Wakeye: What's your opinion?

aswinter05

• Administrators

@darren

I sent an email to the owner of Ski-Doc with our message and email address.

@aswinter05

I am not sure if you intended to flag @Darren's post as abusive but I am going to clear it. If I am missing something please send me an email or private message. Horton@BallOfSpray.com

• Administrators
FYI- I love that you guys can mark posts with flags (abusive). It lets me know when someone is really unhappy. It also happens by accident sometimes.

• Baller

The Wakeye design seems pretty similar in concept to the Trakker. I have a Trakker and don't always use it because it is a bit of a hassle to put on and off. There is also the issue of delay with the rope which you cold see in the Wakeye video as well. Finally it can be pretty touchy to the type of camera being used with some issues with stability.

I don't know what the exchange rate is but pricing looks to be similar between the Wakeye and the Trakker.

The e-z-cam looks interesting like a nice simple design. It would be good to see some slalom course video with it.

None of these systems work for tricks if you use a release. I know that Masterline made a camera mount that worked for tricks I am not sure if they are still marketing them.

• Baller

I thought the wakeye video was solid. I see what you mean by the delay but that's how we usually try to record our videos anyway. It's kind of nice to get that HUGE spray in the frame. Makes for really nice still-shots if you have a high-res video camera.

Sorry about the flag. It wasn't accidental. The post just looked fishy to me and the way it was typed. Thought the prior dislikes on other comments were weird too. I meant no harm I assure you. Just wanted to bring it to the attention of the admin in case it wasn't a legit post or user. I apologize once again. I'm sure the dislikes were accidental and the post had good intentions.

• Baller

Has anyone used these camera mounts with a Kodak Playsport? I noticed the ski-doc's video featured what looked to be a mounted Playsport.

So excited to utilize one of these mounts. This summer will mostly by my wife and I in the boat with no passenger to record. I've found the use of video vital to improving my sets. And also the excellent input from some of you rock-stars :)

• Baller

@jwroblew - most likely.

I have a PVC slip cover for my pylon as a pole for the tarp after having the factory poles fall over in storms. So I got a big diameter that slips down to the carpet, then a reducer that fits a small bit that sits on the pylon ball.

PVC pipe and cap would cost around $10 and a nut and bolt to screw into the bottom of your camera $0.25. $10.25 < $75. Also looking at the e-z-cam website I couldn't see any way to shorten the rope and still use the mount, there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the extra rope to go, so do you have to take your rope completely apart for the mount to work. At least the ski doc looks like you can shorten the rope.

• Baller_
@darron do you have to slide the mount completely off to change the loop? And then put back on.? I may have missed that answer in the thread. Just a thought but Lifeaproof has made an amazing waterproof shock proof case for the iPad. Would be awsome to see a system that would clamp onto that and mount to your system. You'd have a 1080p vid cam, monitor, and editing to slow motion all in one. And no worries about it getting damaged. That I would buy. One device and one tracking system. Done.

• Baller_

@darren sorry, but easily add iPad.? How does that work (photos?). I only ask because I would only use an iPad around water with a Lifeproof case. There is no photo mount capability on the case (or the ipad) That would require some kind of bracket to clamp to the case and then attach to your tracker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKliCnn0VAg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Baller

It looks to me like these cylindrical, over-the pylon mounts are not as impacted by slack hits, since they don't have an arm out about 6-12 inches along the rope. That has been my primary complaint with my Trakker. (I know, I know... ski smoother and it's no longer an issue...)

The last issue with camera mounts is vibration from the boat. Anything that can dampen boat vibration on the pylon is also a big win!

FYI - check out this homemade smart phone to tripod mount:

http://rasterweb.net/raster/2012/06/12/iphone-tripod-mount/

http://rasterweb.net/raster/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/phonemount02.jpg

here is a pic of one I made about four years ago. It works great from 15 to 28 then starts to lose the skier at 32 and beyond.

I heated it up too. with a blow torch and then formed it. It was fun making it. probably the oven would work best, my wife didn't like the idea.

If the new ones can get the skier at the short lengths then they are pretty cool.

I put a couple extra pieces on the front so it would help guide the rope a bit better at shorter lines

@darren, I have a Trakker. It works fine, but it is certainly not as easy to switch from Boat to Boat, or Cam. to Cam. as yours. I may look towards getting one of your mounts.

My biggest question is: In your experience, what is the absolute most cost effective (CHEAP W/ GOOD QUALITY!) Cam that one can use? I have a PlaySport ZX5 and it goes haywire when on the Trakker. (like major vibration and freeze ups) I know of others NOT having good Luck w/the x5. (Appearently the older zx3 works well though)

Thx!