Falling Off The Wagon

Brady

• Baller

Well, I slipped up today....BAD!!!!

We have an annual tradition and I succumbed to its evils and I am going to be paying the price tomorrow.

For several years, we fly into New York City and then fly back home the next morning with about 60 Pizzas from one of the best joints on planet Earth, Patsy's Pizzeria. Upon arriving home we have about 40 people over for an authentic New York Pizza Party. Needless to say, the result was not good.

Now that I ate enough pizza to feed a small nation, I am (just like an alcoholic) thinking, "Hey, I already messed up, so let's go to town and drink a quart of egg nog, down a kegger, and eat the damn Bear Claws sitting in the closet."

I will stay strong, but I am pissed as hell at myself for even having one piece, let alone all the others I consumed.

Guess it is back on the wagon I go again. Basically I feel like I had an OTF with food!!! And my gut didn't release from the bindings!!!

Should probably get back to the party as well, but as all you who have been giving me shit about getting Horton over 5 million know, I would rather spend my time here.

• Baller

Thanks Guys. How awesome it is that not only do we all have the support from each other, but that we also have a bunch of accountability buddies!!

I nominate myself to be @ShaneH 's accountability brother. Shane, when you mess up, I want you to know I am here for you, and after you tell me ALL the details, I will be there for you, helping you to get back up, until the next slip up, and we will repeat the process!!!

• Baller
@Brady, I have been contemplating hypnotism or something... I have cumulatively lost 50pounds in the last 2 years and put 75 of them back on. Sugar is an addiction to me, so maybe I need to post a video of me standing up and saying, hello, I am a sugarholic.... Not sure when it happened, as I remember not eating chocolate or candy bars for years at a time, now, I look for something sweet after breakfast.. Skiing aside, I need to get this under control.

@AB I did some self hypnosis tapes (from Sharper Image) when I was about 20 and had put on too many lbs. It worked like a charm and I lost too much weight (I think I bottomed out at 148 lbs. (starting at 186). I had to ultimately intentionally gain weight.

I am actually following the basic concept of those tapes right now without the hypnosis and am down 10 lbs this month. It is coming off more slowly, but they are good habits in my opinion and make a difference for the long term. Combine that with the fact that I started before Thanksgiving and am continuing to progress through the holidays and it's even more impressive. It takes a lot of self control, but it doesn't restrict your diet much (during meals).

It's a simple concept, but one we often forget: It is as follows: (1) Make good food decisions (this is basically optional, but it helps; (2) chew your food slowly and drink water between bites; (3) be mindful of whether you feel full and stop eating the instant you begin to feel full. About 10 minutes later, you will feel much more full than when you stopped eating. Put the rest of the food away for later or toss it.

There will be plenty of food for the next meal. So cleaning the plate, as we were often taught, isn't necessary.

The additional instructions are no eating in between meals, sit down to eat, lots of water, if you're at a restaurant and there's bread, eat about half a roll (no butter) or 1 or two chips, and lay off since you won't be able to enjoy the entree if you fill up, and, finally, when it comes to dessert, have some, but limit it to one or two bites.

You enjoy everything, but don't overeat. The first two or three days is hard, but after that, if you let it, it can be routine.

That's it. It works.

• Baller

@AB. Actually is quite simple!!! U get an accountability buddy who will help you when you are weak! I have zero problems with sugar, but rather with starches like rolls and bear claws and pizza!!!!

The other thing I do is put it out there so I have to perform. I have told everyone here what I plan on doing and I will be damned if I flake on that!!!

I will be that for you bro as well as numerous others here who want u to kick ass and succeed to the best of your ability!

This is a brotherhood with a few women in as well and one of the main purposes for this site is to help skiers improve their skiing.. That improvement is in skis, bindings, technique and any other area u or anyone else here Identifies a need. The final purpose is to lift each other up and pick each other up when we mess up.

So, use me to help u get over the sweets and then go help someone else get over whatever is holding them back!!!!

• Baller
@AB accountability is huge start a food log and get all the crap out of the house. Having to report to my trainer definitely helps me. I can't get all the junk food out of the house because I am the only one in the house really watching what I eat.

• Baller

@Brady, so rolls, bear claws and pizza are bad too?? Geez, I can't catch a break!

My problem is that my wife is a great cook and baker, and I have very little will power.

I know it sounds odd, but I will eat things and not even realize I am eating them, then I get fired up about it later. I have issues...

@brady Patsy's vs. Grimaldi's is a pub fighting topic around here. The families have been fighting for years. Grimaldi's is the best brick-oven pizza in NYC. I say that with hesitation because there are so many. Patsy's is close, but Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and Hoboken is the best. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your gonna go "off the wagon" fall off at Grimaldi's.

• Baller
I haven't been overeating that much, but I have now seen the scale north of 200lbs for several days. In the gym four times a week -- two days of heavy work, two days of lighter work. Lots of legs. Pretty sure most of the gain is in the legs. Not going to worry about it too much before the coming holidays as I'm pretty sure I'll hit 205-210 from food and booze. After that I'm going to have to start focusing on cutting weight back off. Skiing at about 190 seems about right for me. Over 200 -- too much weight!