Slalom World Record idea

bradpski

So i just finished watching a very old ski vid featuring some of skiings greatest breaking the (then) world record,

and it was funny watching the old equipment and towboats, then I came up with a pretty cool idea.

I think it would be awesome to see some of todays greats get together for a fun tourney/fundraiser and try and break the old world records using the same equipment, boat, hairstyles, flouro colours etc that they had to use! I wonder how hard it would be for someone to get on the same ski, boat and equipment Andy used to get to 5@10.75 back in 1985!

Brad P.

• Baller
@FrankS Did you see @TheKrista 's video where she tries to get 2 buoys on a 2x6? I'm wondering if Nate has coached her to get around 3 buoys now? lol Her wipeout on the 2x6 has to be one of the funniest things on film. Well, right there with when she sniffed cinnamon. hahahaha

• Baller
To be honest the skis back in that day (1985) weren't that bad. Most were specially tuned for the skiers style by sandpaper and file by the master ski makers themselves. I saw Saucier fix many a flaw. Obviously what worked then was an entirely different technic than today. More of an afterburner across the wakes to slamming on the brakes type of skiing. Repeat. Strong dudes like Hazelwood, Suyderhound, Bob and Kris Lapoint were the Alpha dogs Drivers attempted to keep the their craft near the middle of the course. Boats had less HP so could be pulled down by the horsws At shorter lines the wakes were blasting skiers eyes and face with beebees as they crossed the wake. Mastercraft ProsEP Stilletto, OB MAch One to name a few. Wonder how they'd ski made out of carbon graphite and todays cores.?

My point exactly Thager, it would be cool to see the capabilities of the legends with todays technology, but not exactly possible, but to see todays elite step back to the old technology and try and adapt would be pretty cool to see how far down the line they would get!

There was a bit in WaterSki mag a few years back where they tried to ski a maha for a few sets. If I recall correctly there were a couple bad falls. You'd hate to see someone get hurt screwing around like that. At the same time, I'd love to see Smith or Parrish take a rip on my old MasterCraft to see how much all the new technology really helps. I still suspect it's much more the skier than the equipment.

• Administrators
@madcityskier if you are talking about KLP's old Maha, I was a part of that WSM article. That ski really sucked! I have a picture in my kitchen of me trying to ski on it. It was really really bad.

• Baller_

What about doing it behind vintage boats with hand driving?

Three years ago at Robin lake I skied behind Nautiques old 61 SN they bring to the Masters every year, With Art Cozier driving. was not a bad pull and times were in record tolerance......via the stop watch.