I'm thinking we need a new boat...

doonez

• Baller_

If there was wood stringers or floor, be aware of soft spots, loose engine mounts and loose pylon mounts.

How about a list of what to look for in a used boat. Things to watch out for, questions to ask owner. Trailer items to look over etc.....

Perhaps somewhere perminent on the site sence the boat buying question comes up often.

@Wish true true - it would need to be checked out. However I am more interested in what people thought of the overall model rather than this particular boat. I worked out that it was not a 1993 because it has a 1994 windscreen on it

• Baller

I have a 94 Open Bow. Skis good. I was probably skiing 34 mph 15 off when I got it and it's gotten me into 35 off.

I pulled a neighbors son at ~ 26 mph long line and he really struggled. He was used to a 94 Prostar. If you'll be pulling slower speeds and longer lines it might not be ideal.

Thanks @ski6jones we would be skiing at that sort of speed quite a lot unfortunately because we are often getting people into the course. How bad is it? I'm skiing into 22off at 36mph at the moment so should be alright at that speed?

• Baller

Good idea @Wish. A good run on the lake with some ski pulls can answer a lot of questions.

Some potential $ checks:

Compression check, if running isn't solid.

When was last spark plug change. 2 summers should be about it.

Leaks around the manifold risers, could cause water to get into crankcase.

Last impeller change.

Steering tightness. Does it have a grease zerk fitting or need repack?

Shaft log dripping or pouring water out?

If it has a heater, when was the last core changed out? They last about 3 years in my world.

Any signs of rust under engine? Shows if it has had water sitting in the bilge a lot.

Blower hose can get dry and develop holes over time.

Trailer brakes working or froze?

Bunk carpet worn? Hitting in more than one place - could warp hull over time.

Just to name a few...

• Baller

Unfortunately I have only that one experience to relate. Most of the guys I ski with have either no kids or grown kids. And since I was never skiing behind this boat at that speed I don't have much to add.

I know the ProStar the kid was used to in that year is a VERY highly regarded boat. Not sure what other options you have and what's available in your price range. Can you get a test ride and take a beginner with you as a test subject?

For me and my skiing I couldn't be happier with it. Solid, reliable, etc.

• Baller

The 90-96 ("No Wake Zone") hull on the SN is a fine hull. 93+ have composite stringers. IMO 93 is the sweet spot since it has the "classic" graphics plus the composite stringers. Never cared for the 94-96 graphics. I owned a 90' for 3 seasons and we were always pulling slow beginner slalom skiers at the time- my wife and I! We liked the wake just fine. I just recently skied one in the course last summer as a "better" skier- 15 to 28 off at 34mph and had NO problem with the wake, and that's skiing a TXi, a TSC1 (00 SN), RLXi (06), and RCB (04) all on a regular basis. Wake at 15 and 22 stood up to the modern boats, no problem at all there. The driving position on these 90-96 SNs is amazing and continues to be a selling point for all SN's since in my opinion. The 91-94 MC driver ergonomics and sightlines are almost wacky in comparison, though I won't argue that the 91-94 MC wake is smaller/softer than the SN from the same era.

As for checking out the boat- mechanicals on these boats are not terribly expensive to replace or overhaul. What will kill you is the interior skins/foam and any glass work/wood rot on stringers (90-92). Heck, even dropping in an entire bobtail motor or trans is not a huge deal and these are far from exotic powerplants. If the interior and exterior are well looked after I'd have to see massive mechanical problems to skip on the boat.

• Baller

Here's me in 2004 completing my first pass ever behind that hull. Should give you a good idea of how soft the wake is- this is at about 28mph, probably a little slower depending on how I had the speedos calibrated.

Another from 2004- terrible quality but you get the idea- hardly a bobble over the wake and I was a very weak skier at the time.

• Baller
I sold my '95 last year, due only to a mid-life crisis. The boat was fantastic, had a very good wake, was great to drive, and was a very solid boat. I skied behind TSC1 hulls regularly and never skied any better behind them. Once a friend bought his '08 196, I noticed a difference in wake softness. Queue mid-life crisis.

I've had a 93 for 14 years. I'm a 28-32 off, 34mph skier, free skiing at 35 and 38 off (36mph). The wake at 35off begins to become a trough. 32 and 28 are more comfortable to me than the much newer Malibus and MC's I also ski behind. The pull isn't as strong as a newer boat (only 240hp) but all around I love mine. I echo the driver position comments. It is comfortable but roomy, good view, the windscreen ends before the seat which I like.

The 94 may have a Pro-tec ignition system. If it does it may have a short life span left. SKIDIM (and others) sell Mallory conversion kits that are easy to install (about $450 parts cost).

One day I'll upgrade to a 2006-2009 196 but until then I've had no problems with the reliability, functionality or skiablity of mine.

• Baller
I know some guys do this Australia for a profit. Not sure if import tax and shipping makes it unprofitable in NZ. The key is to have a trust worthy buyer in the states. Two of my boats went to Australia for resale. There is a shipper based in Compton , Ca who specializes in shipping " toys" to Australia.

• Baller

I have a 1994 Ski Nautique with the 240 HP engine. I think the wake is nice and flat, but some friends of mine won't ski behind it because they say the wake is too hard between 26-30 MPH, but that is only 3 people of all the people I have skied with over the years. I have the 1:1 tranny so when in the course it's pull feels just as strong as a new boat since it has Perfect Pass Stargazer on board since 2008.Compared to today's boats the wake is still flat, but not as soft. If you are out of position when crossing the wakes in the course you will feel a kick to your ski, but not bad. Not sure what the value would be. It still in near mint condition, but has 1680 hours on it. I am planning to replace the coaming pads and engine cover vinyl this winter, and then she will look brand new again. The vinyl in those spots are starting to deteriorate. I thought about trading it in on a new SN200, but I can't afford, nor justify paying on a depreciating asset for more than 7 years. When buying a used boat ask the previous owner if it has been overheated, and how many times. That is what makes an engine "tired". When I take it to the marina the mechanics can't believe she has 1680 hours on her. If you can find on in good condition you will have a good boat. I leave the back seat out most of the time which gives you plenty of room if you have a crew of 4 out skiing. If you have the back seat in, it has a pretty cool feature. The center cushion of the seat bottom detaches and fits in a compartment underneath it's spot which becomes a carpeted step to the platform. The observer seat is gull-wing style which opens up to storage under the bow. . There is a glove compartment, and an ice chest in the center of the dash. My crew and I use it to put clothing in on cold mornings which keeps it dry. If the engine ever completely wears out beyond repair I will drop in a PCM EX343 if possible.

• Baller

For skiing there is nothing better for tricks. It's holeshot is not as fast as the new boats, but pretty close. If you put Stargazer on it you will have an excellent slalom and trick tug. I just put in mine in the water for the season. It still has a top speed of 44 MPH. 0-36MPH 6 seconds. The newer boats do it in 5 seconds.