Have you ever changed your "front foot"?

aswinter05

• Baller

I always wonder if I started with the correct foot forward. How do I know if my left foot forward was the right choice?

Should I ever try a set on the opposite foot? Just wondering if any of you guys first learned with a particular foot forward, then changed it up later on.

@aswinter05, Here is an old link http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=672 to all you will ever want or need to know about which foot goes fwd... I just read back through it for the fun of it. -Quite interesting to say the least. Warning:; do not start reading unless you intend to finish or it will leave you hangin' and possibly in worse shape then you started... ;-]

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=672

Yes. I switched from RFF to LFF almost 2 years ago. Chose to make the switch after nasty LF break in order to continue skiing. Best and worst decision ever made. Best because it allowed me to continue in the sport and worst if you are unfortunately anything like me you'll regress to the basics of day 1 and still reinvent ways to do things backwards or forwards, or think that you remember how with the wrong foot forward and confuse your left with your right... Life is short, but like @MattP said, film it.

• Baller

I'm RFF and right handed and I tried it years ago... Wasn't coordinated or flexible enough to put my right foot in the rear toe plate. Got up dragging a foot and couldn't "get it in" after like a minute or more. Then physically forced my right foot into the toe plate with my hands and got up that way but it was way weird. If I got injured, I would relearn but I'm happy progressing in my current method.

Do you bike (while coasting), wakeboard, snowboard, or do any other sports where your other foot is forward?

I am Rt. Hand/Foot dominant. I Throw Rt. handed. Kick Rt. footed. Board RFF.

But, I Ski LFF, Bat LFF, Golf LFF, most convincingly I Bowl (Slide foot) LFF.

The significance of the Sub-dominant leg in many other Sports is where it is used as the Pivot or Plant foot. It then is the Primary stabilizer. (Batting, Pitching, Golf, Bowling, Tennis serve,etc...) Most of us grew up doing, practicing and ingraining these very movements in Sports, then someone comes along and arbitrarily tells us to put the Dom. leg up front when learning to Ski. (thankfully it can be done either way)

Skiing with the Sub-dom. foot fwd. creates the benefit for the A-typical Skier to turn his On-side (Strong side) with his sub-dom. arm extended in the turn and he also extends his dom. arm on his Off-side (weak side) turn. Which for some will help to balance out the strengths vs. weaknesses between sides. (Criss/Cross)

It can be done either way. But, a LFF skier that has his dom. leg in the rear has the most symetrical physical advantages and in the Course, also gets the advantage of not wasting an On-side turn on the "Turn in" (partial turn) and finishing 6 ball (partial Turn) on the Off-side, there again not giving up their "better" On-side turn to a 1/2 turn Ball...

But again, it can be done either way and done well...

• Baller

My dad pushed me from behind when I was 8 and my right foot went out in front. Thus I am right foot forward. I do all other sports left foot forward and believe that I am naturally LFF for waterskiing. I have tried it on multiple occasions and really enjoy the difference. Getting out of the water is the most challenging aspect for me. Also might make sense why I am so terrible at trick skiing!

• Baller

Mueller and I bet each other who could ride reverse foot deeper into our passes last year. He went out in practice and ran 39 1/2 off. I ran 35 off. Switch foot and both fell on our openers. Uhhh, I might have fallen on my pullout.

@chrisrossi You already switched from 1hg to a 2hg. Just go ahead and switch feet too. What the hell. :)

• Baller
I am left foot forward, right handed, but I am stronger on my left side. I kick with my right foot. In last 10 years or so I have picked up the ability to write left handed also, can't explain that.. When I started skiing on one ski left foot forward just felt natural to me, can't explain that either.. If I do get on a wakeboard I can switch to rightfoot forward, but never tried it on a trick or slalom ski..

• Baller
I tried it for 2 passes about 30 years ago. I switched from right to LFF in rubber boot with RTP. The first pass I started going left very aggressively as soon as I got up until I plowed my shoulder and face into the water out beside the boat. I was totally out of control. Second start was going back to the drop point and I got dragged about 50 feet on the drop because I could not go right. I was now mad. Second try back into the course and my goal now was only to cross the wake to the right. It took me all the way to the other end just to do it once. Unfortunately this was before the first steam powered video was invented.

• Baller

@chrisrossi you are absolutely right, the hardest part is getting out of the water!! it really doesn't come natural.

I gave LFF a try for 8 sets when my back was fed up with normal skiing. It was incredibly interesting. When it comes to understanding water skiing technique, switching feet is a great thing. Nothing is automatic anymore. You have to think through every single move.

I ended up running 4 at 35 off (34mph - at 36 I was barely able to run 32, it was very scary).