Boot Decisions

Glock

• Baller
I'm debating on getting some new boots. I have an HO S2 and am currently on Wileys. My front (right) foot always cramps up after the 4th pass or so and is the main reason for the desire to change. I am considering the Stradas, HO Apex, or HO Exo's. I broke my right foot pretty bad in Animals six years ago and don't want to repeat that. I want the safest boot I can find with good performance and comfort. By the way, I tried the powershells the year after I broke my foot and hated the interlock system. I separated twice and damn near killed myself. Thanks! Oh, I'm a 28off skier, hoping to make it through 32 this year.

Probably the safest is the stradas or the Reflex/fludi motion I prefer the hard shells because they don't ever partially release which I had the stradas do a few times. If you liked the control and feel of the power shell consider double reflex, or double FM Quattro/E-Series. I am on the quattro and no issues.

• Baller

@kfennell - do not mistake this - I use the quattro's myself.

BUT - I think FM is not good if you do not have a willingness to check settings frequently. It is not a set and forget system. It is not one that you can ignore in the garage all winter and then pop up and ski on.

Strada's are much simpler. Of course I like FM's - BUT you do need to pay attention to them.

Safe and light I think it is hard to skip over systems with a liner that is held in with elastic cord.

Strada's. Besides being considered a very safe option, they are absolutely the most comfortable (after Heat molding) Binding that you could ever ask for. Very user friendly with No "Pre-release" issues or daily maint./adjustments... The Sequence plate allows for fast/ez binding adjustments to the 1/8". They will easily take you through -35.

Good luck!

• Baller

As I come back this spring from an ATR injury/surgery (with Animals), I am debating between the new Reflex with the R-style rear, or double Stradas. Leaning toward the Reflex - but this will be my first dive into using a hard shell.

Anyone here that has good experience with both? Thoughts?

• Baller

Take both of these with a grain of salt since it's just my view...

I just got rid of my HO EXO's for the Reflex/Quantum style bindings. I wasn't really impressed with the EXO's. First off they are really heavy! I mean to the point where if I carried a wakeboard and my ski down to the dock, my arm with the ski would be tired halfway to the dock and the wakeboard arm usually didn't ever get tired. I also got a lot of comments on how heavy my ski was. The other thing I realized about the EXO system after not releasing in a few hard falls; in an OTF fall, your back foot will often get pushed into the ski which causes the system to not release. I had a lot of rough falls on a releasable binding set way below my recommended setting. On a plus side... My Reflex and EXO's never really made my foot hurt after a long set.

I seriously considered the Strada's for a while. "Not too tight" is not a term I really comprehend too well and a buddy despised his Strada's because he felt that he couldn't get them snug enough to be comfortable.

EXO Pro's all the way. I have been on them from the start and have never had an issue of not releasing when they needed to. Very comfortable and any extra weight is not an issue when skiing. Even bought the adapter plates so I can demo other skis, also adds a bit of weight and still not an issue. Currently using them on my Nano One. Terrific combo.

Guess I should mention I wear size 8's. My guess size 13's might be a bit heavier

• Baller

@Glock asked, "do you still get good support? Do you ever feel sloppy in the boot?"

Yes. No. The support of the Stradas is excellent to put the ski on edge. Forcibly creating tip pressure might be a little less efficient, but acceptable. I get rear heal lift on every deep water start; I just push it back down once I'm up. I feel completely connected to the ski. I run my laces pretty loose.

• Baller
So do you all think that Stradas are safer than Wileys? I refuse to try the powershells ever agian. That separation fall is the closest I have ever been to death. I actually had a concussion from that and don't remember much from that day. I guess I am debating between the Stradas, Reflex/Fluid Motion, or keeping my Wileys although they get uncomfortable. I just want to keep my feet out of a cast and missing another season. Thanks for all your feedback.

• Baller

Glock,

Wiley's are not terrible, but need some common sense.

First off Wiley's has different runs of product, there is the CBO - which is a lower, less supportive simple rubber binding. There is also the "probuild" which is more supportive, usually snugger. Additionally the size of the boot vs. the shape/size of your foot/ankle, the age/usage of the boot, and the snugness of the overlays are all factors to consider in utilizing the Wileys type of boot.

If for instance, one size binding takes an 11-13 foot, and you're a 13, and you tighten the binding overlay, that is going to retain your foot much more than if you're an 11, with looser settings on the overlays.

Next if you used a trick wrap for a front and a slalom wrap for the rear, you also would have a much more supportive binding, but you won't release the same way.

The CBO is then again a step lower.

I like to link the Stradas, The FM Evolution, the FM Rebel Z, and to a lesser extent the FM Quattros into a similar "pool" of bindings. These are all binding systems where you have an intuition liner, you have a rigid or somewhat rigid outer shell, and you have both feet released separately from the ski.

They do however vary, the Strada and Rebel Z use elastic cord to control how much retention there is of the liner into the outer shell, and you have to consider before increasing tension. FM Evo boots have cuffs that release from the lower boot, and the liners with them, and again tension adjustment. In all three you have to spend a bit of time learning to not tension up the cordage, the shell has the ability to transfer the force of you skiing to the ski, even if not super tight. But you have to trust that.

The FM Quattro is a different animal, if you're curious on it go to the website, watch the videos, you have to pay attention to a few things or you'll end up with the potential for prerelease falls.

For one, the Quattro as factory equipped with the split plate, and velcro middle pad, you have to adjust how much velcro there is, you have to adjust your tension, you have to adjust the plates to have the pin gaps correct when your front boot is in the correct place on the ski, and you have limited adjustment for rear boot positioning. During use you have to check that the velcro is engaged onto the ski (or you can prerelease) you have to check that the plates don't slip, so the pin gap does not get looser (or you can prerelease), you have to remove the pin from the housing, clean it, and lubricate it, or there is the potential to have a non-release situation. But what I have NEVER had on the quattro is a situation where one boot lifts from the ski and the other does not. I had one good superman OTF when I didn't pay particular attention and had removed the pin for cleaning and not turned it back up to my number. And it feels and skis just fine until you hit the wakes a bit forwards. Which separated the zipper on my vest and knocked the wind out of me proper.