Ultra-Ever Dry - Next Game Changer for Water Sports?

ToddL

• Baller

Wow!!! I wonder how a product like this could change the water ski industry? Vests, Swim suits, Wet suits, Gloves, etc that stay dry... Then, think about boat runners on lifts and trailers. But, then... what if portions of hulls and ski surfaces were treated... Might open up new design opportunities to radically change how skis are shaped and perform.

• Baller

Some of the FAQ's:

2. How long will Ultra-Ever Dry coating last?

Answer: Environmental conditions will affect duration and these can vary. Abrasion is the leading cause of reduction in the superhydrophobic coating’s life. Under non-abrasive, static conditions, you should expect to see many years of outdoor service. Indoor applications will exceed that of outdoor applications.

3. What materials will the Ultra-Every Dry adhere or bond to?

Answer: Almost any material is a candidate for Ultra-Ever Dry application; steel, aluminum, other metals, plastic, leather, fabric, wood, concrete, etc.

4. How abrasion-resistant is Ultra-Ever Dry SE 7.6.110?

Answer: One of the breakthroughs for this product is its abrasion resistance. The proprietary material provides more abrasion resistance than previous superhydrophobic materials, registering a result of 110 on the Tabor Abrasion Method (ASTM D4060-10). If abrasion is a concern, testing is recommended. If the superhydrophobic coating is removed due to abrasion, it can be reapplied by re-spraying.

5. Will the superhydrophobic coating still work if the top coat is greatly reduced due to abrasion?

Answer: Yes. In many situations, the superhydrophobic nature of the material may be diminished but the remaining top coat and bottom coat still provide the functionality of keeping the coated material from getting wet, iced-up or corroding. This is application dependent.

6. How many square feet or square meters can a gallon of Ultra-Ever Dry cover?

Answer: A gallon of Ultra-Ever Dry will cover 150 – 180 square feet or 14 - 16 square meters.

7. How is Ultra-Ever Dry applied?

Answer: The two-part system (top and bottom coat) is sprayed on using air sprayers, pump sprayers or even finger trigger sprayers. NOTE: Both parts (top and bottom coat) are required for all applications of Ultra-Ever Dry.

8. How long does Ultra-Ever Dry SE 7.6.110 take to cure?

Answer: Generally about 20 - 30 minutes for the bottom coat and 5-10 minutes for the top coat. This can be reduced by applying heat using an oven or an industrial heat gun or blow dryer.

• Baller

I know. I was thinking about gloves immediately. Then, swim trunks, wet suits...

It seems that it doesn't last forever, so re-applications will be needed.

But, I started wondering about drag between water and surfaces on our skis and boat hulls. I think that a ski with the bottom completely covered in this would not be usable at all. However, If it was applied only on portions where slip and reduced drag would be desirable, then there are opportunities for creativity and trial and error. Maybe only a 1" center line strip of treated surface down the length of a ski would make it faster without loosing stability and function. Who knows...

Same type of creative questions come up with regards to boat hulls. What if the upper sidewalls were treated so as to eliminate water spots?

Wonder how windshields would work... Like Rain-X but different...

• Baller
Windows sound like a great application, boat hulls and ski surfaces are not. The company has stated that a boat will be un handleable and it is advised not to do so. The gunwale of a boat sounds like a logical application though, as do gloves, wetsuit, drysuit, jumpsuit ect.

• Baller

I was thinking a boat hull would be too slippery, even wonder if it would displace water molecules and sink!

Probably not, but it would seem to be unstable.

On the side of a boat it may repel water spots..

Is it safe for skin contact? If you keep water off your hands, they should not get as soft and blister.

• Baller
I would absolutely use that stuff on gloves for cold water skiing because the hands get to cold to go on really quick. Although gloves get some pretty good friction applied to them so I'm not sure how long a coating would last, you might need to treat them several times a season.