Filming Technique.

Phil2360

Just off the phone to a mate in QLD.

(Queensland AUS that is).

Gave me some tips on filming slalom skiing with GoPro's & other cameras.

Trick is to use a second rope, attached to a tube.

Tube rider sits backwards in the tube on the next shortening

& films away with the Go Pro... Easy!..

@Horton, I think this is a good basis for a Video Challenge/Contest!

First Prize....

Kilo Kai!

Sounds like a plan!

Cheers

Phil

• Baller

I've always wanted to try this. I have the "waterproof" Kodak Playsport with a floaty wrist thingy. I REALLY want to get someone in a small inner-tube attached to the transom eyelet and let them film.

I can't imagine this technique being too dangerous unless maybe the skier created a bunch of slack line on the turn........

This would also be cool to film someone barefooting. Attach the barefooter's line to a Fly-High pylon. Attach the tube rope to the transom eyelet. Sounds like a challenge for some of you footers out there!

• Baller
When I read things and then say to myself, "that is stupid crazy" I generally wait for someone else to chime in to say what I'm thinking and then don't post. However, even though others have chimed in I'm posting anyway, this is stupid crazy!!! Don't do it. Even with a shock cord the rope can come back and take gel chunks out of transoms. Something goes wrong and the person in the tube can be in a life threatening situation in a hurry.

• Baller
It has been used for slalom by some of the most rebound photographers in the industry. The tick is to have the skier at 28 off and the tube line measured out so that the tip of the ski could not touch the tube. Pretty easy. You go out of the course and have the skier just cut cross course. Makes for a cool shot.

• Baller

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh. How about stupid crazy if you're not making money filming and on a short rope length?

My assumption was the filming was being done as a coaching technique and therefore would be used at shorter rope lengths where help/analysis is needed. As a "cool" film shot I suppose with an experienced skier (one whose opening pass is 28 or 32) the tube technique is acceptable at 28 off. I'm still more of a safety 1st kind of guy so you won't see me using this technique.

Getting wiped out with a rope was the first thing that came to my mind.

And, with a 35off rope I wouldn't go there. Would maybe consider it at

a longer length with a trusted skier who could run the length rock solid.

Anyway, goes to show they do funny things up in Queensland!

@Chef23

Only had it a week & didn't get to use it last weekend.

What I'd initially like to try is floating it on something

a few feet in from the Buoy, attached to the arm under the water

& then could be turned on & off with the remote.

Would create a different perspective than you get from the boat.

@MattP not true that all practice is sanctioned. Anyone can slalom all they want without USAWS insurance. It's just if you inten to be covered you better have practice sanctioned. And in that case please no tubes with slalom skiers! In truth any rated driver who pulls someone like that ought to be exprelled from the family.

• Baller

@klindy all skiing at my lake is sanctioned practice.. The day the boat goes in, until it comes out.

"You go out of the course and have the skier just cut cross course. Makes for a cool shot."

Talk to the drivers who drive the photo shoots.

• Baller

We have done this a bunch on the wakeboard. Check out the vid below @ 1:06ish for an example of what it looks like.

A few points other than the obvious 'try at your own risk' disclaimer..

1) it is really hard to hold the camera steady even just at wakeboard speed.

2) a gopro would be way too wide an angle. You would barely see the skier except for when he is right behind the boat. The example is using my normal video camera in a home made water housing.

3) I've seen a nice example of mounting the camera on a rope on one of the wake sites. I'll see if I can dig up a link later if anyone is interested, but the idea of it is to use a piece of PVC pipe with a slot in it ( so the v of the handle keeps the PVC from rotating around the rope). The PVC is then taped to the rope and the gopro is mounted to the PVC.

Some other great angles for slalom include from a chase boat (off to the side, so the chase boat isn't hitting the skiers wakes; and for safety of course!)

We have also got some great pics floating about 15 feet inside the slalom balls... But with the rope whizzing over your head, be careful with this one too...

Be careful and use your common sense, but also don't be afraid to experiment and get out there and get some fun vids.

I'm going with @inboardfix the first time.... Stupid Crazy

Like @ShaneH I've been there and had the same thought day after only to try to "refine" the process and try again... this one is not worth the video.

Leads me to this question, what is the best way to get video? For cool shots? For coaching?