for someone just starting to ski the course. It is very unforgiving and very stiff. If your position isn't good at the end of the turn, it will spit you off pretty rapidly.

I made decent progress on the ski, but am now on a 2012 A2 which I find to be considerably more stable and forgiving.

• Baller
I have some history with these skis, currently on a 11' Prophecy. Have ran many bouys on the concept and its very forgiving and great for learning the course. Proceeded to a F1 which was faster but squerely. The prophecy is even more radical and you may not learn the proper technique/ posture. The Prophecy hates to go straight and is only happy on edge.