Ski for Son

AndersonSkiTeam

• Baller
My son is 12, about 90lbs, and is getting into the course. He can easily get through the junior course and is close to getting through 15 off at around 26-28mph. He is using his moms older Obrien Synchro 65". This ski was said to be pretty user friendly which is why I bought it for my wife5-6 years ago. It is lightly used. My wife likes watching her kids ski more than skiing herself. Is this the right ski or should I be getting into a used Senate C, S2, or D3. I liked D3(Kidder) as a kid for the smooth turns but lots of options out there right now. I am happy to not spend more money but if a newer ski would make a big difference I am happy to drop some coin as well. Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Baller_
At that age speed and waight, I often see the seggestion for just about any D3 65". Bigger ski will carry at slower speed and as he grows and skies faster it can grow with him at higher speeds with more waight. I could be off here. Am on the hunt for a 65 D3 for my daughter but trying to find an in expensive one.

• Baller
@eurosport - Its a really good price for the bindings/ski. However be aware that the e-series has some moving parts, which are find for most adults, but if you don't want to be adjusting your kids stuff for him every set, I would probably go for a simpler binding, of course I was that age riding a too big for me ski and broke my leg, so perhaps it could be a good idea.

• Baller

I moved my son off of a wide ride type ski when he was running 30mph. The ski he was on was smaller than a 65" Synchro though it was a 63" HO Odyssey. I moved him to a 65" D3X5 which he skied on a couple of years. My son was bigger than your son though he was probably 120lbs when I moved him off the Odyssey to the X5. As the speed ramped up the X5 didn't seem to turn that well and eventually I moved him to a 66.5" A2 when he was running into 34 mph and weighed 145 or so.

I think most of the suggestions here are good but I would add that I think at 90 lbs as the boat speed ramps up the 65" might be a little big. That said if he can turn it it will work for him.

• Baller

Thanks for the props Jody. Yes, my daughter is doing great on the 64" Sixam 2.0 as are every kid I sold one to last year. Can't get a better ski for the money (in my biased opinion). This was the last ski AM designed for O'brien before jumping ship the 1st time to go to Radar and basically it is a 1.0 Sixam 1/16" wider in the mid. I tried several of the latest and greatest skis this past season and ended up picking a 66" 2.0 as my ski. I truly believe this ski was ahead of it's time as most high end skis are now wider.

Kate (my daughter) went from learning the course 2 years ago on a Virage (spoon shaped RIM ski) until she was running 21 mph longline, then progressed to a 66" Syncro until she was running 26.7 longline & at the end of that year made the switch to the 64" Sixam 2.0. Finished 4th at Nats this year and her last tournament of the year scored 3 @ 22 to take back her #1 ranking in Girls 1 which she lost the 2nd week after Nats. I'm a proud Dad and had to post the last comments.

I'm a firm believer in getting a ski big enough to avoid digging a nose and causing a fall which can gun shy a child. @Wish has it right when he said as your son progresses the speed will increase so the ski size will still be good. $300 for the ski which is a NEW carryover 2008 not used.